1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Silas next Rockets head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 28, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Member

Has this thread discussed the fact our defense now has the Mavericks playbook. Would be cool to release a gimmick defense on Doncic that works, and starts getting copied throughout the NBA.

then again, Budenholzer was swept by Pops his first 3 years, including Hawks 60-win season.

D-rock, saleem and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I am curious to see what Silas can do.... spacing is extremely important for Carlisle and Silas..... yet Silas doesn't have the same quality of shooters here in Houston and has to deal with Westbrook... the Rockets cannot really run that same offense.

joshuaao, D-rock and saleem like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Member

What do you think the effect is of our defense on the Mavs, now that we have their playbook. I like the idea of the whole NBA going to school on how we defend Doncic, causing the Mavs to get dumped out of the playoffs, again.

GSW will pass them, most likely, for starters.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I think that it does hurt the Mavericks, however Carlisle is really good without Silas and I expect he will adjust. As long as the Mavericks hit shots, it isn't going to matter....... which was a big part of the problem with the Rockets. We don't have great shooters, as we choose to focus more on defense and the Mavericks have focused more on shooters.

D-rock likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly. people keep pointing out Silas and the offense in Dallas. yeah I get that but Huge difference as I stated previously, this roster isn't dallas where they have versatility. There's significant holes and deficiencies here that limit what someone can do here and yet the rockets still already had a top offense for several years.

I'm still waiting on someone to explain what significantly is going to be the difference to be much better than that. Fluff fluff pieces and hope doesn't mean much because it's mostly towards the bottom state the rockets are currently in

6. heypartner

heypartner Member

It isn't about Carlisle.
    A 21 year old has to run that offense.
    Silas knows all his tendencies.
    Silas could get into his head, while rest of NBA is taking notes.

I guess no one actually wants to discuss Silas' affect on Doncic, here. Maybe I'll start a separate thread.

D-rock, saleem and Nook like this.
  7. PWR

PWR Member

Dallas had 10 guys on the roster that shot over 35% from three. (Burke, KP, Lee, Hardaway, Wright, Kleber, Curry, Finney, Barea, Brunson). They surrounded their non-shooting point guard (Luka) with a roster of nothing but shooters. SMART.

That is why they had the most efficient offense of all time. It's easy to run an efficient offense when 10 out of your top 11 players all shoot over 35% from three.

So, does Silas get the credit for the offense or does the GM get credit for using common sense to surround Luka with snipers? They built the roster that Morey/Dantoni was supposed to build for his chucking offense. We only had 6 on our team to shoot over 35%. Two of our top 3 players worth almost $60 mil can't shoot. (Westbrook(26%) and EG(32%))

Will this new coaching staff teach our $60 mil stars to shoot?
    Will the new GM find some cheap shooters in free agency to bring in like Trey Burke, E'Twaun Moore, Kyle Korver, Mike Muscala? Gerald Green will also help.
    Can we get a big that can shoot?

D-rock and ashleyem like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

and alot of those guys are versatile enough they can put it on the floor, able to shoot off the catch or dribble, pass. move well without the ball.

9. caneks

caneks Rookie

Rookie GM and rookie head coach, how could it be more exciting this season. :D

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  10. PWR

PWR Member

Bingo!

saleem likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I will gladly respond in another thread.

If you are asking if Silas can frustrate or confuse Doncic......... I think the answer to that is probably so...... but I still think the Mavericks ability to shoot the ball mitigates a lot of that. In a series, it can certainly make a difference...... Silas can like force his turnover rate to increase for example, and for as gifted as Doncic is, he does have some limitations when it comes to foot speed.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It all is a trade off....... the Mavericks surrounded Doncic with gifted shooters...... that cannot defend a lick...... it is very hard to find guys that are great shooters and defenders...... the Mavericks went the direction of emphasizing shooting and the Rockets tried to balance it more.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I think that we will see some difference. We will likely see more movement, and Silas is more likely to have Harden move more off the ball...... but your point is valid, spacing is harder when you have guys on the floor that cannot shoot well. We could see Silas do something like increase the minutes of McLemore to try and help spacing, or see the Rockets pursue another rotation guy that can shoot....... but those type of players don't defend well usually.

One thing I do think we will see is Westbrook's minutes cut 4-5 a game from what MDA would do....... we may also see some one given more minutes inside at the 4 that isn't on the roster currently.

D-rock likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Member

I hope you’re right HP.

15. PWR

PWR Member

Regular season
    Opponents PPG...
    Dallas gave up 113.1
    Rockets gave up 113.7
    I can argue that Dallas had the better defense.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have the right formula, the problem is the big man spot. If we can get a big man that can rebound the ball and shoot the 3 ball, that would make a huge difference.

I mean, the Rockets were elite defensively in the bubble. Their offense wasn't as great, but we know that it can be great since we have Harden. Regardless of how down everyone is on this team, we do have some flexibility to move some pieces around and be competitive again. PJ Tucker, as much as I love him, is on an expiring deal and probably should be moved. Father time is a dangerous game to play with and it's better that we get someone for him while he actually has really good value rather than him coming into this season not as good anymore.

EG, I know his contract his terrible, but there are some potential deals out there as well.

I don't know, I guess I know we have Harden and I know we still have a chance. IMO, we were still contenders last season. Harden played extremely well these last playoffs. If Silas can find a way to get Westbrook involved, man we can still make a little bit of noise.

D-rock, So Saith Red and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets still have the upside of being contenders. They have one of the 2-3 best players in the world and some other valuable pieces as well.

We agree that the issue for the Rockets is inside...... the problem is getting a guy that can guard the 4/5, has some degree of size AND also can shoot is going to be very hard. The obvious choice is Christian Wood but I believe that is a pipe dream.

joshuaao, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Well we can all get stoned for the next month until free agency and hopefully when the high wears off we will all have Wood.

joshuaao, D-rock and Nook like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You want to run those playoff numbers, when it really counted?

D-rock likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Member

it would be glorious to see Silas cause a widespread gimmick defense of Doncic that causes them to get bumped from playoffs

D-rock likes this.