1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas as a swing state?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Oct 5, 2020.

1. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I read somewhere that Beto won among born and bred Texans. So much for the California blue wave lol

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Beto won?

3. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

If you count just the votes of people born in Texas then yes. One of those odd stats I came across two years ago.

tinman, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What office does he currently hold?

5. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Texas being blue in the not too distant past was being discussed you dummy. I don't know what you think I'm trying to say. I know he wasn't elected senator but I found that kernel pertinent to the conversation.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Props to Lina Hidalgo and the county clerk for setting up the infrastructure to get voters out there. Impressive job.

Btw, I'm getting so sick of these Trumpette heads. Watching these Trump rallies with the majority of the people not wearing masks in the middle of a global pandemic tells me everything I need to know about cheattle head. Wish a secession was possible. Lol

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Doesn't mean it's blue or red, but still... wow. 53% of 17m registered voters have voted. Dare to say we'll reach 70% (12m)?

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We had a Democrat Texan governor as recently as 1987. It's been pretty Republican since then.

Those we send to the U.S. Senate....well, if a weaselly scumbag like Ted Cruz can win just by having his name on the ballot, barely beating out (but beating nevertheless Beto O'Rourke)....

John Cornyn is the favored Republican incumbent running for reelection and he has an approval rating of 39%. OVERALL. (22% gave no opinion, to be fair, which probably means they either don't know much about him OR are going to vote Republican even though they know he ain't all that.)

I think these represented your Yellow Dog Democrat faction. There were traces, vestiges, and they faded or died off in the 1980's.

Yellow Dog Democrats was a political term applied to voters in the Southern United States who voted solely for candidates who represented the Democratic Party. The term is now more generally applied to refer to any Democrat who will vote a straight party ticket under any circumstances. - WIKI

I do know a LOT of Republicans here in Texas voting for Biden. My aunt and uncle. My stepdad has NEVER VOTED in his 73 years of life (that still stuns me) and he and my mom just stepped up to the plate to vote for Biden. In Kingwood we visited them and my wife took a walk through the neighborhood and counted far more Biden-Harris signs than Trump. IN F*****G KINGWOOD.

For the record, I don't expect Biden to win Texas. Too many rednecks (sorry, although y'all do make great barbecue; and I drive a pickup, too, and, YES, George Strait music is awesome [see, we agree on some stuff!]) to overcome. But it's far more likely than Trump winning California or New York, amiright? Amiright?

#128 ROXTXIA, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I said it before, there is a 3 to 1 better chance of Biden winning TX than Trump winning re-election. Perspective :)

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Harris with 24 hrs voting and a live concert. Thump up. 1.34M vote casted.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Reading comprehension is important.

12. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Pretty much describes me as well. First voted in 2016 when Trump won out the primary and no one stepped up to run as a 3rd party candidate.
    I guess they lost control of their own party back in the Tea Party days and have just been getting more radical.

FranchiseBlade, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Funny I've seen dueling analyses of whether the high turnout is good for Biden or Trump. One looked at geography of voting and said it helped Trump, the other looked at primary participation and said it helped Biden. I guess we'll see Nov 3.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Higher turnout tends to favor Democrats historically, hence all the GOP voter suppression efforts. If this country was a pure Democracy we’d never have a Republican President.

Surprised the TX GOP isn’t suing over these 24 hour polling sites. Already b****ing about mail in and drive through figured that was next.

No Worries, Hakeemtheking and Surfguy like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Good job Houston! wow Amazing

16. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

High turnout tends to go one direction, especially with historic turnout like this across the country. Personally, I think it’s a massive blow out rather than a horse race. Let’s find out on Tuesday.

17. Buck Turgidson

That's interesting. There's a ton of immigration from Cali/NY/Etc...but it's not all young people.

Retirees are flocking to the Hill Country, and they come with all political persuasions, but mostly they are rich suburbanites from Houston/Dallas/San Antone/Austin. Everything was blue up here until '94 or so, then AM radio began...which begat email...which begat facebook...which begat all of the dumbass social media misinformation.

It's really weird up here. I'm curious how the voting will break down in some of these counties.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe both sides have increased turn out. It could be a push.

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The part where they rammed one of the staffer vehicles was also very funny. Lunatics.

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and Amiga like this.