1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

2 years in the league and 14 minutes a game each year. I’m not sure of your plan. Bring in a center and when teams
    go small in the playoffs (yes I’m calling Giannis at center in small ball) then bring in H Giles.

Can you expand on your thoughts?

I can show on 82games.com where Giannis shared time at PF and Center in reg season.....percentages, PER, opp PER.

On NBA.com it has a, “Head to Head” option where it shows Giannis as +15.7 (+/-) when Myles Turner is
    on the court and a lesser +9.0 (+/-) when Myles Turner was off the court. (3 games)

Giannis was -7.0 (+/-) when Giles was on the court and -1.0 when Giles was off the court. (1 game)

at the risk of @Reeko sending me a “rolling eyes” meme......Ben Simmons had Giannis @ +2.7 while on the
    court and +5 when Simmons sat.
    https://www.nba.com/stats/vs/#!?PlayerID=203507&VsPlayerID=1627732

https://www.nba.com/stats/vs/#!?PlayerID=203507&VsPlayerID=1628385

#2101 ApacheWarrior, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If Morey really wants to pay us back with a lopsided deal.

Eric Gordon for Josh Richardson and Thybulle. They can have House too.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your stats knowledge is way better than mine. I’m looking at upside. We have no cap room for a experienced but relatively young veteran. Giles is risky, because of his injury history. I like him more than Noel. Noel is talented too. He is fitter and stronger than Harry. Harry appears to be more mentally mature than him. I won’t hesitate to pick Noel anymore, if he is winning to work hard on a consistent basis, and if he is no longer a trouble maker.

Noel is better than Clint Capela skill wise. He has played with Russ. Harden can make him better.

Ramo$e, D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You are too humble. Your postings encourage me to do better.

I like your thinking. Capela is the image I have when a say big Centers. I know I don’t convey my thoughts so well
    in writing. Capela was more than adequate as a big center setting screens and then diving to the rim for lobs.
    But it falls short of the championship. I think we have tried that for 4 years......and now many CF’s want to go back
    to that. Tried Small-Ball for 2 months and it’s I told you so. Not you personally. I just wish D’Antoni had tried
    Small Ball while using predominantly SF’s. But I digress. Guessing many here are thinking Capela with ability to
    shoot 3’s.

I think you can understand the need for a Small Ball center in order to win a championship. Noel, Jeramy Grant,
    Harry Giles, John Collins, Durant, Ben Simmons could be invaluable come playoff time. Adebayo-Jordan Bell
    types have proved it lately the finals can be reached.

I guarantee you Morey is pushing Embiid trades with the vision of running Ben Simmons at Center. They
    make the same $ starting this season.......Morey will chose Simmons over Embiid. Because Embiid doesn’t
    translate to new playoff era wins. In my opinion. Not at his salary.

#2104 ApacheWarrior, Nov 1, 2020
    Ramo$e, D-rock and saleem like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I’m not a stats guy at all, but I try to notice little things on the court. Noel can play well on switch defense, rebound and block shots. He isn’t a 3 point guy, but you can’t leave him alone from 14-18 feet. Harry is starting to hit the open mid- range shot too, and he can get into position as a perimeter defender.

The big problem with Harry is his injury history. Unfortunately, the Rockets have no cap room for an experienced big or anyone else for that matter. I like Harkless as a SF. He is a UFA too, but we need all round 4/5’s more than any other team.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

If you can’t find a way to get Westbrook off this team while getting back some 3 & D players this team has no shot at getting out of the 2nd round. It just doesn’t work with Harden and Westbrook.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, you are very wise.

I read the NBA lost about $103 billion this past season (when you consider refunding some season tickets, lack luxury boxes
    usage, vendors/ concession sales, regular ticket sales, local commercial endorsements, etc.)

Now the NBA is talking about starting right before Christmas to take advantage of the X-mas audience and players
    are balking at that idea. Now an article comes out about losing money if they start in January.. League is getting
    to a beans-n-rice, Rice-n-beans diet soon if they don’t watch out.

My proposed deal with Philly would have shaved off 2 million dollars (team payroll).
    My proposed deal with Knicks would saved the Rockets $9 million off the current payroll.
    Rivers opting out saves $2.4 million.
    Waiving Wayne Ellington (in Knick’s deal) would shave off $8 million as non guaranteed contract.
    Mike Scott is an expiring $5 million contract that’s easy to trade.

That’s 26.4 million in money that’s could reduce the Rockets payroll to $102 million.

Rockets could get VanVleet who scored 17 points a game and shot 37% from 3.
    Langston Galloway is about 10 points at 40% from 3.
    About 27 points from our new point guard tandem.

If people don’t like Langston......how about Jeff Teague instead? VanVleet with Teague platoon.

Not to mention a trade of Eric Gordon $16.9 million / McLemore / House what that nets? Draft picks?

Ben Simmons with space is dangerous.....RJ Barrett will be a talent for years one he improves his 32% three pt %.
    Bobby Portis can play. Best of all we could afford 1st round draft picks again. Best player available at Philly pick
    number 21 would be very good in this deep draft. Number 38 of Knicks could be a good player.

