1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who knew what when

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Nov 17, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trump wannabe/bootlicker.

DeBeards likes this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

so, silas acting like a stick now, there aint any carrots....
    dumping the salaries, tanking, silas gonna be the next scapegoat.....it's quite predictable

[​IMG]

3. IBTL

IBTL Member

dantony was gone a long time ago. this was reported by media way back that he would be gone. you guys act like that was new news...why?
    wb knew day he started with rockets and tilman told dantony win and sign contract. it was an incentive deal. dantony could have resigned and gone to nets or wherever but guess what? he wanted to go for it.

tilman told morey and dantony "do what you gotta do" and he gave morey all he could to try to get there. hence the all in 3 ball deal ( name any team that has gone all im for a coach and gm like that ever)

in meantime tilman had his son following morey learning it all. morey is not dumb and saw this and i dont doubt tilman let him know if it didnt get a title that a new coach and a gm co role with tilman and son was coming.

this brooklyn and philly is nice click bait and its normal about now for guys like wb and harden to try to flex input.
    its fine but both under contract and more time to still tweak day 1 roster.

people are trying to create drama out of nothing.sure it sucks they lost to lakers and look far away from lakers still ...but still a top team young hot coach and wb/harden.
    whats wb going to do? go to charlotte?

we already knew all of this

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

ran into this and it made me stop for a few moments ... https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/11...te-push-to-acquire-james-harden-from-rockets/

can anyone verify this as fact? Just tabloid clicks? Hadnt heard this one before.

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Thinking back to this TNT report from Sept. 8:

Morey told the media that the team's top priority was re-upping D'Antoni, and D'Antoni said he appreciated Morey's words but that the decision on returning would be his (D'Antoni's).

At the time, D'Antoni's reply struck me as disrespectful. But in hindsight, the simplest explanation is that by then, D'Antoni knew that Morey no longer spoke for the organization.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont believe that James wanted out BEFORE Morey stepped down. No way.

BHannes2BHonest, kjayp and Deuce like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think there is a whole lot of *chain reaction of events* here. The ripple effects of moves and non-moves. A lot can be written about each event. But my short take is.

1) Tilman did not want MDA back.
    2) Tilman got in the way on the coach search / and would not spend for coaching
    3) Tilman would not spend for FAs thus into the LT
    4) Morey had enough, threw up his hands because he is a competitor and was tired of being handcuffed. He legit stepped down and legit wanted to take a gap year. Philly comes in and offers him the RICHEST GM deal in NBA history and the keys to the kingdom AND will allow him to SPEND into the LT. He takes it. DUH!
    5) Harden sees HIS CLOSE CONFIDANT Morey leave. And sees WHY he left. Harden does not have faith in Tilman & Stone. And is unsure of an unproven coach in Silas.
    6) Harden wants to win, and feels like it can't be here.

I like Silas and think Silas can work here. Yes Stone is unproven. We'll see. But the CORE PROBLEM is Tilman's interference and not spending. If he doesn't do that, problems solved. This is why this is a tragedy. We ALL see the problem. We have seen it for 3 years. It could have been fixed.

Great thread idea @Will

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup! 100% agree

HP3 likes this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

The question is, did Morey tip his hand before leaving and let James know what he was planning? Possibly, could have been a move to lure James away from the Rockets.

HP3 likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Morey's departure itself seems sudden as well though.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is the simplest, sanest explanation I’ve seen.

BHannes2BHonest and Deuce like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thank you. I feel there is more to be said. I think one could expand it and look at how things evolved from when Tilman owned the team. The Rockets had a trajectory starting with the Clippers CP3 trade. Things changed when Tilman owned the team. Starting with the FA period and Ariza. The Rockets as a franchise pivoted and the chain of events and ripple effects lead to where we are today.

kjayp and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The more and more i think about... i think Morey leaving was just a plain ol cheap ass Tilman cost cutting move...

Tilman was prob b****in about lost revenue from China and in general from Covid, while trying to lowball coaching candidates, cutting costs, blah blah blah...

Morey wasnt all enamored with the present situation... knew he could cash in on the open market... said hey, I can leave and you promote Stone for less than yer payin me...

and so it was done...

and Tilman continues his cost cutting endeavors through Stone...

HP3 likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Morey got a better offer. He left on his term. Sux for us (and sux for Tillman), it is what it is.

17. kjayp

He was still under contract for 2 or 3 years to come... the only way he gets outta that contract is by Tilmans desire...

HP3 likes this.
  18. kjayp

if Morey stepped down on his own... and Tilly wasnt happy about it... as DM was still under contract and supposedly taking a gap year... Tilly coulda easily insisted on a non compete clause to void his contract... for at least that next year...

Tilly had to be in favor of the parting of ways...

HP3 likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

DM could just be on good terms with Tilman professionally. So when DM talked to Tilman and ask for an out. Tilman, disappointed, but said OK.

If a boss keeps an unhappy GM on his squad, Tilman will wonder how hard that unhappy person will work for him for those remaining years. So when DM asked to leave, it was pretty much over.

Can't be indenture servitude, what Tillman could have done is a counter offer. If you do that then it has to be a carrot (positive, not negative incentive). Tilly tried that with Harden with the 50 mil 2 year extension that counter offer was turned down.

#59 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    kjayp likes this.
  20. MrJason

MrJason Member

Everyone knows it started when China cut off money to the rockets. Morey has been a dead fish in the water since then. Tillman just waited long enough for the season to end and people to forget.

kjayp and Invisible Fan like this.