1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan vs Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 3, 2020.

?

Who's the better NBA owner

1. Tilman

57 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Dolan

74 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

I've got to give the edge to Tilman on this one, but only because Dolan has been inept for years now.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

HOW IT STARTED

ESPN: On that note, this looks like a team that can be a legitimate contender for several years, but the price will rise significantly next summer if the core is kept together. What’s your tolerance level for paying the luxury tax?

Fertitta: This is what was told to me by my experts that work here: If it’s going to take you to the Finals, then you should pay the luxury tax. And I totally agree. If you have to lose money to get to the Finals or win a championship, I think you do what you have to do because it’s going to come back to you.

Remember, I don’t look at things year to year. I don’t operate any of my businesses year to year. I look at everything long-term, so if it costs me money to win a few championships, I’m fine with that. But you don’t want to be in the luxury tax and not be getting to the Finals, so if you don’t have a team that can get to the Finals, you shouldn’t be paying the luxury tax.

"We know we're going to be in the luxury tax, and if you want to compete for a championship, I feel like unless you get real lucky, you're going to be in the luxury tax," Fertitta told ESPN before the Rockets' summer league game Monday against the Clippers

"We want to be champions. You win a championship, it’s probably worth $30-$50 million dollars the following year to you from sponsorships and people wanting to buy tickets and everything else. So you want to spend the money to win a championship. …

We don’t make basketball decisions of two or three million dollars based on the luxury tax. Our whole budget this year was to be in the luxury tax."

When Cowherd asked where the Rockets’ owner was when he decided to make the move for Westbrook, Fertitta responded:

I was in Europe, and so I was six or seven hours ahead of them. So I’m talking at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. And we just decided to do it. They ran different statistics by me.

My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.

HOW IT'S GOING

[​IMG]

#3 YOLO, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

Don’t tell that to certain Clutchfans
    They already think we’re at the Knicks level where fans are yelling at the owner and he’s kicking out former players

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

so let’s wager who gets more wins next year

the Rockets with Tilman as our owner
    Or the Knicks with Dolan

or better yet
    How many Sell the Team signs for Knicks vs Rockets
    @Reeko

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

once harden is gone, ill be more than glad to accept that wager. Like i've said before hes the only reason this team has any sort of relevance right now.

a more relevant wager would be whether Tilman ducks the tax once again. since hes a good owner he won't right

darksoul35, split41 and Nook like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

When will rich front row season ticket owners for the Rockets go on tv and talk about their owner like this

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

once Hakeem was gone
    It was easy to predict we would suck for a bit

the Knicks haven’t had a winning record since the 2012 season
    @Clutch

Ramo$e likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh they never got to knicks level. Tilman is in charge now. again once harden's gone, it's definitely happening and I'll be more than willing to wager on that

Wulaw Horn and MettaWorldPete like this.
  10. riko

riko Member

It’s like choosing between diarrhoea looking crap or constipation looking like crap. Both stink

darksoul35, Nook, dreamshakin and 3 others like this.
  11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Right now Fertits remains barely better simply because Dolan has a track record of being awful for decades. That being said, Dolan at least he opens up his wallet, he just makes horrible decisions with that money.

We'll see in a few years but it's not good when right now, after only two years of ownership, the comparison is to Dolan. You can only go one tier lower in NBA history, that would be Sterling bad.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Tilman is broke Dolan. Luckily he inherited the best player in the NBA. Sadly he doesn’t know what the **** he’s doing.

13. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Dolan winning this contest only because of longevity but it doesn’t look good for our future either

14. Mr. Space City

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Oh we are very close to being the Knicks. Tilman just hasn't finished losing Harden and Westbrook for scraps yet. We're going to be on the list of teams that no agent will allow to sign on to because of Tillman soon. It is happening. I picked Dolan because the Rockets are my team. The stupid crap that Dolan does in NYC and his team is funny to me because I don't care what happens to the Knicks. The Rockets are my team until I die and the stupidity of Tillman is affecting the only team I have ever cared about.
    @tinman just wait until people in Toyota Center start chanting Fertitta sucks. He'll boot them all out too. Imagine Mad Max cussing Fertitta out! He'll be banned too!

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely fear that's where we'll end up with Tilman at the helm. Sooner, rather than later. But Dolan has a gigantic head-start.

Scarface likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Dolan had D'Antoni too

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Dolan has never been accused of being cheap.
    He's not cheap at all. The problem is they spend their money on bad players and coaches who don't want to coach the bad players.

Tilman has been accused of being cheap as his main problem.

Shows that spending lots of money doesn't equal to winning.

topfive likes this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

Whoever voted for Trump wins this.