1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They should all run at 4k with PS5 and XSX, but only 30fps in many cases.
    So mostly it's better to opt for the 1440p performance modes with better framerates.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Optimizing games for a console is much simpler than for a windows pc with different specs, processors and memory
    The games are probably not on max settings for the new consoles

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yung-T, runamok and tinman like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Oh and I'll second what Yung-T said above about 4K. Honestly, 4K resolution isn't THAT special in and of itself. Some PS3 games were putting out 1080p at 60 FPS, and we saw some PS4/PS4 Pro and XB1/XB1 X games in 4K (maybe some at 60FPS?). So of course PS5/XSX can do 4K, even at 60 FPS.

But just like those 1080p PS3 games, it usually isn't worth the tradeoff. Better to render at lower native resolutions and pump out higher quality pixels than simply more pixels. So far, it seems like we're getting a lot of games that offer 4K 30FPS or dynamic resolution at 60 FPS (or a more solid 30 FPS). Don't know if that will continue.

I think I should be, but I'm not really impressed by 2k21. The animations need a lot of work, but for some reason I'm not even really that impressed by the rest of it either. I'm sure they have more polygons, higher resolution textures, better lighting, etc., but it just doesn't seem that great IMO. Especially for (IIRC) the first game to proudly ask for $70 from gamers (and no free upgrade).

I blame Tilman. Pretty sure he screwed this up somehow as well.
    Depends on exactly how those modes work. If the 30 FPS mode is fully locked, while the 60 FPS mode has a bunch of framerate issues, I could see some people going with the 30 FPS mode (myself included probably). Also depends on if there are any other enhancements. It didn't sound like there were, but if so, then it becomes a tougher decision.

Bluepoint is really good though, so I'd expect both modes to play very well. The trailers look really nice, and they're running in the 60 FPS mode, so I guess I'd lean towards that mode.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

$500 system $70 game $1500 Tv

this better be 60 FPS

peleincubus likes this.
  8. runamok

runamok Member

Yung-T likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

@RC Cola

Can a Next Gen upgrade help this game?

10. dookiester

dookiester Member

think i mentioned being similarly unimpressed earlier in this thread. 2K been focusing too much on getting photorealistic faces that you really only during replays that you skip anyway. the animations look basically the same as they have for the last decade, with players gliding around without any real weight or connection to the hardwood. will be much more of an achievement when they nail the animations and get lifelike player movement on the court.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think 2k8-2k13 roughly are still my favourite gameplay-wise, the animations looked smooth and you couldn't cheese in the paint all day online.

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The thing that bothers me the most is the net/rim graphics on shots. It's literally looked about the same since 2004, just more HD and clear.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sony is also working on Auto-HDR, hopefully it releases soon.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Amazon and Best Buy has LG Nanocells with hdmi 2.1 TVs on sale

for those who want that full next gen future proofing

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Xbox Series X's Advantage Could Lie in Its Machine Learning-Powered Shader Cores, Says Quantic Dream

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-xs...ning-powered-shader-cores-says-quantic-dream/

"The shader cores of the Xbox are also more suitable to machine learning, which could be an advantage if Microsoft succeeds in implementing an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS (an advanced neural network solution for AI)."

This seems to be exactly what Microsoft is pushing right now. Earlier this week, alongside the announcement that Xbox Series S and X are the only next-gen consoles featuring the full AMD RDNA 2 architecture, Microsoft's engineers specifically highlighted these capabilities.

[...] we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution.

Additionally, we also know from AMD that they're working on an open, cross-platform alternative to NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super-Sampling, which again suggests this could be used on both PC and Xbox Series hardware.

@RC Cola interesting tidbits.

Blatz likes this.
  16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

think black friday/cyber tuesday deals will be better?

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wal-Mart and Best Buy have already released their ads. Compare them!

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

didnt even know, will look

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That’s odd that only 2 TVs from all that for Walmart. Where I never shop at. But because chase freedom has their 5% for there this 3 months I planned on buying the ps5 and a tv there.

gotta spend that money so I think I’m getting points and free international flights haha