1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He’s better than AD!

Vivi likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

do we even need him after getting K-mart JR ?

whiskeyred, saleem and D-rock like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t, let, the, dream, dieeeeeee.

Pringles and treyk3 like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Friday 5PM CST. #soon -Burt Steele

Pringles, Dacamel and RudyTBag like this.
  5. T.MAC

T.MAC Member

Let's turn this glass house into a Wood house!

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

where the doors are always open.

T.MAC likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Curios again why this would have to wait till Free Agency begins to announce? Other FA sign and trades have been agreed upon, in principle, today and yesterday I believe so I am wondering why this specific potential sign and trade would have to wait for Free Agency to open. Is it to avoid any tampering allegations? I am wondering what your thoughts are to keep this hope alive and if there is a valid reason for not just announcing it when we traded Ariza + 16. Avoiding tampering allegations make sense but wonder if there is another reason why this is not allowed to be announced, cap rules, etc?

9. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

The other sign and trades are supposed to wait too. I suspect the Bucks will be in some trouble for announcing the Bogdonavic one. It’s likely why it’s being said to be “in peril” now and both the bucks and Bogdanavic are back tracking

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Serious question here, has there EVER been a moment since Tilman took over the team where all of CF was hoping for a player, but the alternative was saving money, and we got the player? If someone could just name me one time. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I don't have a good memory for these things, so please if anyone can remind me a single time this has happened.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Robert Covington, which actually did both for Tilman.

Wood fits with or without Harden. He and Ben Simmons are the same age. They would be a dynamic front court for years to come.

Wood + Simmons is Tilman saving money.

Wood with Harden is Tilman saving face.

joshuaao and Dacamel like this.
  12. finsraider

finsraider Member

that’s my guess as well. League may have told teams privately they can negotiate given the significant time restraints, but told them to keep it out of the media.

I agree with Morey that the draft needs to be moved after free agency opens. Teams should know where their roster stands so they can know what to do in the draft. It’s not about whoever they would draft...it’s about knowing what deals may need to be struck to fill out rosters.

pbthunder and IslandB.O.I. like this.
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not saying I’m a believer cuz I fully believe TF ain’t spending MLE $$, but a team can get in trouble for an early announcement since speaking to free agents right now would be tampering.

14. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I thought he saved a ton of money on the Capela/Covington deal, so that doesn't qualify.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That's what I'm saying.

Wood could do both just like Covington if Harden is moved.

There is 0 and I mean 0% chance that the Rockets keep Harden and don't finally go into the luxury tax. They know the reputation. Les only did it once. Tilman is going to suck it up and pay it for one year if Harden stays. If it works, he'll get his money back and do it again. If it doesn't he'll cut costs.

The luxury tax isn't some crazy number. It's not a repeater situation. That's not happening. The amount he will lose by saving on the luxury tax is unconscionable. He is a laughing stock. Pride comes before the fall. Tilman is free falling. Does he grab a tree and hold on to dear life or does he fall into the valley below?

joshuaao and harold bingo like this.
  16. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I'd bet money that the rockets don't go into the luxury tax even if they keep Harden.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm not going to do that but I'll do a one month avatar bet for it. If Harden is here on opening night, the Rockets are ever so slightly into the luxury tax. If they are one dollar in, I win. That doesn't mean they finish the season in the luxury tax but Tilman at least wants the illusion of paying it.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t think we are trading Harden this year, but we are making moves to remain competitive if we trade him next summer.

I also don’t think we are going to see a pure Westbrook dump...ie the Knicks, as it wouldn’t have been necessary to move Covington. Perhaps a 3 way might be possible.

NYK in: Westbrook
    Houston In: Wall, Picks from NYK and Washington
    Wash: Cap relief

that would allow Washington to be a player in free agency, maybe even go after Giannis next season.
    Beal would be a great fit next to him.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Is Harden gonna turn Wood into an all star like Tmac turned Strome Swift into an all star?

treyk3 likes this.