1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MLB vet Logan Morrison discussing Astros scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joshfast, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...on-astros-scandal-and-more-with-david-samson/

"The Astros told on themselves and no other team got in trouble for this," Morrison said. "I don't know if other teams were banging trash cans, but I know a lot of other teams were doing some shady stuff. Right, so they go into the Astros and they say, 'Hey we'll give you immunity if you tell us what happened.'

“There's no such thing as immunity, you can't get in trouble for something like this in the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement). There's nothing going to happen to these players, nobody is going to get suspended or fined ever. It's nonexistent. So then these players -- because our union doesn't do the best job of educating players then talk -- they were scared. And then the union found out and said, 'Woah, woah, woah, guys stop telling on yourself.' And so that got to the Red Sox and the Yankees, so they're never going to find out what happened with any other teams."

jacoby, lionaire, gatsby and 14 others like this.
  2. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Man this shitt make my blood boiled. I have said all along that the players should have stfu and nothing would have happen. For this, I have no problem rooting against the players that leave the Astros fearing the scandal would hurt their feelings. Yes you, Springer. I hope you fail wherever you go.

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Fiers put it out there. All the trashcan bangs were there to be heard and there are nerds that have documented evey one of them. Would the Astros players looked any better if they just said I don't know what those bangs were? No doubt other teams have cheated but they didn't use an easily delectable banging sound.

Pistol Pete and RayRay10 like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

I mean...people just don’t care about the facts. It’s easier to scapegoat the Astros and call it a day. I don’t see the overall narrative changes unless something really big happens. Hopefully time will write the correct story, but I’m skeptical anyone will care by that point (except us).

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

And no one wants to admit it but this was more or less corroborated by Joe Kelly earlier this year. I think his quote was something along the lines of being pissed not at the sign-stealing, but at the Astros players caving to MLB, tarnishing the league, and getting guys like Hinch and Beltran canned in order to save their own asses even though their asses didn't even need saving.

I'm fully in the camp of "how f'ing stupid could we be" at this point. Entirely self-inflicted and now forever scapegoated. The greatest dynasty in Houston sports history, on the cusp of being one of the greatest dynasties in MLB history, and we literally screwed ourselves for nothing.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The steroids era put McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds (among many many more) to shame.

Hell even more recent guys like A-Rod, Manny, Tejada, etc. were shamed during the Balco Era... no one even mentions anything in regards to steroids when it comes to these guys historically speaking.

It will never get swept under the bridge because we were the ones that were caught first and also the ones that were reprimanded the hardest. In 10 years no one will really care anymore, but that won't mean that it will go away forever. Sh** like this lingers with fans, especially when they feel like you cheated them out of rings or opportunities to gain them.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Correct. Difference with this sort of scandal is that it inculpates organizations and not just individual players. A lot harder for your typical boneheaded MLB fan to swallow years down the road. It’s easy for fans to accept apologies from specific players and call it a day, because they can rationalize that it wasn’t their favorite team at fault. This technology scandal is a different breed, though.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If anything it should put the Houston players in a better light at least they admitted to wrong doing isn't that the way its supposed to be done.

The greatest dynasty in Houston sports history?

Did you forget whose team site this is?

edwardc likes this.
  10. msn

msn Member

Two championship appearances in three years. One more win, and they're easily better. But, instead they cheated, like all the other cheaters, when they didn't need to, a former pitcher ratted them out, the vultures circled, and we'll never know what could have been.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So championship appearances are better than championships in your mind?

OK?

And what does them cheating have to do with what might have been?

And you don't knock them for cheating and put them over the Rockets?

Seems legit.

edwardc likes this.
  12. msn

msn Member

You didn't understand my take at all. And perhaps not the original take you responded to.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are not saying the Astros "Dynasty" is better than the Rockets?

If that's not what you are saying please explain.

And this is what I was responding too.

The greatest dynasty in Houston sports history, on the cusp of being one of the greatest dynasties in MLB history, and we literally screwed ourselves for nothing.

What did I miss?

14. msn

msn Member

Nope. 2 rings > 1 ring, which I'm sure is your point.

But, I said, "One more win, and they're easily better." My point was they could have been better--were right on the precipice--but instead the scandal blew up, the media vultures circled... you know the story.

And yes, IMO, if the Astros would have won that second chip in 2019 or 2020 (or 2021, but I'm not feeling too optimistic) then they would clearly be the best dynasty in Houston sports history. Not the best endorsement of our history, but it is what it is.

Astrodome likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well the person I responded to said they WERE the greatest Dynasty in Houston sports history that is what I responded too.

So why are you arguing what could be? They lost in the WS before the scandal and went back to the ALCS after so what does the scandal have to do with anything?

What exactly did I miss gain?

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Wait. This is a Comets site?

The Beard, msn and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My bad.

Yeah that's the greatest Dynasty in Houston sports history.

Put some respect on their name.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A hate to say it, but "doing the right thing when you make a mistake" almost always totally backfires.

I remember a case study about the BP oil spill. They basically admitted wrong doing, set up giant funds, etc. to save themselves. The government still instituted giant fines via settlements. The total cost ended up costing BP something like $80-100 BILLION when it was all said and done. The counter argument is a company like Exxon would have ultra-lawyered up, paid the required maritime law fine ($250million), and said see you in court for 2 decades. The estimate of puckering up and fighting would have cost a company like Exxon maybe $10 Billion total.

Nobody gives you a pass for telling the truth. The Astros should have kept their mouths shut and said "talk to the players union".

SemisolidSnake and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would say "Doing the right thing" or "Having the right thing done" sometimes requires the truth, sometimes not. You have to have a sufficient grip on the specific situation at hand to know how the truth or lack of it will affect the outcome. In the case of our guys, they just did what was asked of them without any thought what so ever of the consequences.