1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's judge Tillman from this point on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is exactly the same statement some Texans fans said after Bob made another horrible trade with our future draft picks.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

I actually agree with this sentiment

let’s give Tillman a chance to show what he can do.

we all recall when morey took a lot of heat for treating players like assets... morey wasn’t perfect

maybe Tillman and Silas and this new GM can surprise us

3. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

No thanks. I started judging Cheapman since he became the Rockets owner.
    So far not that good and it’s only been a few years.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is stupid. he took a lot of heat for not keeping players that weren't going to win you a championship. wow what a revelation. I should keep players just because we're losing and don't want people to think im shuffling players to win. I mean I should do that rather than aim to get better. got it

lets give tilman a chance 2 years after the damage is done is one of the most idiotic logics this board has ever seen. next thread is going to be lets judge him now that harden is gone.

#44 YOLO, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

'Lets judge Nero, from here on out, after the city has burned completely to the ground.'

D-rock likes this.
  6. txppratt

morey had more trades than any other GM during his tenure with Houston - he tried to make up for quality with quantity. He did well but missed on a few things... like A few draft picks, like a few trades

we know there are players who wouldn’t sign here because they didn’t trust morey.

let’s see what Silas and this new crew can accomplish. That’s all I’m saying. I love morey - sad he is gone.

I’m trying to see the positives. Mainly that a new regime might be good for the rockets.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

It wont be. Tillman ran off one of the best GMs in the league. Any regime change that comes is likely going to be worse, and given how much awful news there is about Tillman as a whole, I dont expect much for the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

that means he's actively trying to improve and get closer to an actual title team. hes supposed to sit there for years and years and do nothing apparently. i bet if he sat there for years people would be complaining wtf is he doing. why are we content with the same team every year that has 0 shot at winning

D-rock likes this.
  9. txppratt

I never said he’s supposed to do nothing. I never said morey did a poor job - he didn’t - he did pretty damn good.

I’m just saying... maybe a change is good for the franchise.

Im no Tillman lover. I am open to what the future holds. Silas is a good hire. Westbrook IS younger than cp3. Maybe the window is better than you think. Having Westbrook healthy for the entire season would be a HUGE plus.

sad we don’t have a morey at the helm - but we might do pretty damn good without him. Why is that so hard to believe?

treyk3 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

the change angle is nothing but a panic plea because it was forced anyway. Both mda/morey left Tilman's dumbass so there's no other choice. But make no mistake it's still a dumpster here. It doesn't matter if westbrick is younger than cp3. he's the worse player whose been declining for years and a terrible fit.

The window closed once westbrick was obtained and it drifted a month ago when they got demolished. There is no window. It's just milking the clock until Harden is gone at this point within the next 3 years. he probably won't make it to year 3

HP3 likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You could talk for hours with him and he would just repeat the same thing over and over. He doesn't even read what anyone says. I can't believe I wasted about 10 posts responding with him.

I agree with most of what you said.

Our coach is exciting.

We have a top 5 player in the NBA.

We have a pretty solid sidekick.

For at least next year, the team should be better than they were last year. The future post Harden looks grim but at the very worst, the team loses in the second round next season just like they have the previous two. Morey didn't leave a ton of wiggle room for now. There are a few avenues to improve but it's a good start for Stone because it's pretty clear what the team's weaknesses are. He just needs to find the right people. Getting Harden extended for three more seasons after the contract is supposed to end would be a good start to his tenure.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh shut up with all that garbage. just because you have 100% homer goggles on all the time doesn't mean anyone else has to. you can ride all that fake rockets gimmicks all you want. don't get all upset when others don't and see right through the bullshit. the everything is going to be just fine or better circle is terrible especially when it's pure fake. the rockets have literally gone from a 65 win top 5 defense/offense contender to far from it in a span of 2 years and dudes in here acting like the rockets will be better. And lets not judge til now. stop it

It's the same bs just another year in the wrong direction once again. 2 years ago with the summer of melo, mcw, ennis. Trash from the beginning. What do you know, it ended up a disaster. A year ago, the summer of westbrick. Trash from the beginning. What do you know, it ended up a disaster. Both foreseen by many including myself. Both years the board tried to tell themselves, it's gonna be best team yet hoopla. Year 3 of Tilman, Both morey/mda gone. same core roster and likely losing a piece or two of depth. I wonder how it's going to end up. we have Silas hoooorayyyyy! what a sad place this organization is currently in.

#52 YOLO, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it's impossible for me not to judge Tillman at least for shedding 1st round picks to get under the tax. I don't think a good owner does that. And that is fair game. So setting aside Morey or MDA or Russ, he is starting off in a hole for me just on the fact that during a championship run, he was willing to hurt the team to save money.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

For sure, I agree with this 100%. He's not starting fresh but there are things he could do to get out of the proverbial "hole" and earn some goodwill. Will he do these? Probably not. I'm not a sucker, I just will not give up faith until Harden is gone. Tilman has been an objectively bad owner thus far and the future looks grim.

D-rock likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yes I too will wait to judge Bill O’Brien until after Miami makes their draft selections. Who knows how good those guys will be. Plus Hopkins only has another 4 to 5 years of elite receiving left. People are too critical.

HP3, B-Bob, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean, I don't care.. I'm down to do whatever. I have nothing else to do.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I lol'd

HP3, BigM and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Will he use MLE this season, that would be a start.

He says he will use MLE every season and every season he cuts salary instead.

It is what is until he proves otherwise.

If I were you, I would not hold my breath.

treyk3 likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Rockets have had their up and downs in the almost 40 years I have been following them, but their has always been one constant. I always felt like the organization itself was solid. Doesn't mean I agreed with everything mind you, but I had no fear that mistakes couldn't be overcome. In this latest incarnation of Rockets leadership, the guys who made it work are jumping overboard. The once sturdy framework that kept things hopeful has become a glass house. And its only remaining assets (its players) are fixed to walk when its possible or demand a trade in the near future (my speculation).

The wheels are falling off and we get to watch it. Feels a bit like the 2009-10 Astros.

Richie_Rich, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd say he fracked the slate, then pumped all the resources out of it

HP3 and D-rock like this.