1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All of the 2017 players have a stigma attached. For the foreseeable future, they will face some hostile environments and incessant stories.

An individual player won't face as much constant scrutiny.

That being said... any team that signs any 2017 Astro is the epitome of hypocrisy.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I mean, Springer could still very well resign here...but we’re going to have to make the highest offer to do so. Not likely obviously, but this market is way less predictable than past years...so who knows. Springers age and injury history is the only reason we have a chance IMO.

Unrelated, but I saw an interesting hypo trade proposal on Twitter...Framber for Jo Adell straight up. Interesting. I don’t know if I do it, I love Framber...but it makes you think.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Marwin and Marisnick haven’t faced any kind of wrath. Springer won’t either. Outside of Altuve, Bregman, and Correa (if he signs an extension), no player will catch much flack.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would do that trade.

MrBear1 and awc713 like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Twins didn't seem to suffer much backlash from signing Marwin.

lw17 likes this.
  6. bobrek

Marwin was signed as a free agent prior to the results of the investigation.

That being said, I think you're proving the point I am trying to make. The Astros will continue to get vilified while an individual player won't face as much scrutiny.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree with you in general. My point was that if Springer claims toxicity as his reason for leaving the Astros, people may not buy it (for the 2020 season).

Overall, the team will continue to take a PR beating. No doubt. My comments were specific to Springer.

8. bobrek

Perhaps toxicity was the wrong word. I am 99% sure Springer would not say that the reason for leaving was the scandal. The media narrative will be that Springer left due to the lingering affects of the scandal, providing the Astros make a comparable offer.

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would be utterly shocked if Springer said anything about that if he signed elsewhere. Anything other than “this was where I wanted to be, I enjoyed my time in Houston but this was the best choice for my future blah blah blah” would be extremely stupid on his part.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Damn, I love Framber but I’d have to seriously consider

TWS1986 likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agree with both of you. No, Springer wont say that to the media. He will recite the "I am leaving" cliché that most all players say when they leave a team.

As to what the media will say, isnt Springer "perceived" as one of the ring leaders of the cheating to begin with? Sure, Beltran was a key guy, but he is out of baseball for the time being. So the face of the scandal has to be Bregman, Altuve, Correa, and Springer (primarily).

So, what will the medias narrative be? Player behind scandal leaves because of the scandal? o_O

edit: Speaking of Beltran, like Luhnow, maybe his employment opportunities are not so great either right now. Is he preparing for his story to come out also?

#231 jim1961, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    TWS1986 likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

I think this would only make sense if you expect significant regression for Framber next season. 60FV position player is worth around $60M but Framber's projections given his incredible performance this season are around 3.8 - 4.3 FIP which would be good for 3-4 WAR in a full season. Given that he won't reach arbitration until 2022 and won't be a FA until 2026 he could have surplus value (based on his current Steamer projection for instance) in excess of $60M.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Where are you seeing those projections for Framber? If you’re just extrapolating his 2020 numbers over a full season I would expect that to represent his ceiling, not a likely outcome. I like Framber and believe there was substance behind his breakout but there is also risk in excess of standard pitcher risks. Adell is not without risk either but flipping an ace-like half season of Framber for a MLB Top 10 prospect is a good move imho.

14. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

I understand the payroll circumstances and all of the that stuff, but it’s just frustrating that our top FA for the second straight season doesn’t even want to be back

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Screaming Fist

His 2020 numbers across an entire season would make him a 6 WAR pitcher so those projections are already regressed. Steamer updates their projections throughout the season and it’s on his player page on fangraphs.

Additionally, while there is always some additional risk with pitchers, we’re comparing a player that has had success at the MLB level vs one that hasn’t done anything above AA. The odds of Adell being a bust are similar to his odds of being a star player.

17. htownbball

htownbball Member

Well if Springer is gone that leaves us enough room to bring back Brantley. What about Kevin Pillar on a 2 year deal as a stop gap until we find/develop a permanent option?

awc713 and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If true, at least the Dodgers are not getting him.

Sorry George, but if you go to Boston or the NYY, I am going to have to continue to root against that teams success at every turn.

Honestly, if its the NE, I would like to see you join the Mets and hopefully be instrumental in f#cking over the Yankees.

#238 jim1961, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    lw17 likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I expect both OF slots to be filled via trade (similar to how Tampa traded for Margot, Arozarena, Meadows, and Renfroe) but in terms of lower cost free agents Pillar is a good fit.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wouldn't hold it against Springer for taking the money. He's been wildly underpaid in his career. Only 37 million so which is what Trout and Harper make in one year.