1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander didn't have to sell the Rockets but he did it for greed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Exactly. Les wasn't in it for the team, I agree. That doesn't make him greedy. It just made him the wrong owner. Sadly he found another owner who was even worse.

Tilman will NEED to sell if we are lucky.

Jontro likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don’t care if Tilman “wants to own the team” He sucks and the early returns are telling me that he’s going to run the franchise into the ground.

This is not about Les, Les is gone. That ish needs to die with the LOF’s.

This franchise looks to be headed into some really dark times and it’s beyond disappointing.

topfive likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He clearly did it for the money.
    His valuation was based on the Rockets not his previous occupation.

Look at Steve Balmer, dude was a billionaire before he bought the Clippers

Les became a billionaire because of the Rockets

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tiananman stands with China.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Brother. If you sold me a Porsche it BETTER be a 911 TT from the 90's. The thing is... I can afford it. And I'd have the best Porsche shop deck it out. I wouldn't take it to Bubba at Jiffy Lube like Tilman. Tilman would rebuild the perfectly good engine with parts from China.

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

And the person who owns that Chinese part store is Les Alexander

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thomas was by far a worse owner than Les. But yeah, Les selling to Tillman was a big f u to the city of Houston.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

And how was he a bad owner ?

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

if Les is a steak knife in my hand, Ferntits is an axe swinging at my dick. That's how clear one option is compared to the other when both suck

11. 34to11

34to11 Member

Oh internet, lol.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

You're just embarrassing yourself now.
    Thomas was universally reviled by the end of his tenure and Rockets fans everywhere rejoiced when he finally sold the team.

And for all your talk about being a 99er you seem to be conveniently...or cluelessly...forgetting that the history of this very site (not ClutchFans but ClutchCITY) is part of the reason Tilly Tightwad is the owner of the Rockets now.
    I'm guessing it's because you know acknowledging that reality would undermine your preferred narrative about Les and Tilman.

Victorious likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

playing devils advocate... couldnt Les actually have been doing Houston a solid by selling to TF? I mean TF is a Houston guy who prob wouldnt move the team... but in reality I gotta believe there are other markets you could move the Rockets into to be more profitable - which I would expect from most other investors...

jus spitballin here...

DreamShook likes this.
  14. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Years have gone by and you're still talking about "99er" like its a Masters degree.

Knowing an internet website existed and signing up for it gives you as much credit as that sounds.

And yeah the rest of this post is dumb.
    It's a 9 figure investment at bare minimum, no matter how much of a basketball fan they are or aren't (or what's in their heart or whatever the hell you are trying to go on about) they are still businesses being run by businessmen.

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Tbh

George Lucas ruined his own franchise too instead of letting another person do the scripts he try to do too much and add more action and visual effects plus adding comedic relief when or where it wasn’t needed. He also hired the worse kid actor who wasn’t even an actor and so on.

Disney ruined it too since they wanted to please the old fans and new fans but more importantly they just wanted money. So they didn’t care how the theme or direction of the movies went. They just wanted to release the movies to get their money.

Also another example is JK Rowling with her new movies and the cursed child. Instead of hiring an scriptwriter she wanted to do it all. Is better to surround yourself with honest people that will tell you how they see things instead of yes-man that will try to please and agree with you. That’s what Tillman wants only yes-man and that’s what Morey probably got tired, trying to please him when he felt Tilman was wrong.

Anyway
    Less should have waited one or two years before selling the team. If we had won that first year with cp3 it would have changed everything plus the value of the team would have probably increased. All those closed trades we had that Morey wasn’t able to make were bcoz of Tillman being cheap and also Miami messing things up. We would have had a deeper rooster.

And yes Tillman just wanted to be an owner to show that he has some power. I haven’t seen an owner do so many interviews like he has maybe the exception would be Marc Cuban but he talks about other stuff besides his team.

#55 cerophilik, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude almost ran Hakeem out of town.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

He didn’t run Dream out of town.
    Steve Patterson and Thomas and Dream negotiated a new contract before new ownership came.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

If Les was still owner Morey would be handed over to China after his Hong Kong tweet and we’d never see him again

Plowman likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Les was not a billionaire before he sold the team. The team was the major asset he had that could turn into liquid cash.

Tilman was a billionaire before the Rockets because his businesses were his major asset before the Rockets. He didn’t need to buy the Rockets to be a billionaire.

Les is in Florida with stolen championship trophies @Jontro
    Clearly not wanting to be the owner of a sports team in Houston

Jontro likes this.
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Les got his 2 trophys and after the 2017-18 season, he knew the window was closed. Smart move to peace out, plus he could die at any point hes nearly 80.