1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Eyes of Texas Problem

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by don grahamleone, Oct 23, 2020.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

That’s unreal man. Devil in the white city is one of my all time favorite books. The way Erik Larson intertwined all the architectural stuff with the history of the fair, and the murders...so well done.

2. Buck Turgidson

Hah. Just finished it a couple of days ago, hence my dropping of factoids.

He and Hampton Sides (I'll read anything that guy writes) are my favorites in that genre.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Haha well that’s how it is. Keep dropping them until you forget them. I’m not familiar with Hampton sides. If you are in to the true crime thing, check out Helter Skelter. It’s the story of the Manson murders told by the DA who put him away. It’s so detail oriented it reminds me a bit of the way Larson writes. I couldn’t put it down.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

T for 3 likes this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

6. Buck Turgidson

It's a ****ing awesome book, that would be my #1 of his. Ghost Soldiers would be second. Honestly all of his books and articles are solid. You can find the Outside and NatGeo stuff on the internet, if you're so inclined.

I just like his writing style, he could make almost anything interesting to me.

7. raining threes

You haven't been paying attention then.

8. raining threes

It wouldn't come to this. But any player of any race that wouldn't stand I would cut. This is about tradition not race. IMHO

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And if the team were stupid enough to do what you propose, they'd end up playing football in the traditional style of the 1950s.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No person in their right mind would even remotely consider this.

King1 and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You're welcome

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

I haven’t read that book, but it sounds like something is off. Written in 1892, “under God” was added in 1954 during our red scare days. Our history is not nearly as religious as modern christian fundamentalism would have us believe.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. raining threes

I know they wouldn't.

But this group of players aren't going to win anything anyways. So there wont be a better time to make a clear statement.

14. raining threes

Doubtful.

They would just have to start paying the players more than they're currently paying them.

I care more about the University of Texas than the University of Texas football team. Apparently you dont feel this way.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Is the university going to burn down if the eyes aren't played at the end of games? What's going to happen? Why do you care so little about the feelings of the kids putting their blood sweat and tears into this team?

Can I assume white male 40s-50s? 30s?

16. raining threes

Feelings, SMDH, Snowflakes.

You dont always get everything you want in life is what needs to be taught. This isn't happening at UT right now and this is part of the problem with the UT football program right now and until this changes you can expect more of the same old same old. I would've respected Herman alot more if when Sterns showed up in his office Herman would've told him either stand for the Eyes of Texas or pack your **** and get the F out of my office.

The fact that you dont respect tradition speaks volumes.

17. Brando2101

You think the problem with black Americans in this country is they expect to get what they want? And no, I don't respect anything born out of a ****ing minstrel show. Jesus ****ing christ. How is this even an issue?

18. Buck Turgidson

Oh, does it now?

raining threes likes this.
  19. raining threes

It isn't an issue now.

Nor should it ever be one.

20. Brando2101