1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I miss when we didn’t have sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Nov 17, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I agree, that few month break without sports limited my stress (I get way too invested in my teams, a big fault of mine), and my weeknights especially really opened up. I smoked more meats, dabbled in guitar (already gave up lol), and started playing more video games - I hadn't gamed in probably 15 years and I forgot just how fun it is and what a stress relief it is to play after a hard day's work.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You've been following me around?

To add to your analogy, your car, before it is totaled, has all sorts of illegal upgrades that allow you to speed more easily at 100 than your fellow drivers. And you have the fastest car on the road, hands down, without the extra stuff. Sure, there are a few other cars out there with the same enhancements but most people in Houston just do 100 in their stock cars. It's a time honored tradition to speed. It's part of the game, if you can get away with it. But it's unfair to do it with all of the extra juice.

Headline: Dumbass with illegal enhancements that he absolutely didn't need to speed like everyone else has psycho on board that crashed car, bringing light to his illegal extra upgrades

#22 Xerobull, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Vinyl stickers add horsepower. Illegal mods? You can get damn near 1000hp cars off the lot now. Sorry I modded my Honda Civic to get up to a safe highway speed, so I wouldn't get run over by the Ferraris coming through.

Is it illegal to have a supercomputer that can hack into any government database? No. Plus, I only use it to check emails and browse teh pronz anyway.

4. Xerobull

Speeding = 'stealing' signs, a time honored tradition that makes the game more interesting, everyone is in on it and it isn't even against MLB rules. Speeding with super modded car = stealing signs with electronic equipment, crunching numbers with advanced analytics then conspiring with the players= cheating.

I don't care if 'everyone' does it. We have to hold ourselves and each other accountable.

Character vs Personality Ethic

Love you.

arkoe likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Both of ya'lls analogies suck.:p

Neither has anything to do with the Astros.

I will say you seem to be a bit rigid with your stance on the Astros, but to each its own.

6. Xerobull

Hey man, I was working with what I had....

I'd say being soft with this sort of thing is a huge, systemic issue. It's about accountability, which we should all have. I would let Jose Altuve stay at my house if he was down and out, but I would also ask him WTF happened.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'll play that sport for a 2 year, 103 million dollar contract.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Human nature happened, especially when you know everybody else is doing it.

Do you never speed?

Have you never gotten extra help on a test or copied work from a friend.

This baseball the sport that has a whole lot of grey area, sorry but I think this whole thing was a tempest in teapot, it's not like they went from hardball to T Ball you still had to hit the pitch to an open area.

TWS1986 likes this.
  9. Xerobull

I speed. And I do a lot of things that are outside of what people consider social norms (but not illegal). This is like stealing signs in baseball. It's acceptable. And it's even allowed within the rules. If someone is stealing signs in baseball, they might get plunked. And I might get a ticket for speeding.

But this isn't the same. It was systemic, thought out and organized. That's what isn't acceptable.

The question you should be asking is: Do I have a massive scheme to copy tests in each and every class, Ferris Beuler/Zach Morris style, to game the system and become the valedictorian and get a scholarship? Because that's what the Stros did. And worse, they didn't even need to do it, much like Ferris or Zach, they could have gotten those accolades on their own.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Texas has sports in 2020?

BA1990, TWS1986 and Xerobull like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It is the same it's just the natural evolution as technology has evolved and most of the other teams were doing in so it's the same as stealing signs.

It seems you have not really read up on all the ends and outs of how this had permeated baseball as a whole or maybe you are just that opposed to cheating as a rule but you are wrong to think the Astros did something so egregious and that they were alone.

Its definitely not an example of gaming the system Morris style because they still had to factor in pitch location and even if they got the "code" right its not like having the answers to the test.

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. BA1990

BA1990 Member

I'm new here. Is this normal for fellow Houston fans to crap on their teams? lol.

I get it though, our teams have definitely seen better days. Hopefully we get at least 2 out of 3 on track in the next handful of years.

13. donkeypunch

Are you new to Houston sports? Do you know the fcuktards running the show of the texans and rockets?

14. BA1990

BA1990 Member

New to here yes. New to Houston sports? No, unfortunately I know too well what it's like. I've been following the Astros and Rockets since the early 2000s (maybe late 1999). Texans I've unfortunately followed since their inception.

15. donkeypunch

That should answer your first question then.

16. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Crane isnt a terrible owner but I thought he should have stuck to his guns by not making an example out of Lunhow/Hinch. The treatment by MLB and the national media was ridiculous. That decision by Crane will have a huge impact moving forward.

Also wish the money was there for George. It will be a sad day when he moves on.

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Agree on Springer for sure. I'm pretty confident in believing it was more or less a mandate to clown Hinch/Luhnow and that mandate came from Manfred. If he didn't we may have faced harsher consequences.

18. STR8Thugg

LOL k.

19. STR8Thugg

Neither is the WWE. Oops I mean't NBA.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Xerobull

WWNBA