1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas as a swing state?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Oct 5, 2020.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Unfortunately they can't. Texas has a nonsensical process where if a redistricting bill isn't passed (which is likely if there is a split house and Senate), the redistricting process (for state districts) goes to a "redistricting commission" that is made up of four statewide officials and the speaker of the house. All four of those statewide officials are Republicans so they'd basically draw the new state maps.

The redistricting commission process doesn't affect federal maps so if the house and senate can't pass a redistricting bill for US Congressional districts, it would go to a nonpartisan court redistricting process.

But the State Senate won't change for another decade. Democrats have to win statewide elections to have a chance to truly undo Senate gerrymandering.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this has to do with gentrification and pushing out inner city folks out to the suburbs?

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Those voting surpassing EFFORTS by Abbott are working out GREAT! Make sure he tries them again 2022...when we can vote his b**** ass out.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, but, how many votes for Scump and how many for Biden?

I've usually resigned myself to getting only jury duty out of voting for President in Texas. I don't know if this will play the same. Too many Texans have Republican voting in their DNA. For them, voting Democrat would be akin to being those workers who arrived on scene at Chernobyl and wound up having blue eyes turn brown and skin melt and whatnot.

But we'll see what Tuesday brings.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

all Abbott succeeding in doing is making people realize just how important this election is and bring extra attention to making sure u go out and vote

Hakeemtheking, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, we’ll see

I’m very hopeful and optimistic

In Texas, as of Friday, 753,600 voters younger than 30 cast a ballot in the 2020 election. During the same time period in 2016, only 106,000 Texans younger than 30 had voted, according to the analysis, representing a 610% increase.

younger people tend to skew overwhelmingly to the left, and I have to assume that that’s the case even in TX

evidence points to this increased turnout being driven by minorities, younger voters, etc, and the elderly are shifting towards Biden due to Trump’s bungling of the coronavirus

fingers crossed lol

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone should vote but I can’t see Biden edging Trump in Texas. It’ll be 18 Cruz Beto margins again.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cruz was only able to beat O’Rourke by trouncing him two-to-one in rural Texas, where just a quarter of the state’s voters live; meanwhile, Democrats captured six Republican-held state House seats in the outskirts of Dallas alone (and six others statewide), while giving Republicans heartburn in some of the suburban U.S. House districts where the party was routinely winning, not long ago, by 20-plus points.

Suddenly, Texas Republicans are on the defensive in their national fortress—and they’re both talking and acting like it. “The tectonic plates shifted in Texas in 2018,” Senator John Cornyn, the powerful Republican who’s facing reelection in 2020 (with just a 37 percent approval rating) said earlier this year. Cornyn has been sounding the alarms ever since November, warning national Republicans against complacency and spelling out the dire consequences for his party if they can’t stave off the Democratic surge: “If Texas turns back to a Democratic state, which it used to be, then we’ll never elect another Republican [president] in my lifetime,” said Cornyn.

A confluence of events over the past couple of weeks has reinforced Cornyn’s message. In what giddy Democrats are calling “the Texodus,” four Republican members of Congress announced, in short order, that they won’t be running for reelection in 2020; three of their seats, all in the suburbs, will likely go Democratic, adding to the two they took from Republicans in 2018. “We could see other representatives step away too,” said Manny Garcia, executive director of the Texas Democratic Party. “Why would you go into a knockdown, drag-out fight when you’re either going to lose next time, or soon afterward?”

this was before all the fckery of 2020 occurred

Could this TX bluenami come to pass? I can’t wait to find out. If not now, u have to think that it will occur some time in the near future.

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

It'll be interesting. I've had a few friends and family who said they've finally registered to vote for the first time. Some republican, so who knows. I was more surprised that people who were 30 have never registered and voted.

B-Bob, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, BETO....
    WHAT HATH
    THOU WROUGHT?
    Ushering in the godless heathen Democrats...the brown people, the white people who read....whither the toxic white masculinity?

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How is Cornyn still very likely to win if he only has 37% approval rating? Are there people voting for Biden but then also voting for Cornyn? how does that make sense?

B-Bob likes this.
  13. dookiester

dookiester Member

been registered but never voted for president until now. didnt care until this disaster of an administration. didnt realize how progressive i am until i saw how regressive the republicans have been. 2020 has brought the republican party out into the light and it isn't pretty. they burnt their bridge to mainstream america while they were busy catering to trump's base, and it isn't going to be easy to find their way back.

#113 dookiester, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Cornyn can't do nearly the damage that Trump is doing, so I am guessing individuals are okay with the status quo (if they are republican) since they vote one way only (rather than for the best candidate).

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

???
    Which of the two is true?
    If Texas used to be democratic state how come too many Texans have Republican voting in their DNA?
    All the old texans democrats moved away or died?
    Or last time Texas was blue was 100 years ago or something?

ROXTXIA and RayRay10 like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

TX was always conservative, and the Democrats lost it as they began to push for progressive things like the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act in the 1960s as the Republicans embarked on their Southern Strategy of appealing to white racial grievances against the “other”

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

no, not that long ago. It turned pretty red w Reagan but was fairly blue prior. Lloyd Benson, Ann Richards, some salty kick-ass Democrats, TX style.

RayRay10, malakas and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

I am here in Australia rooting for Texas to go BLUEEEE.

Come on, Texas.

19. Major

Major Member

Cornyn is a typical down-the-line Republican. The only way Biden wins Texas is with Republican crossover voters who hate Trump - but they still likely vote for Cornyn. They may not love him, but they still vote GOP.

ROXTXIA and rocketsjudoka like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are some Republicans in tight races who have said that they represent a check if Biden wins. I think this is a line that Cory Gardener has used.

RayRay10 likes this.