1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Posted under bleacher report draft day trades:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SinceEverSince, Nov 17, 2020.

1. SinceEverSince

Thoughts?

James Harden to Celtics; Russ to Knicks; Jaylen Brown and Picks to Rockets
    5 OF 5

• 
Michael Dwyer/Associated Press

Boston Celtics Receive: SG James Harden, PF/C P.J. Tucker
New York Knicks Receive: PG Russell Westbrook
Houston Rockets Receive: SG Jaylen Brown, SF Gordon Hayward, F Kevin Knox, PF Julius Randle, C Bobby Portis, Nos. 14, 26 and 30 overall picks, 2022 first-round pick (top-five protected, via Celtics)
If the Rockets end up trading Harden, they might as well tear the whole thing down and find a new home for Westbrook, too.
The Celtics have the assets to pull off a trade for the 2018 MVP, armed with young talent and picks, including three first-rounders in this draft.
This is an all-in move for the C's, one that shoots them past the Milwaukee Bucks and Miami Heat straight to the top of the Eastern Conference. It also prevents the Brooklyn Nets from trading for Harden and creating their own Big Three.
Harden brings his 34.3 points, 6.6 rebounds, 7.5 assists and 1.8 steals to a Celtics starting lineup that would also feature Jayson Tatum, Kemba Walker, Tucker and Daniel Theis, with Marcus Smart serving as sixth man.
The Knicks get Westbrook at a good price, sacrificing no draft picks or elite young talent to receive the 2017 MVP and two-time scoring champion. New York would still have significant cap space heading into 2021 free agency, with one star (two if RJ Barrett makes a leap) already in place.
Houston blows it all the way up, getting a new face of the franchise in Brown.
The 24-year-old averaged 20.3 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 steals as the fourth offensive option some nights and should now thrive in a leading role.
Joining him is Hayward, a veteran capable of keeping the Rockets competitive now with a massive expiring $34.2 million contract heading into a juicy free-agent class. Portis is also on a $15.8 million expiring deal, and Houston can choose to keep the 25-year-old Randle for next season at $19.8 million or buy him out for $4 million. Knox is a 21-year-old former lottery pick who could use a change of scenery.
The Rockets get a whopping four first-round picks, including three in the 2020 draft to begin their on-the-fly rebuild.
Brown is the key piece for the Rockets, but the cap space this deal would create for 2021 puts them over the top.

2. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Holy text block, Batman!

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Boston has been real quiet

Jaylen Brown alone easily trumps BK’s trade package

RocketRed84, saleem, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Need brown and smart

HP3 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I know we all know Brown isn't as valuable as Tatum but he is very very close with Harden.

Tatum + Hayward might be a more realistic package than Brown as weird as it sounds.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Does Brown being close with Harden really matter tho?

There’s no way Ainge would offer Tatum, I can’t see it.

HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Stephen Silas and young players like Jaylen Brown mix like Biscuits n Gravy. It just works.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this is an interesting idea, but would want to tweak it a bit on picks and players.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I mean I can't either but ... yes. Relationships matter in the NBA. Harden having a close friend there would make him happier there. It's why The Nets are his reported team of choice. Ainge knows the landscape. Relationships matter and even though we treat these guys like video game characters, they are human.

Kemba/Smart/Brown/Harden as the core is pretty elite. Harden is objectively better than both Brown and Tatum but both are at minimum future perennial all-stars.

I don't see Harden being traded regardless and I don't see Ainge giving up assets ever.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Remember the last time we had 3 first rounders? Yuck

Isn't this draft weak as heck?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

the Celtics would be much better with Tatum-Harden which alone trumps Harden’s relationship with Brown...Tatum has considerably more potential than Brown and is also already considerably better

max I could see him doing is offering Jaylen Brown, salary filler, and mediocre picks

Ainge might want to think long and hard about trading for Harden tho because if he were to end up in Brooklyn or Philly, Boston is done for the next several years at least

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ainge will never give enough in a trade package.

He'll sit on too many draft picks and semi stars and not give up enough to get a real superstar. And slide into obscurity.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Jaylen can be close to Tatum, it's a steal given how young he is.

He got more potential than he lets on.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't even know if Harden fits in the Boston enviroment, especially next to Kemba (which is a guy i'd have no interest in taking back), personally, i don't see it.

And i don't see Ainge giving up Tatum, then sure, Brown wouldn't be bad, but the picks would so, Brown plus three/four 25th picks isn't exactly exciting to me.

HP3 likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lol, so you’d prefer Caris Levert and the crew?

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Brown a perennial all -star?

I don't see that, I think he would have been in one already, has he made one?

18. raining threes

I like it but I want more 2021 picks and less 2020 picks.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually yes and the only thing that would not put it in a landslide is Leverts injury history.

I just don't see Brown as anything other than a above average player, I don't see him being even the 2nd best player on a championship team.

I think he is really good but I like the quantity of the Nets trade but I am not in love with either.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's the same age as Harden when we traded for him, so give him time. He's already been a big part of Team USA. He has no injury history. He is absolutely brilliant. I'd love him on this team. Ben Simmons or Brown as the first building block is not a bad thing at all and would set us up for another 5+ years of being interesting at least. I still don't think James is being traded and I definitely don't think it's to Boston if he is (It's Philly or nowhere).