1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael Stone will lead search for new Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Feel depressingly bad for Harden. :(

I guess he gets more Lebron-like team powers, fwiw...

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

So Stone is just going to sit on his hands for upcoming draft?

Very un-Morey like. Not a great sign of things to come.

Morey would have already worked out potential 2nd rounders that may fall out of draft.

And/or work phones for trading/buying SRP.

6'5 sniper Isaiah Joe or 6'9 Mamadu Diakite would be good targets to fill different roles.

sirjesse, tmoney1101 and fattz like this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

I think this is our new norm, unfortunately.

D-rock and tmoney1101 like this.
  4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Nobody worked harder than Morey. It wasn’t work for him it was passion. We’re going to have to get used to this half assed approach under Tilman.

D-rock and fattz like this.
  5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the Rockets are doing (nearly) the same sort of due diligence they did last year, to the extent permitted by COVID protocols. We just don't hear about these sorts of things because (A) the COVID protocols don't allow the team to bring players in for their own private workouts and (B) the Rockets are typically tight-lipped about pre-draft workouts.

At the very least, the Rockets will want to scout like hell to try to find the best undrafted free agents (like they did with Clemons last year and Cam Oliver and Robert Covington in years past). They will have at least one open two-way spot available that they will want to fill.

Given that they will likely have done some pre-draft homework, it does not require a huge leap in logic to see them at least explore buying a draft pick. Will they ultimately buy a pick? Probably not. But the lack of NEWS about pre-draft workouts should not be the reason for you to draw that conclusion.

Deuce, hieuytran, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Maybe just me but...I have a feeling that Morey will continue to be our GM and work behind the scenes.

I think him publicly quitting was just to appease relationships with China, both by the NBA and Rockets organization.

Just a hunch.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Has Stone found you a spot in the FO yet?

Deuce, hieuytran, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, now Tilman is spreading mob money and directing it to Morey's offshore account.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Ha! Actually, the way I met Rafael Stone was that he interviewed me for a job to be his #2 (Associate General Counsel) for the Rockets and Toyota Center a few years ago!

Long story short: I was encouraged to apply for the job by someone with the Rockets. I was a finalist for the job, but (1) Stone (thankfully) explained to me that the job would mostly entail doing stuff for Toyota Center instead of the Rockets; (2) they (wisely) went with someone younger and hungrier than me; and (3) it would've been a pretty big pay cut from my then-current job.

I am actually cautiously optimistic about Rafael Stone as the new GM. He is a really smart guy. Very shrewd. Constantly looking for CBA loopholes and ways to gain a competitive advantage. If he fails, it probably won't be due to incompetence.

Rudyc281, Reeko, Williamson and 22 others like this.
  10. rockets13champs

Wow that’s such a cool story. That gives me alittle hope for Stone as well. If he was hand picked by Morey he probably has some Morey in him for sure

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I have a friend who knows him and speaks very highly of him as well. I'm excited to see how he does. His background and the fact that he has been with the team so long gives me a lot of faith that he will want to knock this out of the park. Obviously Daryl leaving is a big blow, McNair and Rosas (last season) leaving is big as well. It seems as if its been a collaborative FO for a few years and I hope Eli and Stone have the keen eye for hiring great new minds to be integral to the front office.

#51 treyk3, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Rudyc281, Deuce, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, I’m not that worried about Stone. He’s smart and been around long enough to know a thing or two. I just hope that he’s allowed to do his job without too much interference.

sirjesse likes this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

D-rock and Nook like this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoy smart guys in our front office, but I wonder if they have any pull with player agents. After all, this is a players league. Would be great to get a Jerry West/Pat Riley type of character in our front office that at least lets us reserve a spot to make a pitch.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This, Morey also lacked that pull but you couldn't forget his face and 'charisma' .

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Sooooo how's that leading going?

D-rock likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great story, thanks for sharing that.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This indecision is not a good sign. Can't be this indecisive when making deadline deals, teams will move on or the deadline will have passed.

D-rock likes this.
  19. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

From what I am reading Stone is a bad ass. MIT/Stanford guy. Knows the analytics a bit. Let's let the man get acclimated and set the direction for coach and team.

Until a coach is named we really won't truly get a sense if small ball is here to stay or if we will move back toward a more traditional style. Heck, it is possible with Daryl gone the idea that 3 is better than 2 may go away as well.

As Rocket fans we are swinging in the wind right now. Silver's proposed start to next season also shrinks the timeline for things as well.

Just keeping my head down and hoping the team starts making better decisions! Oh and Tildo sucks!

Rudyc281 and BigShasta like this.
  20. HardenVolumeOne

and he might be cheaper than morey, so tillman gotta love that. I just silas is in tilmans budget. We already know abc will match whatever we offer to jvg