Baseball teams that trade all their picks is not good. Your minor league team needs to develop young talent to ensure
    a future. Rockets need some cheap labor-entry level help on rookie contracts to get through these choppy waters
    of financial instability going forward. This two players making $80 plus million is more doom and gloom than hooray
    to stay.

Link to article on NBA losing money if starting in January.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/0...ses-of-1-billion-if-season-starts-in-january/

fckbandwagons and saleem like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Langston Galloway is very underrated 3-D point.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I’m guessing I didn’t provide enough facilitators.

Need more than just Ben Simmons playing the Westbrook role. Booby Portis and RJ Barrett facilitating.

But that’s where an Eric Gordon/McLemore/House trade helps fill in some spots we lack. While still being competitive.

Hate to lose Harden. He just needs to come to terms with the instability of the NBA finances and an already cheap
    owner.....pre pandemic.

*side note: VanVleet is actually 18 points a game and 39% from 3.

#2109 ApacheWarrior, Nov 1, 2020
  10. rockets13champs

definetly. One thing I think Silas will do that Dantoni never did will be to play all 15 guys during the regular season and give them a role. I really think those young pieces like Michael Frazier, Chris Clemons, and Bruno can really break out. I feel like Frazier is my breakout candidate for this year. He literally just needs a coach who trusts him. Silas will put him in the right situations. One thing I missed that we had with our adelman teams was that one unknown guy coming in and finding a role. It’s the reason Miami is so great every year. They let their Gleague players develop so u have a younger player who can out play the price of their contract

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sorry, but even Silas will not have a 15 man rotation - that is the extreme in the other direction.

Playing more than 10-12 players is already considered a big rotation.

End of bench players are usually development type players or break glass in case of emergency.

Not winning anything, even regular season games, with a 15 man rotation. Imagine how Harden and Russ would react to playing less than 30 minutes because the end of bench guys need at least 10 minutes.

Not happening.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I’m seeing more and more people talk about Nerlens Noel signing in Houston this offseason. I think that’s exactly what happens. Not sure who else they are going to add but I don’t see Christian Wood coming here. So I guess our rotation is either going to be:

Westbrook/??
    Harden/Gordon
    RoCo/House
    Tucker/Jeff Green
    Noel/??

or

Westbrook/Free agent??
    Harden/Gordon
    Gordon/Danuel House
    RoCo/Jeff Green
    Tucker/Noel

D-rock likes this.
  14. rockets13champs

Smh I DIDNT SAY 15 MAN ROTATION. I said PLAY ALL 15 GUYS THRUOUT THE SEASON. Like here and there. Obviously U tighten the rotation. But u play ur guys through out.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

you forgot the young GOAT. BRUNOOOOO.

Add Ariza too

Russ/ Frazier
    Eric/ McLemore
    RoCo/ House/Nwaba
    Harden/ Ariza
    Noel/ PJ/ Bruno

Tristan_fiore and D-rock like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Do you have Austin Rivers leaving. Opting out of $2.4 million?
    Rockets waiving McLemore $2.3 million non guaranteed contract?
    Jeff Green is a free agent......Caboclo, Tyson Chandler, DeMarre Carroll, Thabo, Luc M as well.
    Clemons $1.5 million non guaranteed.
    David Nwaba team option of $1.8 million.
    Started off approx $2 million under the luxury tax.

$2.4 M (Rivers)
    $2.3 M (Ben Mc)
    $1.5 M (Clemons)
    $1.8 [David Nwaba (bye-bye)]
    +$2 M originally
    you are talking about $10 M to sign Nerlens and Jeff Green in your scenario. Just to be clear....put us in that ball park. Of course money to spare if Noel takes like $5M and J Green is less than $2M

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

So name me a player on the roster who did not receive ANY playing time last season.

Other than Nwaba due to injury, every player on the roster received SOME play time.

Do you have a specific number of total minutes or MPG in mind to justify your claim?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not seeing Rockets waive McLemore OR Nwaba.

Maybe not even Clemons.

Unless any of these players were not Stone favorites for some reason.

treyk3 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@saleem

Been thinking of your mention of Harry Giles (free agent). How about trading Eric Gordon/House/Ben McLemore
    for Mitchell Robinson/Taj Gibson

Houston in: Eric Gordon / House / McLemore

x

Knicks in: Mitchell Robinson / Taj Gibson (disposable contract of $9M non guaranteed) / 2RP (#38th 2020 draft)

https://tradenba.com/trades/AViLkP5Nl

Rockets shave $11 Million in the deal.....dropping Clemons gets us to approx $14.5M under the Luxury Tax.

Sign Harry Giles and more in free agency.

Roster:
    PG) Westbrook..............Langston Galloway
    SG) Harden....................Gerald Green
    SF) Tucker......................Nwaba
    PF) Covington................Harry Giles
    C) Mitchell Robinson......Jeff Green

waive Taj Gibson ($9M)

How is that for a compromise and one last year of running it back window closing attempt?

of course pending Knicks being willing to trade Mitchell Robinson

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not that they need to to sign Noel / Jeff Green. Just didn’t see them on his listed roster and I felt Jeff Green was assumed to be under contract. Not the case.

D-rock likes this.