1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj]Covington traded for Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 16, 2020.

1. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Lottery protected

krmclaughlin likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can't be both?

Why is it not a good trade?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are making a whole lot of assumptions about the pick next year and yeah I am happy, Clint could not get that much if we tried and traded him this year.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Explain .... how is it a 50% chance we dont keep our pick when the lottery is top 3 and the worst we can do is #4 with a top 4 protected pick

What am I missing ?!

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Stone trying to get back all the picks Morey/Tilman sent away in the past two years?

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m not making any outlandish assumptions on the pick for next year. Provided the Blazers stay healthy, they are going to be competing for home court advantage in the Western Conference. Covington solves their primary weakness, and they get a full season from Nurkic.

Also, the Rockets gave up #22 in tomorrow’s draft and Capela to essentially move up six spots and acquire what will likely be a late first-round pick and is lottery protected anyway. The vast majority of Rockets’ fans would have been pissed at Morey if all he got for Capela was a late first-round pick and the ability to move up six spots in a weak draft.

YOLO likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't think we could get both Simmons and Beal, regardless, reports lately said multiple teams tried to get Beal (Denver, Brooklyn are the two i remember reading) but he's just not available, Washington wants to compete (lol i know).

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

idk if its 50 pecent , but OKC has a pick swap for 21 i think ... so our pick is basically unprotected , we just have to hope OKC has a worse record than us

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

They want a massive offer, which I believe we could give them using picks from the Harden and Westbrook deals. I don’t think Denver or Brooklyn have that kind of warchest.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not. We broke even for what we traded for Covington. At BEST we broke even. A monkey could trade Covington and get those two picks back.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Also, keep in mind that contenders will likely value Trevor Ariza. Kings got Kent Bazemore (meh) + (2) 2nd round picks just last season while Memphis received Justice Winslow for Andre Iguodala just last year as well after not playing basketball for a long time. Ariza has value so it remains to be seen how we use him going forward as a trade piece or rotational piece. Expiring contract too (12.8 mil). comparing Clint trade to this trade is a little inaccurate since Clint was hurt at the time and I am pretty sure it was a cost cutting move as well. Rockets/Tilman were a little desparate to get under the cap and Morey/MDA were trying to make the most of a roster to surround Russ and Harden with. Worked for a while but not in the playoffs unless MVP Russ shows up which is unlikely at this point especially in the playoffs where teams sag off of him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The Blazers are up and down every year, with the stacked West they could get HC or the 7th seed, like I said you are making assumptions, getting Covington does not vault them over the big 3 in the west and they are on par with everybody else.

The majority of Rocket fans think having any 1st round pick is great in a trade so I really disagree with you.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.:rolleyes:

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't really know how many 1st rounders we would get for James if we already get Simmons from Phila, but let's assume we get 4, would Washington accept that if they want to compete? Second, would it really be worth it for us? Simmons plus Beal seems like a great combo, i agree with that, but still, we're talking about two max contracts and not a potential contender imo, especially if that leaves us in the middle of the pack without assets left.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Just a year ago we said cp3 had the worst contract and yet presti just traded it for asset

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The value of the C has continued to go down since we traded Clint, there are only certain that would trade for him and all of them would be in the lower part of the draft. IMO.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

and as usual a lot of cf's was wrong. But westbrick having shitty value. Nah that's reality as repeadtly confirmed by woj/shams etc and his lack of legitimate interest

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well OKC is tanking now, but we might be too, so who knows

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Acquiring Covington puts the Blazers squarely in the tier with the Nuggets, Jazz, and Mavericks. The only way Portland isn’t competing for home court advantage is if they get ravaged again by injuries. They sucked for the majority of last season because they had nobody to replace Aminu and their entire front court was injured. They made the Western Conference Finals the year before with Aminu and a healthy Nurkic. Covington is a rich man’s Aminu.

I’ll grant you that there are many Rockets’ fans that are simply happy to have a first-round pick, but not all first-round picks are created equal. The hit rate on a late-first round pick in the NBA isn’t that high. I stand by my opinion that the majority of Rockets’ fans would not have been happy if Daryl Morey traded the team’s best young player to move up six spots in the draft from a late first-round pick to a mid first-round pick, along with acquiring a pick that is very likely to be somewhere between 20-30 in the 2021 NBA draft.

YOLO likes this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Exactly.

Patience is virtue.

The masses will be complaining about Westbrook being dealt for nothing in about five months when he's an MVP candidate. You either get a package for him that's worth it or you hold.

fckbandwagons likes this.