1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Philly in advanced talks to hire Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I will still watch the show, but harder to be interested when they killed off my favorite character.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He played for the Rockets for one year, because he was a restricted FA.

More likely than not the Kings could have held out and got a better offer for him at the trade deadline, but they decided to go for a high risk/high reward offer instead. It didn't work out because what they got in return ended up sucking, not necessarily because they got "fleeced".

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

There are a ton more, Scola, Lowry, Kevin Martin and almost a top 5 pick pre Linsanity, Asik, Beverly, Lou Williams. Just off the top of my head.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

D-rock likes this.
  5. JayZ750

Pat and BigShasta like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

Not it doesnt. It says he was a great GM who made a lot of deals which helped our team out a lot(maybe not directly but the facts are his deal making added a lot of value to our team).

Your criticism are saying he isnt a great GM, I dispute that. Even the articles criticisms with things that tare extenuating circumstances like Howard and Cp3 falling out of their prime(but trading Cp3 was a mistake that is not on Daryl) and Chirs Bosh not signing with us were things that were out of Daryl's control and things that we got out of, Eric Gordon will bounce back next year. Ryan Anderson was a bad contract but one Daryl was never able to get out of because he wasnt allowed to.

He's the best deal maker in the league, for every bad trade he's made(like literally every GM in the league) he's made great ones. All while never being able to tank or go into luxury tax. I dont see alot of that in the league.

D-rock, raining threes and ElPigto like this.
  7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hey guys, we found Patrick Fertitta's account.

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  8. JayZ750

no it doesn’t.

it says he was a solid GM. It notes how he made a lot of positive trades for the Rockets. But also notes how the vast majority of the net positive trade value comes from the Harden trade.

it Specifically references a few other specific trades as solid ... They are from 2012 or earlier.

By its own VORP analysis - which itself is just one way to look at it - you can tell from the graph DM did the majority of his great deals in the first half of his tenure. To my point.

speaking of it’s method, though, you’ll see how the rockets “lost” on the CP3 trade by this grading system. Did they really?

It also talks about his so so success pairing Harden with a second superstar.

It also mentions how the rockets, despite the 2nd best win % during his tenure, were only 8th in playoff wins. And was only one of two teams during that span with 50+ playoff wins but no ring.

It glosses over other aspects of the job as well. No mention of letting Parsons go for nothing. No mention of contracts like Lins, or letting Dragić walk for nothing. No mention of choosing Marcus Morris when Kawhi was on the board. Etc.

He was a very solid GM. That’s not in dispute. He wasn’t perfect, lol.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Never being able to tank, a 13-year long, ongoing mandate to be a legitimate contender, and never going into the luxury tax. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the league has seen anything like that ever and I sort of doubt it ever will again.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea it does. It even notes how we always came out ahead even during the non Harden trades.

Again we consistency came out ahead in the deals even during the non Harden trades. Lol if Gm can a generate a VORP equivalent to Kyle Lowry than that GM is doing a damn good job. Even without Harden thats amazing.

What? No it doesnt. He just didnt make as many move after getting Harden. It also talks about getting Trevor Ariza on a good deal, drafting Clint Capela and signing PJ Tucker. Those are moves post Harden that worth doing.

Dude the graph shows Daryl making significantly less deals in the latter half of his tenure. Once we got Harden it became clear that Morey was stockpiling assets to get a second star. Its not to your point.

The article even makes a note of that(Chris Paul deal) and no they didnt and that is in Daryl Morey's favor.

Getting a second super star isnt easy. Look at how many teams there are in the league with two Superstars. There are so many things that go into it. Actually I would argue that this year's Cp3 with assets could have given us a great run at a title this year. Cp3 is that good. Howard declining but replacing him with Clint Capela was a win Chris Paul was definitely a win and we never should have traded him.

This is an analysis without context though? How about you add the context of not being able to go into the luxury tax or not being able to tank? Regular seasons wins you can use in bulk like this but playoff wins require context. Specifically who we lost to and injuries that occurred, that series against the Lakers being a good example. Lol also do you know what team we were competing against? Like we have been competing against the Warriors for a long time and we would have beaten them had Cp3 not gotten injured. Or if we actually went into the luxury tax just last year. Injuries are part of the game. That whole 50+ playoff wins thing without a ring is a meaningless, surface level criticism with no depth to it.

Why do you care about Parsons? Its not a good argument. Parsons has had no value since he left and we replaced him with Ariza who provided way more value. Its not like Dragic has been super amazing his whole career, he wasnt that great after he left the Rockets to go back to Phoenix. Lin was a mistake but show me a GM who doesnt make a mistake. Lol the Warriors literally traded D Lo for Andrew Wiggins, that's a horrible move. And thats just one of many. And can we please stop with drafting Marcus over Kawhi? Like a bunch of teams missed out on him. Why dont you talk about all the teams that missed out on Draymond Green? And even then Kerr had him playing behind David Lee, its not like he was found money either. Like missing out on good drafts happens sometimes. It happens to the best teams.

Do you think the GMs you think are better than Morey are constantly making perfect moves? I didnt say Daryl was perfect. Im saying if you look at what he's had to work(no tanking and no luxury tax) with and the value hes provided than you have to conclude that he's more than solid and that he's a great GM.

Like you listed out a bunch of criticisms either without context or you expect the dude to never make a mistake even when other organizations with other GMs have made plenty of them as well.

#270 HP3, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Daryl Morey leaving isnt as a big of deal, he never has been able to Draft a All Star.

Clint Capela was the only closest to a All Star. But very Slow on Defense laterally.

Draft
    Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry

Trades
    James Harden, Donatas Montiejunas, Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry

Passed on Draft
    Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard

Traded Kyle Lowry and 14th pick, 15th pick was Giannis - James Harden trade

Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, Royce White over Draymond Green

Released Christian Wood
    Releasing Danuel House got him back

12. HP3

HP3 Member

I have no idea how ANYONE can undersell this fact.

D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Yeah. Normally love your posts @JayZ750, but describing DM as merely a solid GM feels like an undersell.

Kind of like saying Jimmy Butler was merely good in the playoffs this year.

D-rock, HP3 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Well he's never been allowed to tank.

So what, Capela was still a good pick for the value he provided.

Lol the draft argument is so ridiculous man. Do you know how many teams missed in the draft, there were a bunch of good organizations that missed out on Kawhi and Draymond.

And Christain Wood didnt start being good until the last two years. We did not have time for player developement in James Harden's prime.

Im really sick of the crap level analysis.

Also I love how you think the trading Kyle Lowry and the pick for James Harden was some kind of bad move cmon man.

D-rock likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

While i'm happy for Daryl, and he does what he does for his family security. Dang, seat is not even cold.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

No GM is perfect. I'm pretty sure even the great Jerry West made some bad calls in his career. Morey didn't have the luxury of having a high lottery pick to build a team with. He didn't have the fortune of drafting in the top 5 over the span of 3 seasons to build his team. He also didn't have the luxury of letting his team bottom out to even get high draft picks.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Brand will take some time off to be with his kids.

D-rock likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Lol......

I thought of a new name for Fertitta. Ready?

Tilldo.

Like a big rubber ding-dong except it's got legs, arms, a mouth and owns the Rockets.

D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Tildo Ferntits

Has a nice ring to it

BamBam and Dankstronaut like this.