1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden - Simmons trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Let me break it down for you. Ben Simmons is not a scorer. He never has been. This is probably why his usage statistic is so low. He is also efficient in passing/assists which doesn’t factor into usage percentage. If you watch him play he is very limited in scoring. He is not russ or even Giannis beating you off the dribble at his will. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it from time to time it just means he doesn’t have the stop go explosion like those guys. He scores mainly camped out in the paint getting the ball deep. He also scores off low block and elbows backing his way to the rim. His game is more crafty making up for his lack of skill and explosiveness. I think he is a very good player in the open court. Great passer. Decent 1-1 defender with length. Can play all 5 positions. But his offensive skills are too limited which makes him difficult to trade for with the salary he is making.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Did kobe put together a historic scoring run like harden did in 2018-2019? Did he ever avg 30+ 3 years straight? Were his fg% or efg% better than harden’s? Ok.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

4. riko

riko Member

Yep Tillman’s ego is going to force us to take the lesser offer if Harden truly wants out which I believe privately he does.

BHannes2BHonest and Caesar like this.
  5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

LOL

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Oh and btw kobe was the highest scoring player of his decade 2000-2009 and Harden was 2010-2019 3 of those years harden didn’t start. Also kobe had 3838 more pts than harden in that span. But harden would eclipse that number if he had started only needing to average 15.6 pts in those 3 years. Instead he was on the OKC bench. So yes according to the numbers and the eye test harden is a more dynamic offensive player than Kobe.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

And for me, wanting Silas before we hired MDA and wanting Silas this offseason, with Simmons in a rebuild, i'd actually wish we kept D'Antoni to turn Simmons into an MVP point. Either way, Simmons is really all there is. **** Morey, indeed, but can't let ego get in the way. Morey is smart. He knew what he was doing and was taking calls. He knows what's out there for Harden and he went to the one team where it's logical and he can win with Harden/Ebmiid squad. I think Harden let Morey know he wanted out

8. hakeemthagreat

The media would LOVE for us to trade Harden for Simmons lol. So we'd basically trade the best scorer in nba history, for a player who won't even attempt open jumpshots. Hopefully Tilman doesn't go full Bill O'brien and trade away superstars for peanuts

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Interesting. There’s a lot of possibilities here. I don’t know if Harden told Morey he wants out if that’s the case why hasn’t he gone public with it. I do think Morey sensed that Harden might leave at some point the next 3 years and knowing the Rockets cap situation increased his odds of landing harden. And maybe far fetched but did he screw the Rockets out of draft picks with the Russ trade because he foresaw himself leaving the Rockets? Was this all pre meditated? And another scenario did Harden and Russ likely colluded an exit strategy if things go south or if they don’t agree with the organization? And again maybe far fetched but Is Russ’ trade demand a strategic ploy to force the Rockets to meet his demands of improving the team knowing there’s limited trade partners out there? You just have to wonder.

#129 Stephen_A, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Caesar likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah its amazing how limited Simmons offensive game is. He lacks skill and explosion so he catches defenders off guard as he brings the ball up half court and picks up his dribble when he sees a lane but he isn’t a guy taking you off the dribble with assortment of moves and an explosive first step. He cuts a lot and scores down low and at the elbows. So unfortunate since he is so gifted in all other aspects of the game.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's all far fetched for sure, but not impossible that there was some ****ery aimed at Tilman. A lot of this feels like the media pushing the agenda and forcing a break up between Russ and Harden and both wanting out and the media throwing in their little dream scenarios where our players end up on big market teams for next to nothing. Makes you wonder if Morey didn't use sources to leak out false rumors and get it all started as it did align with his signing in Phila. This would create friction enough to start the separation process while also devaluing. It's crazy how manipulative and how many narcissistic traits that job entails.
    I do think Harden respects the organization and is likely trying to move on behind the scenes, but had likely discussed possible future team up with Morey in Phila, though i think he'd prefer to team up with KD in Brooklyn. If they don't win it next year, and fit was an issue, Kyrie is easily moveable for better fit around KD/Harden duo IMO. With the Sixers, he has to rely on Embiid's health.

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It’s over your pay grade kid. You would have said the same about Harden while with the Thunder.

My mistake is trying to respond to every reply. You are criticizing a team put together weeks ago when the thought
    was Harden would demand a trade if Westbrook was traded. Sit out a year or two with surgeries and not play
    much like Kyrie Irving threatened to get out of Boston.

So our team was going to be far worse than the team I suggested because no team gives you anything when the
    player demands a trade. Since then things have changed and I would not have scenarios involving trades of Harden.
    Caught up with people and don’t post stuff weeks after the fact.

Weeks ago I was blowing up the team and trying to get the best pieces I could within a Tilman budget
    world. It’s easy playing with Monopoly money and put Klay Thompson with Myles Turner with Mo Bamba with Aaron Gordon with Devin Booker with Jayson Tatum when money is no object. In a Tillman world money keeps us from putting a good team together. Things change day to day kid. Keep up.

#132 ApacheWarrior, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  13. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Don't be doofy. Just because someone had a better run doesn't be the other person isn't great too.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol what? Your ridiculous response has nothing to do with my statement. Nothing. Do you realize that? Which means that you are deflecting and trying to argue for the sake of arguing or winning lmao. Oh and I didn’t know you’re a GM now lol

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

i never said he wasn’t great did I? I said not as great a scorer. You mistake. Reading comprehension my man/lady

16. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Kobe is just as great a scorer. It's cool that you're new to basketball. Just be humble about learning

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol again missing the point and too focused on proving me wrong and insulting me lol. Foolish. Stupid.

18. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Honestly didn't even finish reading ur post because is started so bad. Your opinion from there on out could not be trusted and now ur feelings are hurt after insulting my reading comprehension

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Maybe its just me but if we're gonna end up trading Harden anyway I'd prefer to bottom out completely and be the worst team in the league for a few years to bleed Tillman out and force him to sell. Run this next year back and if he still wants out, trade him for Jalen Green then trade anything left to get Emoni Bates the next year and enjoy that slow burn while pushing Tilly into the Red.

20. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

This is one thing Tilman won’t do because he literally wouldn’t be able to “afford” it.

simmons will not put butts in the seats as our only “star”.....and I’m not a fan of his game at all... but when fans come back that Toyota center will hear crickets