1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj]Covington traded for Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 16, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on what the Rockets are trying to accomplish. Some are thinking re-build, others are thinking making Harden happy, others thinking that we are setting up for another move, etc.

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Rockets gave up Capela to try to improve a team featuring two star guards, one which couldn't shoot. They made that trade, giving up a pick in a weak draft, thinking they were adding a key piece for that duo. No one imagined both would want out.

D-rock likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so we agree they can number 4 or 8th I think you left out GS who could also be fighting for HC.

That Finals visit was a fluke they are far more more likely to be out in the 1st round going by history.

Like I said far to many assumptions on that Portland pick.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Is Ariza incredibly intelligent here and alluding that the Rockets are letting RoCo go (giving up a short gain) while stopping a big play (letting Harden walk)?

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I understand why the Rockets traded Capela, and I was a fan of the Covington trade. I also understand the situation has now changed, and the Rockets decided to get what they could for Covington if they decide to embrace a rebuild.

YOLO likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So do we know the protections on the 2021 pick yet?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

lottery protected

Deuce and Haymitch like this.
  8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

You are missing that the rules changed so the draft lottery is now for the top 4 picks instead of the top 3 picks. If you have the worst record the worst you can do now is get the number 5 pick.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This can't be repeated enough. Thank you.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Perkins just said the Rockets acquired Ariza because Ariza is such good friends with Harden and they hope he can convince him to stay.

Again, it's Perkins. I doubt he has connections with the FO here but he knows Harden.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Way to signal the fire sale, jackasses.

You sell your biggest asset first.

D-rock likes this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We been selective as to when we believe Perkins. I will go ahead and say I believe him right now because it fits my narrative.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Interesting. Weren't Harden and RoCo pretty close? I assume not as close as Ariza and Harden so maybe there is something to this. Perkins has been surprisingly accurate recently. I don't feel like Ariza left on bad terms with the players, only management to an extent, but probably understood why the Rockets could not resign him to a large contract and I am sure the Rockets respected the fact that he deserved his last couple of paydays before hanging them up. Just not sure Ariza, the player, does anything to move the needle for Harden since we also lost RoCo. Will need a legit versatile center like Ibaka to interest Harden/Westbrook.

JayGoogle likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this trade is a big deal. bumping it back to the first page where it belongs.

I have to admit i haven't studied the draft. I have no idea if it's deep or shallow. My understanding is that this trade amounts to the 16th pick and a mid to late first round pick sometime in the next year or so. I guess that's a pretty good return if you are rebuilding. But trading Covington was always going to be the easy part. he's a versatile 3 and D player on a value contract. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I want to see how good Stone really is. Show me what you can do with Eric Gordon ;)

s3ts and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

lnchan and D-rock like this.
  17. shlhl

shlhl Member

Why do we trade away Robert Covinton? Where is Ariza? Saw last night Portland game and RC is playing for Portland.

18. shlhl

shlhl Member

It is dumb move if harden stay
    "Still, though, if the Rockets do indeed enter a full rebuild and trade Harden and Westbrook, why give up Covington so early? Surely Houston could've waited to trade him until after the two superstars were gone and created a bidding war between several contending teams that could've used Covington's services. Two first-round picks is a solid get, but the Rockets could've gotten a young player for the future as well from another team. Either way, this move signals that Houston is in the process of selling off pieces, which means a rebuild may be in sight."

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We traded Ariza and a Portland 1st for Wood and a Pistons 1st

We turned Covington into Wood and 2 first

Lloyd Estacio and Patience like this.
  20. shlhl

shlhl Member

If that is case, so far so good. Thanks for the reply.

Lloyd Estacio likes this.