1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who are the Astros biggest rivals Pre AL, Post AL.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jiggyfly, Nov 3, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

After somebody threatened to beat me up because I rooted for the Dodgers and being told by some that they are our biggest rivals, I have been thinking who are our biggest Rivals?

Post AL I have to say the Rangers hands down but a close second recently I think are the Yankees with the A's starting to creep up.

I am a fan since there was only 4 divisions and even then I did not think the Dodgers were rivals and since they split the divisions the Cardinals and Cubs and Red have always stuck out, especially Reds since they moved with us.

What do you think?

Xerobull likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Rangers are the only consistent rival, and even that one feels geographically forced.

Considering the entire league hates us, what passes for a rival is hard to pin down right now.

rocketsjudoka, The Beard and jiggyfly like this.
  3. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Dodgers were our biggest rivals when we were in the NL West. The Cubs, Cardinals, and Braves were our biggest rivals when we were in the NL Central. The Rangers were our biggest rivals when we moved to the AL through 2016. The Red Sox, Yankees, and Athletics were our biggest rivals from 2017 to 2019. Now the entire league is our rival.

Stephen66, Tomstro, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rangers are rivals because Astros fans are most likely to have relatives from that god-forsaken land.

Rays have promise as a rival, though not there yet. We've beat them in the playoffs. They've beaten us in the playoffs. A couple more times in the playoffs and may have a rivalry form.

joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I forgot about the braves but they never seemed to be rivals, maybe because they beat us like a drum.

Stephen66 and Da Man like this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Yeah, then we returned the favor in 2004 and 2005.

msn likes this.
  7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Cardinals and Braves in NL
    Rangers in AL. I feel like we would have a great rival with the Yankees if we played each other more often during the year.

8. raining threes

Cards/Braves in NL

Yankees/Rangers in AL

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm surprised about all of the Braves responses and none with the cubs, the dome used to be rocking when they came to town.

panamamyers and raining threes like this.
  10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Dude you're a closet Dodgers fan. Admit it and move on. Just look how emotionally invested in this you are. I'd be interested to see the post where someone threatened to beat you up

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

You're not truly an Astros fan if you also root for the Dodgers. Especially now more than ever. The only possible exception is if you grew up in LA and moved here and adopted the Astros.

King1 likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you say something?

Stephen66 and TWS1986 like this.
  13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly what I thought. Waste of time

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who the **** are you to tell anybody if they are truly an Astros fan?

I don't actively root for the Dodgers I was rooting for Kershaw to get a ring.

Get it straight.

msn and TWS1986 like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I'm just curious. Why would you root for Kershaw to get a ring? Any particular reason?

htwnbandit and King1 like this.
  17. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

You seem like an old guy. I'll translate for you.

Nobody cares about your sentimental feelings or attachments. You're not allowed to say things that don't agree with the hivemind. Otherwise youre canceled. Welcome to 2020. You also just cursed someone out on a message board. That's gangster

-Kershaw is cy young year in year out in reg season. He's choked his entire postseason career. So I feel you.
    Edit*this season didn't really count. **** LA

#17 RustyHarden, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  18. msn

msn Member

If Kershaw didn't play for the Hollywood Dodgers, I might feel some joy in a guy after his amazing career finally getting a chip. But he's got plenty of ESPN sheep and left coast lackeys to celebrate with him, so screw the Dodgers.

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

NL it was St. Louis
    in the AL it's the Yankees.

I still don't hate the Rangers - they were my AL team until Selig forced the Astros into this division and of course I had to go with my hometown Astros. There was never any Astros hate in DFW..even in the 2017 World Series many Rangers fans were rooting for the Astros as many people rooted for them as their NL team here for years.

I respect the Rays, and I'm quickly building up a deep dislike of the Dodgers just because of jerks like Joe Kelly and their whiny fans.

joshuaao, rockbox, msn and 1 other person like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not really and I usually don't care about other players but I thought that he has become the whipping boy for all of their failures and the respect that came through after people had written him off.

I guess it's more of a crafty veteran using his wills after losing the physical gifts that made him great and coming through at the end.

Plus, he just seems like a good dude.

#20 jiggyfly, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Stephen66 and RustyHarden like this.