1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is a terrible hire

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 28, 2020.

?

Do you like the hire of Stephen Silas?

1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

everything he posts is low quality garbage...he should be a man and do what he said he was gonna do which is leave and join a Mavs board since he was really a Mavs fan anyways

spineless fake fans shouldn’t be talking to real fans because what they have to say doesn’t matter

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I like being unreal fan, it doesnt hurt at the end of the day from being let down year after year. Mavericks are also fun team to watch, it doesnt hurt to like 2 teams either. I was going to root for Mavericks after Dirk left cause i hated what he did to the rockets after the 04-05 tmac first round, that was back when you baby boy reeko, you probably dont remember.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no idea where this team is headed. New players? New style of play? I have no idea.

I do know that we have a huge payroll and a lot of players over the age of 30. So, it seems like a long shot that we would be a true contender this next season. If we can’t really contend, then maybe rebuild is best option. I’m guessing Tilman will give Silas a chance with the current group before blowing things up. But, who knows?

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

@tinman

this clown is such a loser, and also a weak coward

foh then...u don’t contribute anything worthwhile here other than low quality, often unintelligible posts anyways

the opinion of a trash fake fan like u on anything Rockets related means nothing

go on to the Mavs board...the real fans don’t need u injecting low quality garbage into any discussion

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Poll needs a third option: "MEH"

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

make me dumb idiot.

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Ive read alot of your post, and i feel the same way about your garbage. So you go to the Nuggets forum, cause you seem like thats a team you fit with.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t mention me again fake fan loser...go dick ride like u said u were going to

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

The obvious in this thread, and what ashleym states was it a bad hire, and Jvg should of been hired if they did want to roll with james and Westbrook for 3 more years. Jeff has more exp in the playoffs, and can take a team further.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Give the man a chance. He may surprise us all.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not a bad hire. Perfect hire for two star guards.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You not a Rockets fan soooo.........

Rocket River

13. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

wait so where are the reasons why silas is a bad hire? I don’t see a single one

14. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Stop the madness so you actually think Lucas and Jvg is better..The game has past old man Lucas up as far as coaching and JVG had his chance here and blew it and I know he wanted to get paid more than what he was getting paid at espn

15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Wait and see! Like you said, Silas will be on the cheap so easy to let him go after two years if we become Sacramento!

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just wanna comment here and say that Morey doesn't insist on layups or 3s, he only insists on efficient shots. He's said this numerous times in different media interviews/appearances. It's the job of the coach to design an offense that produces efficient shots. MOST of the time, for MOST players, layups and 3s are your most efficient shots, so that's what you go for. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to find efficient shots elsewhere on the court. If the coach is running a play or a set that regularly produces a low PPP (points per play), then yeah, Morey will show the coach the data and tell the coach to eliminate it from the offense. If the coach has no ability to find creative ways to produce high PPP players other than shooting 60 3s per game, then that's on the coach.

There are other coaches on other teams who are able to find efficient plays that are not layups or 3s. It's not impossible. Look at the Clippers, Celtics, Heat, or Warriors, I'm sure there are other examples. My hope is that Silas is one of those coaches. Morey is gone now, and we don't know anything about Stone, but I promise you Morey would be happy with ANY play that produces a high PPP, no matter what kind of shot/play it is.

I also believe that Morey could be persuaded that lower PPP plays (but obviously not too low) must be incorporated into the offense in order to make the team harder to guard as a whole. These plays would increase the efficiency of other plays by the unpredictability, and the ways teams would be forced to guard us. It would open up other options, and this would increase our overall offensive efficiency. My boy @hakeem94 has been preaching this point for years now. But again, this all comes back to the coach.

There can be many different versions of Moreyball. The version(s) of Moreyball that we saw with McHale and D'antoni were, in my opinion, due to lack of imagination and creativity from the coaches.

#76 harold bingo, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    MettaWorldPete and daywalker02 like this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no doubt Silas has been well mentored by Nelson, Carlisle, his dad, and Clifford.

he also brings a lot of tools you want in a head coach. player management, offensive coordinator, player development, relationship building, preparation (a word used by Jamal Crawford and Steve Clifford when talking about his hiring by the rockets). he comes with some question marks as a rookie HC. how will he adjust in game on the fly? that's very important towards playoff success. MDA always lost the chess match. we know although he's had mentorship from defensive minded coaches (his dad, Clifford, Carlisle) he hasn't had a chance to show his defensive chops.

I think he's going to be a good HC. I'm not sure about mcmillain or Hornacek as AHC. I'd rather search for someone who's had success as a defensive coordinator. I think the need for him to have a former head coach by his side is overblown and frankly a misstep by stone. he's been on the bench for 17 years. he's not this young inexperienced kid.

raining threes likes this.
  18. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

The comments in this thread are the reasons why I stopped even coming to Clutchfans. Used to be such an respectable and informative forum.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

One possible benefit is if ever a head to head match ups with the Mavs, Silas may know how to exploit some of their weaknesses including Luka and Porky.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not disagreeing.

Cheap players and undrafted players are rarely great mid-range guys.

harold bingo likes this.