1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Departure Now Makes Sense (Chronicle)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sirjesse, Oct 29, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Well then luckily it’s a good thing there’s only 1 team on that list the rockets would have had to worry about this year but they punted that wide open opportunity. Then once this season was over the rockets could then revisit and go from there

Nook likes this.
  2. SORF

SORF Member

This sounds familiar? Oh yeah, it sounds like a Kevin Durant move....:rolleyes:

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Man hiring Silias really meant the world to some of you guys.

4. SORF

SORF Member

I never declared whom I wanted as coach until now...I wanted JVG. So, I wish Silias the best...I hope he is good. Go Rockets.

raining threes likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Fair enough, but comparing Morey to Kevin Durant is silly.

napalm06 likes this.
  6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

reposting in this thread as it's more pertinent here

This is going to be fascinating. These two troubled franchises are star struck and stuck. If we manage to ship either of our falling stars for either of theirs, we win. If we send them gordon's contract for the corpse of al horford - we winnish..... well.. we do lose. If we involve a third team and actually manage to get some cap space and a pick or two instead of another long term bloated contract, we win the worlds fastest reboot and the team becomes inherently more interesting to watch.

Not really sure how any of our players help them, but Morey is fascinated with Harden. Please Morey, maintain your fascination.

7. SORF

SORF Member

I'm not comparing Morey to Kevin Durant. I'm comparing the situations. Morey is stymied by not being in control of a situation for improvement, so he quits...to Kevin Durant that OKC can't improve their lineup, so he abandons OKC to go somewhere where he can win.

I have been a Morey fan for years, but I'm very disappointed in him right now. Just when KD left OKC, I feel the same about Morey...both wimped out! Very disappointed.

sirjesse and HP3 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

I get you man but OKC was not an incompetent organization. Tillman is an incompetent owner. Very different situations.

#148 HP3, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not even close to compatible. Morey’s job is do what he does and not be handcuffed. Kd’s job is no where near the same. Your primary job is to play basketball and let people like
    Morey do their jobs. Not be overruled by someone who knows next to nothing about the ins and outs of basketball. Morey is a genius for getting out of a horrid situation. Kudos. All you people who are trying to look down on morey are basically slave suckers. Y’all probably got min wage jobs so you’re used to yes sir and yes mam on a daily basis. Every single day you’re b****ing about your boss/supervisor but you can’t do anything about it. Durant got scared of GS so he decided to join them but I mean nobody wants to play with westbrick anyway. People have been leaving him for years and will continue to do so

#149 YOLO, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    rhee likes this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I would say top talent does not want to work for a terrible employer, because top talent has the luxury of choosing where they go. The second you have poor leadership top talent leaves, you will have mediocre employees hired in their place, and you will also have a high turnover with mediocre employees. If any up and coming talent excels with the poor leadership, they will simply use the position they have to showcase their talents and then also eventually leave for more pay or a higher position. The one way companies can retain top talent with poor leadership is by paying well above market (this usually is still a short term solution), Tilman does not have the money to do this, so prepare for a dumpster fire until he is forced to sell.

rhee, ParaSolid and D-rock like this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m not saying the Rockets weren’t trying to dangle Capela as bait to acquire a third star because we know that was the case. However, like @YOLO is saying, the Rockets would have had many more draft picks to move for a 3&D wing like Covington if they hadn’t pulled the trigger on the Westbrook trade. Remember, if Thibodeau had not gotten cold feet, Butler would have been a Rocket at the expense of those four first-round picks.

Not to mention, Morey wouldn’t have given up Capela and a future first-round pick for Covington if Chris Paul was on the team because the team wouldn’t have had major spacing issues that were bogging down the offense when Westbrook and Capela shared the floor. Morey would have waited until a more advantageous deal presented itself.

That said, Robert Covington is a better player for today’s NBA than Capela, so I have no problem swapping those two.

#151 DVauthrin, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That only tells you how much we got to look forward to in the future.... not much.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still do not know the full scope behind the Tilman and Morey dynamic, there might be more scintillating stuff to come.

We haven't heard the last of it, it seemed like it.

He gave it his all, so I do not want to judge his character. Tilman is the baddie here.

Comparing him to Durant? It is much easier for players to bolt....
    Morey should have done the Rockets a solid by having him traded for assets.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If someone forced me to trade CP3 for WB and give up all those assets, I'd quit too

D-rock, YOLO, napalm06 and 1 other person like this.
  15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Sir Douchebag says what?

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And just like that, the circle is closed. Durant ignored Houston because MDA. Now he gets him in Brooklyn.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Makes zero sense, as it also ignores that Morey was being pushed in directions he didn't want to go.

D-rock, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The window fully closed at that moment.

YOLO likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Philly is in the state that Rox are in, they wholly disappointed in the playoffs and traded their picks and assets first for Jimmy Butler (who walked away in FA), and then Tobias Harris. They are also capped out cuz they are paying Simmons, Horford, Harris and Embiid the max. A coward wouldnt pick Philly, he'd go for a sure team like GSW, Miami or of course the Lakers. Even a team like NYC is preferable cuz then nobody expects you to win a chip.

The expectations for Philly are no less than the Roxz perhaps even more so because unlike Tillman FerCHEAPta the Sixers ownerhsip spent well above the luxury tax for a stinky pile of doodoo. The difference is Sixers ownership knew what they and lost it (Hinkie), whereas Tillman is about to find out how hard it is to find a good GM.

I'm ****ing tired of you jokers who dont even do the basic research before you go on rants. Do you know exactly what the Rox gave up? It's two first round picks, the other two are protected and wont be conveyed if the Rox suck. That's hardly a crazy mess and I'm sure if Morey and Tillman were on the same page (ie not positioning his son to be the new GM) Morey wouldnt have left.

D-rock likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

We dont know if Tillman did stick by Morey. He did publicly but we dont know what happens behind closed doors. Tillman also publicly said he is gonna go all out for a ring but then did so many cost cutting moves behind the scenes.

I've worked in corporate all my life, what is saidin private is different from what is said in public.

Morey seemed like a pretty loyal guy under Les, he kept signing extension after extension even after multiple teams liks Dallas and Philly went after him to the point he stayed here for more than a decade. I doubt he would bail in the middle of a 5 year extension and then immediately sign with another team for no reason.

D-rock likes this.