1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj]Covington traded for Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I do lean towards rebuild but this could still go either way. First round picks are currency to acquire needs if they go that route. We will find out soon enough.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Is Aaron Brooks back yet?

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  3. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

This is like 2009 all over again.

Ramo$e and HP3 like this.
  4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

sir... the website not working?

5. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Chess not checkers

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a bit flaky, @Clutch.

This is nerve wracking, to say the least. Wish we knew the protections on the '21 pick. We'll find out eventually. I hate waiting.

joshuaao, AleksandarN and Plowman like this.
  7. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This always happen during trade season. Website and BBs are being bombarded. With constant refreshes.

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought I'd check clutchfans one last time before bed.

Now, I'm trying to figure out exactly what form of existential dread my nightmares will bring tonight. Probably something involving ten wins and me in my underwear.

9. riko

riko Member

If there was any doubt about harden leaving then this should pretty much ice the deal. When you trade Covington for a has been Trevor and picks its saying our main intention was to get picks and not instant help to compete.
    Time to trade Tucker as well for a 1 st rounder

Corrosion likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is this a cost saving move? I see only a portion of Ariza contract is guaranteed.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Ariza will come off contract after a year, I am not sure how cap room will help as who will now want to come to Houston now. This might be the driest period since the 1970's or something. Good thing I sort of got used to not watching the Rockets when Covid started.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man, Ariza just can't escape this team lol.

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Again I don't hate the trade but it doesn't make sense to me.

If the rockets don't trade harden this season, this trade doesn't make sense. The 16th pick and a pick next year isn't going to help harden and the rockets in the short term.

If the rockets do trade harden this season, especi6 if they acquire ben simmons + picks and whatever else. Wouldn't pairing 29 yr old covington with simmons, Gordon, tucker and whomever else they acquire make the team much more competitive.

Furthermore, the rockets wouldn't be lacking picks in the event they trade harden.

Unless they used the picks from this trade to acquire buddy hield or similar, this trade seems to me... inexplicable.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good luck being able to sleep. I'm dreading what's in the process of going down. We are likely going from a contending team to something else entirely.

All those who wanted to "Blow it up?" Just remember you posted that. If it's what "we" are in fact doing, "fun" is not guaranteed. Long stretches of misery just might be, with the surety of happy dancing at the end not assured at all.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The Bucks showing Giannis they want to win going all out right now. Then there is Tilman lmaoooooo

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The only way it makes sense on its own is if Harden specifically wanted Ariza back on the team and it's some desperate attempt to please him.

Otherwise, as someone else mentioned, this trade doesn't make sense on its own. It's a precursor to something bigger definitely.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I’m sure that future pick is heavily protected.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

RoCo, Gordon, and Tucker would all be old by the time a Simmons led Rockets team is ready to compete. They are better off taking swings in the draft. They still have their 22 and 23 picks and if they are truly bad they can keep their 21 pick if it's top 4.

dje243 and AXG like this.
  19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well guys the Rockets org will always have 1994 and 1995. . . . Even in 2094 and 2095 when they celebrate the 100 years since their Championships.

20. Audioout

Audioout Member

Might as well screw over the rest of the NBA and send Harden and House to Golden State for Wiggins, Green, and the first overall pick.