1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Should Dwight Howard be in Basketball Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 14, 2020.

?

Should Dwight Howard be in HoF

1. Yes, he should be in.

62 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. No, he didn't do enough

41 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. I abstain

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. omgTHEpotential

Dino Radja is a hall-of-famer. So yes, Dwight will be one as well, and it's not close.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you take into account the douche factor it’s pretty close.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I only remember Yao, Deke and Chuck dominating his ass every game they matched up. Never looked too great to me. :p

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He's gonna make it cause they just let anyone in. Look at this list:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_star_by_player.html
    Only one player (Larry Foust) who has 7 all star appearances isn't in the hall. Honestly even Joe Johnson might make it. The NBA kinda needs to redo the hall or make some other new tier of achievement to return the prestige.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The HOF includes college personnel, some oversea inductees and arguably amateur players so it's not just about 'prestige' of the highest form.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Even just looking at the NBA players there, a lot of them had mediocre careers and definitely fall short of the best of the best. Mitch Richmond, Dave Bing, Gail Goodrich, etc. If they're trying to add like 3 every year they're gonna run out of truly elite players and they'll have to settle for mid level stars.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Only a Harden fanboy will ask such dumb fork question.

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

nah, he's nothing but a idiot

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Anyone voting "no" clearly has no idea about the HoF and what players are in it.

sealclubber1016 and roslolian like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are putting too high a standard on the HOF. You realize a women's bball coach and the first WNBA team owner is in the HOF?

Tell me how those guys get in while Multi time all star, Multi DPOY, led his crappy to the Finals and NBA champ Dwight Howard barely deserves to be in the HOF?

You cant have different standards for diff people to get in the HOF. If you have scrubs getting in the HOF then you cant have a better player not make the HOF. Thats just unfair.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We have this discussion about players far too often.

You don't need to be a perennial MVP candidate, if you are an all-star level player for a few years you have a good shot. Dwight Howard was a superstar for almost a decade, he should and will get in very easily based on usual standards. The actual question would apply to guys like LaMarcus Aldridge or Blake Griffin.

Jayzers_100 and YOLO like this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I really dread the day Dwight enters the Hall of Fame and gives a speech based on fart jokes.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

In the last seven years, Mitch Richmond (79 career winshares), Alonzo Mourning (90 career winshares), Tracy McGrady (97 WS) and Allen Iverson (99 WS) got in without a bit of controversy. Dwight (134 WS) is a mortal lock, no one should give a damn if the second half of his career wasn't storybook.

No Worries likes this.
  14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sexist much? They have names and accomplished stuff.

Dwight has a career in basketball that is 100% NBA so everything he's done is what he's judged on. He didn't change the game, he didn't widen the path for anyone.. he just played. Therefore he should be judged as an NBA player only.

I bet these mystery people did something so insignificant like winning in another league or helping start an entire league for women to play and an entirely new audience to watch those games.

Pull you head out of the sand, bro. It's 2020. Women matter a lot. We have a female vice president coming named Kamala! Also, who are all these people you're talking about? None of them are scrubs. I can assure you that.

And to finish it all off... yes. Yes you can have different standards for different people to get into the hall of fame. Centers have different standards than Point Guards. People who start a basketball league are given different standards than someone who buys a team in an established league. Again.. pull your head out of...

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How did Mitch Richmond have a mediocre career? He didn't win a lot in the playoffs certainly but he was an excellent player for a solid ten years.

16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He was aiiiight. Good but not ever MVP level. Maybe like Dame or PG in this current era. If I was trying to make a real real Half of fame, one with real oomph, I'd want it to only have like the top 5 or so players of each decade. Then it'd really represent the best of the best to ever play the sport.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I am not being sexist it is called the BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME. When talking about bball the NBA is the apex cuz thats the highest level of basketball. Thats why NBA players have to be the standard the things Dwight has done is far more lofty than what the WNBA coach has done. WNBA is a 2nd tier league nobody watches it, it is operating at a loss and only subsidized by the NBA. It is no diff from a small league overseas. WNBA players arent particularly skilled either, can they beat the top NCAA teams? I dont really know, but I do know the top Euroleague teams would destroy them so they are around that level.

Ok we have different standards of bball for diff leagues cool, cool, I like that. When we gonna induct my man Robert Jaworski, he is the Jordan of the Philippines. I mean different standards for different leagues right? You have different criteria for player positions and diff criteria for different leagues.

Surely the Michael Jordan of the Filipino basketball league deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. And what about Isiah Hartenstein? Dude was b2b Gleague champ and an MVP. Ok WNBA teams arent scrubs but I bet Hartenstein and a group of Gleaguers would destroy the very best WNBA team in history. So Isiah deserves to be in the HOF too right? Cuz he is better than WNBA HOF who according to you are among the best in the world. If you beat the best then you are the bestest, and you deserve everything the best have and more. Plus Gleague is again a different league right? You gotta have different standards for different leagues remember thats what you said.

And what about Takehiko Inoue, the mangaka of Slam Dunk? He basically popularized bball in Japan, and inspiring a whole nation (and essentially entire Asia cuz we loved that ****) to love bball is far harder than owning a women's basketball team. Theres been lots of wnba team owners even Harden is a team owner. There's only one Slam Dunk author so surely Talehiko Inoue deserves to be inducted as well.

P.S. As far as I know treating bball players solely on popularity and skill level irregardless of gender is not sexist, in fact it is the opposite. Once you make divisions based on gender thats when you become Sexist. If these sexes were races and you started separating and treating people based on races what would that make you?

Men and women arent the only genders anymore, you got trans, bisexual, nonbinary, lgbt, nonsexual etc. If you think women need to be treated differently cuz they are opening new paths the first non binary bball player also opened a new path and widened horizons, before them/they started there wasnt a non binary bball player and now there is. Them/They surely deserves to be in the HOF since being the first of your kind is more of a landmark than being "just" another team owner. Get your mind out of the gutter its 2020.

#37 roslolian, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Bro.

Gail Goodrich won 2 National Championship and an NBA championship and was a freaking beast. Dave Bing is an all-time top 50 NBA player. How many guys they got in the HOF? Terrible examples of guys that “don’t deserve it”...

19. JW86

JW86 Member

Hall of Fame, why is this still being discussed? Any solid player with a long career gets in so Dwight will be in. It's a joke.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member