1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Did Morey want to leave?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HP3, Oct 28, 2020.

?

When Did Morey want to leave?

1. Do you think its when we made the Westbrook trade?

81 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Do you think it was after Dantoni said he wasnt coming back?

22 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Do you think its when Tillman bought the team?

35 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Do you think it was in the middle of our coacing search?

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Other

12 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Tilman avoided the tax for two seasons in a row during Harden's prime. I'm sure that didn't make him too happy. Add that with how long this coaching search was.... my guess is that Tilman's financial budget is the main reason why.

2. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

They just hired Silas. Morey was never getting us anywhere.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just as a guy sitting on the outside and looking in, I know I wouldn't want to hang around if I were in there, and I agree things probably got worse as time went on. I'm more just mad Morey's gone right now.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

You and me both brother. It would just be hard for me to believe/swallow Daryl just didnt give a crap about Houston and was just ready to leave.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When the draft swaps started going out the window that was the writing on the wall. I saw it and I saw about 6 months ago that the Rockets are at serious risk for Harden to demand a trade.

YOLO likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not sure MDA played that much into it, 76ers had to know about Doc and Morey, they could have hired MDA too if Morey really wanted him. These kind of things happen over months so if Morey really had that need of MDA then I think the 6ers high MDA instead of Doc.

I think it was when Tilman took over. We had to know that Morey was never his guy and I can't honestly blame Tilman for that. Honestly, my issue with Tilman will never be him getting rid of Morey. It's rare a team swaps owners and then doesn't restructure the FO in a major way, of course Tilman is going to want his guys and will be biased against Morey. It's like you'd replace the furniture when moving into a house that was already owned. You'd clean out a used car you just bought. You want to make it yours. My issue with Tilman is how he runs things and it looks like, so far, that he's a cheap owner. I hope I'm proven wrong, I'm open to being wrong about this...

With that said, Morey had a lot of power in the franchise before Tilman came and took a lot of that away. Clearly. He now goes to a franchise to not just be a GM but a president of Bball ops, makes all the sense in the world.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

100% when they made the Westbrook trade, because they were 57-3 with Capela, CP3 and Harden healthy....and were CLOSE to a championship......trading CP3 RUINED what he had built so much that he had to give Capela away....sure would have been nice to have some D in the paint and some rebounding and alley oop dunks....

DD

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If that is True than Tillman is a ****ING IDIOT !

DD

9. opticon

opticon Member

I agree. The whole situation was mishandled. Tillman should have let Morey go after a player who had Chris Pauls's skillset like Kyle Lowry or Mike Conley. Even a overpay for Vanfleet would have been a better move than getting Westbrook. To fully maximize Harden everyone has to be able to shoot.

HP3 likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Westbrook trade was clearly the GTFO moment.

Avoid the luxury tax, while a pain in the ass, is something Morey could maneuver around. An owner forcing you to make terrible trades on top of the tax issue, there was no possibility for success.

slothy420 and HP3 like this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Probably when TIlman was like **** these 65 wins, 12 srs team, lets not bring back Ariza.

harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Westbrook trade, and thankfully so. Having 2 MVPs on the same team is a no brainer, and it's still not enough btw. Thank you for everything, but your time is now up unfortunately...

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

maurley wanted to leave when he realized that he hasn't spent much time with his family, which must be very recently

malakas likes this.
  14. HardenVolumeOne

CRAZY

HP3 likes this.
  15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He's from out East, right? He legitimately could have been wanted to get out of Texas for a while. Supposedly had talks before about leaving. A lot easier to work from home and spend time with kids in a area you are familiar with. I'm sure Tilman's decisions and cost cutting may have been the last straw for sure. Made him really evaluate his situation.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Other .... The first time Ferntits made him give up assets to duck the tax line was the spark and every time after that the fire grew

D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  17. Caprah

Caprah Member

When Tillman vetoed the Templeton and Green trade to save money

Der Rabbi and D-rock like this.
  18. gogispade

gogispade Member

Better question would be WHY did he want to leave?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he had that tendency first, or a hunch, probably made the decision 1 offseason ago............

HP3 likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

the family bs from the beginning was nothing but to save a little face so that tilman wouldn't look like the moron he is to the casual fan that has no idea what's going on.

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.