1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS-Boston] Gordon Hayward might opt-out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Nov 8, 2020.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Would be an idiot to opt out in this climate

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The dumbest ish I’ve ever heard

Rudyc281 and Rocket River like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he would get paid easily, he would be the best FA available if he enters free agency (assuming Davis stays in L.A).

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

No one giving him 34 million for one year. He might get 30 for 3 years

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, i'm not saying he's getting a max, but i'd say getting a 90Mx3 contract still means getting paid ;)

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'd be shocked he gets more than 20 per

Rocket River

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i wouldn't, if he opts out he's the best free agent available, a two way wing that can create, shoot, pass, guard 3/4 positions...personally i would be shocked if he doesn't get at least 20M per season (which is what someone like Gordon gets), but that's just me. I don't expect him to get a max, but something in the 25/30M range per season eh, i wouldn't bet against it.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Gordon Hayward opts out this offseason and gets an annual average salary of $30 million a year for more than one year I will make a donation on your behalf to @Clutch so you can be a supporting member.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Leverage to demand a trade. I could be him opting out and taking a 1 year 25 mill deal somewhere else if he really feels like the Celtics system will hold him back.

Knicks, Pelicans, Hawks, Heat could all give him a 1 year deal to see what he can do.

10. mightybosstone

Miami would have to dump a lot of salary to have that much cap room, and New Orleans isn't likely to have that much room if they plan on keeping Ingram. Atlanta and New York have the cap room, but if you're Hayward, do you really want to leave a contender to play for cellar dwellers in Atlanta or New York? If I'm Hayward, the one team with cap space that would intrigue me would be Memphis. They're already a borderline playoff team with a superstar point guard in the making, and they're projected to have as much as $50M in space. Phoenix will probably have $20M-$25M, and they would be intriguing as well.

Edit: Actually after pulling up Miami's cap situation, they have way less on the books than I thought. I didn't realize so much of their roster was free agents.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It would be Hayward betting on himself.

The Celtics seems to be a bit like the Spurs, the players play within their system, good for winning but not for pumping up stats for a big contract.

Haywards injuries are clearly the cause for his diminished role in Boston, but he might also be putting some blame on the team naturally, Tatum/Walker/Brown is a lot of chefs in the kitchen for someone trying to earn another max.

If Hayward goes to the Knicks he might be able to put up a 25ppg season and recoup his value.

12. Lovemachine2000

Hayward must be taking contract advice from ex-Celtics legend Isaiah Thomas.

Milk Haiir and BigShasta like this.
  13. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

No player will opt out of that contract unless they have an under the table handshake by another team who’s willing to pay him more over the course of longer years.
    I can see a team like PHI with DM who’s loved GH game since his time at Butler. Of course PHI would have to move Harris and Horford‘s contracts but in today’s NBA where Westbrook and CP3’s contract where moved I won’t rule anything out.
    If anyone is thinking the Rockets have a chance I’m sorry to break it to you but they don’t. Unless they are willing to move Gordon and either PJ or Covington I don’t see that happening.
    A team to look out for is MIA who wanted Hayward before he left to BOS. Atlanta may be a surprise if the chose to entertain a guy like Hayward but they definitely have the most cap space to spend. And of course you have NY that desperately needs shooters to surround RJ.

LCAhmed and Vivi like this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, Spurs and Pacers are also teams i can see having interest in Hayward depending on what they'll end doing with Derozan, Oladipo/Turner.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

malakas and Vivi like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hawks insider has been talking about Hayward to Atlanta a lot in the recent weeks.

Rockets FTW and malakas like this.
  17. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

The Celtics appear to have so much buyers remorse after signing Hayward and Kemba Walker

malakas likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

It is the small market fans puting the jinx on them.
    Cavs, Utah and Charlotte.

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

I'm honestly shocked there's been this much interest in him