1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I would think the inverse is true, I.e., that players closer to becoming UFAs (especially star player me like Correa) are less likely to sign extensions than players who are still in the early years of arbitration battles (see Bregman).

I doubt Correa’s agent will seriously consider any extension, at this point, unless it’s a ludicrous amount. Correa is not signing a hometown discount extension here. He is primed to hit the market at a great time. I’m sure he and his agent want Machado money. He’s going to bet on himself to prove he can be healthy and produce during the bulk of a full regular season to help secure the bag. I would be shocked if he signed an extension here with just one year to go.

Alvarez and Tucker extensions would be interesting. DHing really hampers Yordan’s arbitration value, so I could see us hitting a sweet spot with him. Tucker is a good young player, and maybe we buy out his arbitration years and first or second otherwise UFA years, but I don’t see that happening with so many other vets on the team. His payday will come, but for now we may prefer the arb process on him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Correa might accept 90% of what he perceives as his open market value to secure a deal now and stay in Houston. But paying 90% value to a guy who thinks he’s worth $250M is nowhere near as valuable to the Org as paying Alvarez, Valdez, or Tucker 40% of their value to extend control 2 years (just as they did with Bregman).

Both Tucker and Alvarez received huge bonuses when they signed as amateurs, so they’re not poor kids who need to secure a payday. But they are pretty much in the exact same situation Bregman was in when he signed his deal, except Alvarez now has an injury history and both guys are limited defensively. Valdez has made almost no money so he may be even more motivated to sign a team friendly extension.

Who knows what’ll happen, but just based on Click’s background I think it’s much more likely we see young guys sign extensions rather than Correa.

3. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Tucker is not limited defensively. He’s a finalist for Golf Glove.

Astrofan59 and IowaAstro like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL, that’s great news, no need to look for a CF now!

TWS1986 likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Man, teams seem to be declining team options on players left and right. Seems to indicate teams will be fairly desperate to shed payroll.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Like I said...from a steamer

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Generally, extensions are signed a season before arbitration to a season before free agency. During that span, I do think the earlier the better, but not many extensions are signed before a year before arbitration. Arbitration tends to be the driver that gets the player and team willing to negotiate.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So are you saying Framber will suck next year? Or do you generally agree that Framber looks like a pretty good pitcher?

TWS1986 and raining threes like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Let me know what WOPR says.

boomboom likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Can you imagine the media’s reaction if the Astros won the World Series, and one of our players, who was pulled mid game for a positive COVID test, disregarded league orders and continued to celebrate maskless with the team and family members?

that’s worse than sign stealing by a LONGSHOT.

11. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Not surprised at all. What to do with Brantley!!

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At this point I will be really really surprised if he is offered a QO. Would not shock me if he signed with Houston though. But it would have to be a paycut from what he made this season and he’d have to sign it before free agency began.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’ll never win Golf Glove.

awc713 and Htown Legend like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

It is going to be historically bad for a number of reasons.

The Cardinals are especially going to be hit hard.

This off season may be a lot better for not signing a higher profile guy but spreading that money across multiple guys. There are going to be some relievers and good starter quality bats that will slip through the cracks.

IowaAstro, TWS1986, awc713 and 4 others like this.
  15. elrond

elrond Member

Sorry, was with you up until #4. Just don't like that guy.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So basically, you are calling projections that suggest Framber will likely be a pretty good pitcher crap, but when pressed for what you think, you deflect. Anyone that watched Framber should agree that he will likely be a very good pitcher and that there is enough data that statistical projections should concur.

Astrofan59 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Oddly enough, I'd want him on the team. He has meltdowns, but certainly can pitch. It would kind of be like having Beverly on the team, but not quite Derek Fisher level.

Astrofan59 and htwnbandit like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Baltimore seems like a good potential trade match for Houston. I could see Houston adding Cobb, Severino, and an OF (Santander and/or Mancini). And Baltimore’s GM is familiar with Houstons pitching depth so he’d probably be willing to make that swap.

Astros get:
    SP Alex Cobb
    C Pedro Severino
    OF Anthony Santander
    $3M

Orioles get:
    RHP Luis Garcia
    RHP Jairo Solis
    RHP Rogelio Armenteros

Houston would then only be looking for a closer and a CF.

19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Why is Houston looking for a closer? We have a top 5-7 closer in Osuna who’s been progressing and throwing for a month now.

No way do the Astros lose Springer AND Brantley.

We also don’t need a catcher.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You think they will tender him not knowing what his status is? He's throwing from flat ground. Verlander was doing that as well.

Also, Maldonado can't catch 162 games.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.