1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

That was two years ago.

Rudyc281, D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They were fooling Morey, no one wanted to give up a useful player for a wounded Knight.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

So simple no other team did it.

Except the Pistons.

But I agree, I and some others on CF discussed bringing him back even after he was let go by Bucks.

saleem likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Will not need MLE to sign Vonleh. He signed for less with Minny last season.

And he did not play well enough to garner more than vet min IMO. Good thing is he is still 25.

Even though Vonleh not as explosive as Capela he is also 6'10 (maybe 6'9 barefoot) with a 7'4.25 wingspan. Was a 48% 3P shooter coming out of college but has only been 31% in NBA career so far.

But his length, size, skillset is a fit in Rockets system and Harden should be able to empower him and weaponize him.

#104 D-rock, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    jch1911 and saleem like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would make that trade. Including picks coming our way. As @D-rock can confirm we have been trying to find a way of bringing Aaron Gordon to Houston for years. He scores well in
    all offensive metrics: iso/ Roll-man (in PnR)/ Ball-handler (In PnR)/ Off Screens/ Handoffs/ Catch n Shoot/ Put-Backs/ Fast-breaks.

Not off the charts in any play type but solid 70+ NBA percentile in close to all play types. Few players give you such balance without breaking the bank / earning $40 + million a season.

Breaking down the Westbrook contract over multiple players would be a success. Easier to trade the parts coming back in return. Fournier is serviceable with nice point total per game and below 30 years of age.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

taking on additional salary to the capela-roco deal doesn't fit the quote that "they called us and we said yes" that stone said. no team would call and be like hey you working on a 4 team deal? any chance we can get in on that and dump salary, sending you way over the tax? just doesn't add up. if morey wanted to add salary to the roco trade, he'd be the one calling around. if the hawks, wolves, or nuggets wanted to be the ones to add salary to the rockets (and the rockets said yes) there's no reason it wouldn't have happened.

I'm going to stick with my guess that it was a different deal for capela, one where we take back a larger contract. didn't happen so they decided to use him to duck the tax and pick up roco.

maybe it was for Hayward? Drummond? Hield? Horford is a possibility, so is love. I don't see the spurs making mid-season deals ever, so maybe not LMA. and yes, Harris' contract is a definite no lol. but remember the rockets can the hawks lined up to take capela for a pick, they could've sent that pick to the sixers for horford instead of capela directly.

Vivi likes this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good point but Jordan makes less money than capela and wouldn't have sent us over the tax line as stone was describing.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, can't believe i forgot about Hayward, could've been him especially considering there's definitely something going on between him and Boston, apparently they want to resign him for cheap but Hayward wants to get paid and is scared that Boston wants to resign him just to trade him. Wouldn't be shocked if Ainge was already thinking about shipping him months ago, they maxed Kemba, paid Brown, Tatum is going to get his max in a year...keeping Hayward at 30M or more sounds like a waste for them, and we knew they had interest in Capela.

D-rock likes this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I like this one too. as I've said before anytime harden has played with a big who can make a play he's had great synergy with them. its just been few and far between.

I also really like the idea of splitting rus into 2-3 solid starters. the way I see it is we either go all in on a 3rd "star", something like gordon/pj for horford. which gives us basically rus harden horford and roco with minimum guys around them. the strategy being to overwhelm teams with talent at the top of our roster. this would require paying the tax though.

or

split rus into 2-3 starers and build great depth and great fit around harden. say gordon/fournier/picks, or rubio/oubre/10, or Beverley/zubac/lou, etc...

either way could work to sneak in a title this year or next.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

People really sleep on how good Capela was for us. It’s very unfortunate he was a bad match vs the Warriors because he was an exceptional Center for us.

I’m not sad we moved on from him, I’m also happy we have Covington, but people acting like any 6’10+ Center can do what he did.

Next year we’re really going to see how much we miss having a skilled Center like him and probably prefer to have him over Roco. What he brought to the team wasn’t because of a Mike D’antoni offense.

BigMaloe, fattz, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Gordon Hayward and Robert "Timelord" Williams would have been nice.

But would have needed more than Capela's salary to make that work.

Vivi likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you, CLint had terrific chemistry with Harden, that's not something easy to replicate, no matter how good the player is, you could get a similar and better player than Capela and he might not work as well with James, see CP3 with DeAndre (day) and with Clint (night).

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/11...n-rockets-trade-features-russell-westbrook/3/

Only way I'd trade Russ to Heat would be in expanded trade:

https://tradenba.com/trade-machine

MIA: Russ Westbrook, Ben McLemore
    BOS: Myles Turner, Andre Iguodala
    IND: Gordon Hayward (opt in), Danuel House
    ORL: Victor Oladipo, Austin Rivers (opt in)
    HOU: Aaron Gordon, Tyler Herro, Mo Bamba, Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn, Kelly Olynyk (opt in)

6'5 Harden/6'2 Nunn (25)
    6'5 Herro (20)/6'3 EGo
    6'7 RoCo (29)/6'5 Nwaba (28)
    6'8 AG (25)/6'7 Robinson (26)
    7'0 Bamba (22)/6'11 Olynyk (29)

MLE: 6'8 Josh Jackson (23) or 6'10 Harry Giles (22)

Now this the right way to rebuild.

Even if the Rockets have to give up an FRP (or two) to trade EGo for a player like Oubre, Smart or Rozier at trade deadline.

Tristan_fiore and tc0330 like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Eric Gordon to the Wolves for a TPE and our draft pick back from the RoCo trade.

Sign and trade Wood 4/44 into the TPE with a SRP. (Save about $5 million annually)

Sign Nerlens Noel with NTMLE

Go big. Get Deep. Draft a PG with the pick.

This would hard cap us, I'm not certain the math allows this team but I think it would.

Russ / Rookie PG
    Harden / McLeMore
    RoCo / Nwaba /Tate
    Wood / House
    Noel / PJ / Bruno

Deuce, Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  15. saleem

Thanks. Houston may need him off the bench. He could be useful on a cheap contract. Nothing to lose here especially, if he is on the vet min. Save the MLE, for a higher quality player.

D-rock likes this.
  16. saleem

I would take this, even with the hard cap. I would replace Bruno with Jonah Bolden, despite Bruno's better 3 point shooting, because he is soft.

Tristan_fiore and fattz like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why not both?

We have a coach who specializes in de eloping young players now.

And both Bruno and Bolden should be available for vet min.

Tristan_fiore and fattz like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I just don’t see the Heat wanting Russ. They have so many great young players, and so much flexibility for one of the most attractive destinations in the league, why would they tie up most of the flexibility and roster on Russ. I also don’t see them parting with Herro and/or Robinson unless it nets them a young superstar or top 10 player. I think they’d even be hesitant on tossing everything in for Giannis if he doesn’t sign the extension and they have the chance to sign him outright next season.

Either way I like your thinking with an expanded trade but Miami are no way having anything to do with that trade.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I hope the rookie PG is Cassius Winston hope we draft him.

I would love this scenario.

treyk3 likes this.