1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj]Covington traded for Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 16, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'll be perfectly honest, i just assumed Ariza was completely washed. Didn''t realize he played so decently (well, average, but as you note, a solid average) with the Blazers.

So I've gone from WTF is this... to this makes complete sense.

It definitely seems like they could have gotten more, but that's likely because i was jaded by the fact that absent RoCo, the couldn't have played that style at all last year - he was key to that small ball style, but he's basically a younger Ariza...

2. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Which shows you the value of on-ball defense. And realistically it wasn’t trash. He’s just a 6’9 guy. Trying to guard midgets with quick feet.

RoCo is way, way better than Ariza and it’s visible in any game. We all know this. Let’s not kid ourselves.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Why waive Ariza when you can get at least 2 2nd's for him? He still has value. Also why waive him if Harden may not even be here?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How is he overrated af? He overachieved, had more blocks than Giannis at times who is close to 7 ft.......

treyk3 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's overrated because people on here love to diminish every player who plays on this team because being negative about everything provides them more joy than actually appreciating what we have. This fanbase has gotten gradually worse as the world has gotten rapidly worse.

joshuaao, Fyreball and daywalker02 like this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Not folks. Just one dumbass who loves pushing his moronic agenda.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its over guys.

writing is on the wall. it was fun. we got really close!

now we go back to the days of Kevin Martin and Luis Scola for a few years hoping to land the next star.

I'll still watch. I'll still get invested. Its still bittersweet. Just like the end of Dream and the gang, the end of Tmac/Yao now the end of the James Harden era.

on to the next one baby ROX Nation!

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd imagine a combo package of PJ and Ariza (both playing on expiring contracts) would be attractive to any team that needs wing defenders.

Both to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr's expiring and two 1sts?

9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

This is NOT what I wanted to wake up to this morning. Picks are worthless. This does not signify that they are going to try to make things work. This is the beginning of the end.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Can we get Cole Anthony with the 16th pick?

FLASH21 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

pj should be able to net a 1st rounder in his own. A bunch of team especially contenders would love him especially in a cheap expiring

I wouldn’t be surprised if ariza gets bought out. He has no reason to be here for a rebuild. Or he gets flipped for 2nd rounders

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets (re)building around Ariza like it’s 2009-2010. ;)

”Ariza was dumped on the New Orleans Hornets as part of a four-team trade in August 2010, a deal in which the Rockets wound up with shooting guard Courtney Lee’s much more palatable $1.4 million contract.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  13. showa13

showa13 Member

While this trade is a definite sign of a rebuild, getting 2 firsts and an expiring Ariza for Covington is a very good haul. But this is the type of trade you make as a rebuilding team, and as sad at it may be to see the Harden era end I have cautious optimism things will be ok.

The wildcard is Tilman and his questionable finances/overly involved son

14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Lol. Because it makes no sense is the reason our rookie GM and dumbass owner would do it.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Again no he didn’t.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Harden? Yes he did. I don't know where you get your information from but it's consistently wrong and I'm wasting posts on you.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Many of our insiders have said multiple times that JH was perfectly fine playing with CP. it was Tilman who made Morey pull the trigger on WB.

YOLO likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Seems like you have a mix up going on.

Morey was fine with keeping CP. Harden and Tilman wanted Russ at any cost.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

There’s people on this board that have their own made up narratives regardless of what’s reality and already proven. It’s their own little way to make themselves feel better.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah he's underrated as a center, but over rated as a forward. Covington doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard the perimeter, it actually created match up problems for us when everyone went small.

Covington excels at a lot of things, but also has glaring weaknesses on offense and defense. The man cannot dribble the ball or make a open layup sometimes, but then again most people on our team can't either

daywalker02 likes this.