1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Below is just a list of players I could see the Astros trading for or signing as free agents..... some of them are more long shots that others.

We know they likely will need a CF and another outfielder, so most likely 2 outfielders will be brought on. It is possible that they may transition an infielder into a CF. They also may look for a starter reclamation project and likely at least one veteran bullpen arm and possibly two.

If we are to assume Click will be consistent with what he favored in Tampa, we will see an emphasis on the draft, but also reclamation projects which will allow for money to be spent to keep star players beyond arbitration. Luhnow would discuss giving bigger contracts to relievers and spent money on guys like Reddick. My guess is that we do not see financial resources used this way under Click. The one exception possibly being for an ace or down the round, a top bat.

Marcus Semien
    Kole Calhoun
    Robbie Grossman
    Corey Dickerson
    Jurickson Profar
    Tommy LaStella
    Starling Marte
    Jackie Bradley Jr.
    Kevin Pillar
    Kevin Kaiermaier
    Brett Phillips

Carlos Rondon
    Keone Kela
    Steve Matz
    Dillon Maples
    Jake Odorizzi
    James Paxton
    Mychal Givens
    Mike Minor
    Homer Bailey
    Adrian Morejon
    Jon Gray
    Archie Bradley
    Seth Lugo
    Daniel Norris

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Miami has a glut of OF and it wouldn’t surprise me if Click got one of them. Whether that means helping the Marlins shed payroll by taking on Marte or Dickerson, or taking a shot on one of their failed prospects in Sierra, Brinson, or Harrison. Jon Berti is also the type of versatile under the radar guy the Rays have targeted in the past.

It’s hard for me to guess what Click will do with any certainty. He has never had any payroll flexibility to work with so pinning to the Rays ways isn’t a lock. I do think it’s safe to say they won’t be handing out any $100M deals, even to Springer.

whiskeyred, raining threes and Nook like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Somehow Josh James threw some of the best baseball of his career...after tearing the labrum in his hip. He underwent surgery, the Astros announced, and the recovery time is 6-8 months. The linked article says that James initially suffered the injury on August 20.

James, "Opening Day" through August 20: 10.2IP, 12H/13ER, 13K:14BB. 10.97 ERA / 2.44 WHIP.
    James, September 9 - ALCS Game 7: 10.2IP, 8H/5ER, 11K:4BB. 4.22 ERA / 1.13 WHIP*

*Includes the ALDS Game 3, in which he threw 1IP, 3H/3ER, 0K:1BB and blew the save opportunity.

This makes no sense to me, and I've been staring at this for entirely too long. He'll be back at the end of June at the minimum, or end of August. Not exactly what the Astros were looking for.

http://www.astroscounty.com/2020/10/monday-morning-hot-links_25.html

If all you went by was this, his normal is terrible. He only started pitching well AFTER HE TORE HIS LABRUM..

4. SuraGotMadHops

Have we heard anything about Osuna as far as 2021 is concerned? I've been looking but most of the reports dropped off after it was thought he needed TJ but then he elected to just shut it down, haven't seen anything else since probably August. From what I can tell he's arb eligible for 2021 and UFA in 2022.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Kaplan said on the Crawford Talks podcast that he thinks they'll non tender him. Why pay him 10 million to rehab when you don't have to?

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

That’s hard to believe.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I think Click said he was throwing in September but didn't give details so not sure if it was off the mound or on a flat ground. Also who knows if it was light tosses or if he was throwing relatively fast to test out his elbow. And for all we know if could have been just a few throws.

But like the other poster said, probably non tendered. Why take the risk. Imagine if he ended up needing TJS after all.

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

With all the young arms and Press in the pen, no way a hurt Osuna is brought back to this payroll. Astros have bigger fish to fry on next years payroll.

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

Not sure how reliable this guy is, but I wasn't expecting them to re-sign Springer anyway.

raining threes likes this.
  11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It has been obvious since early in the year, just as it was obvious with Cole. It is the nature of fandom to put on rose-colored glasses, but there is no chance he returns regardless of what mathematical scenarios we put together. Same with Brantley, with the possible exception scenario where we use a QO, no one comes close to matching, and he decides to stay for one more year.

Time to move on emotionally...

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Seriously, other than players who might accept a QO, which star players have reached free agency only to resign with their last team? I can’t even think of an example in all of baseball much less the Astros. Pretty much from opening day this year it was highly unlikely Springer was going to resign with Houston.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Let’s actually see how the market moves with so many teams (including big market teams) looking too lower payroll or not substantially increase it.

All eyes are on 2022 free agency.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. msn

msn Member

Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, and Jose Altuve, off the top of my head.

Bernie Williams. Derek Jeter. Mike Schmidt. Don Mattingly. Robbie Alomar? John Smoltz, Tom Glavine.

But yeah, it seems less and less common these days.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The 3 Astro contracts were all extensions and the players never reached the point where they were true free agents, able to sign with any team. I'm too lazy to look up the others.

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Altuve never reached free agency. I’m not sure Biggio and Bagwell reached free agency either, but those were so long ago as to not be relevant, as are all the other names you listed.

I went deep thru the leaderboards in both position players and pitchers and the only player who I saw who actually reached free agency and signed with his former team was Jose Abreu with the White Sox.

#216 Snake Diggit, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  17. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

I think Biggio had a contract offer from Colorado at some point. Looks like 1995.

msn likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But you know the narrative will be that Springer had to get out of that toxic environment rather than "it's usually what happens".

everyday eddie, msn and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe. But consider Baker. A toxic environment (in 2020) implies Baker. There might be writers that love Baker and might not leap to tarnish HIS name, as much as they may want to pour it on the Astros otherwise.

Here is a question.
    Does the baseball sports world love Springer or Baker more?

You see my point? Springer might have a hard time selling that the 2020 Astros were toxic.

20. msn

msn Member

Beat me to it.