1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Packers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2020.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Why would anyone take any of those players, with the exception of Watt and maybe Fuller (and his contract goes away regardless after the year)?

2. raining threes

They wont except for maybe Duke in addition to Watt, WFV.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I would contend that IF you are going to trade players then fair compensation IS what is best for the team. Drafting slightly higher/lower in the 3rd round really isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Getting **** compensation in return makes no sense, especially for JJ.

If you think Merciless is done and you find a way to dump him without trading away picks like you did with Brock, fine. That's something I can live with because you clear some cap space.

But Fuller, Watt, Cunningham, Roby, Reid (all of these players have been mentioned)... They have value. If you don't get fair compensation you are absolutely hurting the team both short term and long term. The purpose of trading for those picks is that you HOPE to find a player like Roby or Reid, etc. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 picks to get it right. I'll take the bird in the hand unless someone is going to appropriately compensate you for it.

Trading players just to trade them and start fresh just helps other teams get better.

I understand where the "trade mindset" is coming from, but I think other teams will absolutely try to get over on us based on recent history with B.O.B. And BOB's right hand man that "helped" the Texans create this mess is the one that would be executing trades. I don't foresee many fair offers.

4. Major

Major Member

Just to clarify, I'm talking about players that we know will not be contributing to the team 2-3 years from now. Those players have no value to the team long-term and if you can get anything from them, you're better off. JJ Watt is the primary example there. Your choices are to play him for another year and then get nothing, or get whatever you can now. The one exception is if you think a player like that may have more trade value in the offseason or next year, then you keep him just so you can trade him later.

5. STR8Thugg

This mindset assumes they will be garbage for the next 2-3 years, but I am not assuming that. They'll have an easier schedule next year bc of record, a new coach, and a new GM.

Time will tell.

6. STR8Thugg

The pass blocking is ranked 3rd in the NFL via Pro Football Focus, for what it's worth.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

thats hard to believe. this unit has given up the 6th most sacks (I know I know Deshaun has a hand in that) but when you take out the QB errors in sacks the adjusted sack rate is still 6th worst. I'd be curious to look at the metrics they use. I've always used Football Outsiders for the OL grading, but Id love to see more data. check it:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2020

8. STR8Thugg

PFF has some bizarre grading at times. I don't have access to the site to be fair, I am regurgitating information I heard from Payne and Pendergast. It is a bit hard to believe, but I think they have been about average.

Either way I don't think the line is a dumpster fire like you do. They are playing below their talent level, but the play calling and David Johnson is more to blame for the running game. Hell even Duke Johnson ignored a wide open hole on 3rd and 1 on the first drive against the Packers and opted to bounce it outside where the blocking wasn't designed. It seriously reminds me of playing the computer on Madden at times.

It would probably help if the opponent defense wasn't locked in on a fake "read-option" HB dive up the middle on 70% of first downs. There is more rhythm and feel to a running game than simply: "Hey big fat guy, go block other big fat guy."

#468 STR8Thugg, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

you know our sports and state of affairs outside of it is lending itself to alot of emotion and vitriol - and sadly Im prone to it also. I guess when I look at the Texans offensive line you have Tunsil and Howard and thats it - after all of the attempts at getting it right they still havent been able to figure it out. In creeps my disdain. Bad roster move after bad roster move - bad draft after bad draft and its still not a good unit. Average? Thats being nice. Pay close attention to the interior of the line and Howard on pass blocking. I dont even watch Tunsil anymore he's not jumping off sides so his game is good for me (just dont bring up the contract and assets moved to get him!)

Its just a bad run philosophy. Square hole - round peg. It never really "worked" it was just a war of attrition and the hard headedness to keep grinding away. If you run the ball close to 300 times no matter what i'd venture to say almost any NFL caliber back could get to a 1000 yard season with the OBrien offense. Its the battering ram approach.

10. STR8Thugg

[​IMG]

Can someone with photoshop skills please edit this to say Bill O'Brien as the author.

Thanks.

Verbal Christ likes this.