1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Down to 2!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Oct 26, 2020.

1. raining threes

I'm hoping for JVG because hopefully that will signal the end of the small ball era.

ksny15 likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I hate the fact that Houston has to pick between the two or 3. Just sign all three tilman. JvG Defensive Coordinator, Silas offensive coordinator and Lucas as the third coach. Just get rid of one of those crack den hotels and pay for a winning formula.

3. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">People are reporting that Lucas has rejected the offer ... leaving it down to Silas. <br><br>Rockets fans who do you want?</p>&mdash; BraBra (@BraBraBall) <a href="">October 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Under a van gundy tenure..
    >Tucker is signed to a near max deal
    >Offense averages 78 points a game
    >dead last in fast break points
    >Weatherspoon named assistant Coach
    >Team will enjoy self loathing
    > Luther Head will get a try out
    > No rookies will get playing time
    > Stan Van Gundy will rip us a apart
    > Will look for the second coming of Ryan Bowen

D-rock likes this.
  5. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

I fall into the category of wanting Van Gundy.I dont have a solid rational argument. I dont know enough about Silas and certainly dont know anything bad about him. I wont be mad if they hire Silas. The season when I became a jvg fan was when he took the 8th seeded Knicks (only 8th seed to ever make a finals I think) team to the finals in 99. He lost Ewing in the conference finals (game 2 I believe) and lost to the spurs in the finals with no Ewing and a hobbled grandmama. I loved him as Rockets coach and yes the rockets didnt advance but there were injuries and gaping holes in the roster. I guess I also like defensive basketball also. I believe he lives and breathes hoop, has evolved with the game, and knows how to use his personnel and motivate a collective spirit. I also think he could be the brodie whisperer.

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Youre acting like we had these elaborate plays last year when mda really just had harden and westbrook driving in or passing to the corner

CK Johnson likes this.
  7. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Perhaps, but this is more of a stop gap solution, at best, to our problems. This is not forward thinking, in the slightest. Granted, grabbing a young basketball mind with a pedigree may not be good enough to corral the egos of Harden and Westbrook. But, I take my chances there instead of the obvious 1.5 year re-hire of JVG. We'll be right back to where we are now mid 2022, still searching for that up and coming young mind or splash big name. A JVG hire is a mere punt to hoping another big name shakes loose within the next 2 years, I promise you.

D-rock likes this.
  8. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I got to go with Silas

D-rock, Highlyrated and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I hope this is true. Lucas will be on board regardless of the outcome and hopefully we give new blood with offensive success a shot.

D-rock likes this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd say its about creating a culture... and JVG is the kind of no nonsense, will get down on the ground and fight kinda guy who is a good start to such an endeavor. imo.
    [​IMG]

and thats no slight on Silas - he may be better... but i know what JVG brings to the table...

raining threes and Corrosion like this.
  11. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

You have to remember that JVG is a great basketball coach in general, and can maximize any personnel he’s given. Look at the work he’s done with Team USA as an example.

Also, please remember those low scoring teams were because of the players we had. Yao couldn’t run, and needed a slower pace. And TMac preferred to walk it up the court.

12. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

team jvg all the way. I always thought the teams he inherited had huge deficiencies, maybe even more so than the team we have now. But the way he has consistently shown love to Houston and I think part of him always wanted to make up for not having us advance during his previous stint.

kjayp and raining threes like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not sure why OP is excited about this --- assuming he'd want Kenneth Faried as HC.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bruhbruh plz

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silas would be a great coach for a rebuild/young team. But that's definitely not happening this year, and perhaps not anytime in the near future. This is what makes the call so tough to my way of thinking. For me, JVG is the obvious choice at this point, but...should we actually be allowed/need to pivot into a rebuild, he's not the guy.
    I'm convinced Tilly needs to bring in JVG and let him do his thing...while forking out for Silas as top assistant/HC in waiting. I believe Nook mentioned this combo.
    JVG + Finch would get it done for now....
    But Silas is too valuable and should be nailed down.

16. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

What a sad pathetic person

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I mean JVG / Finch may be a good combo moving forward. Get JVG for the now and Finch can be our rebuild option when JVG inevitably steps aside.

kjayp and Plowman like this.
  18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

You're going to hang your JVG hat on something he did 23 years ago?!? OK... This is low hanging fruit for me, so I'm going to leave this one right here...

19. riko

riko Member

We need JVG. A new young head coach will get eaten alive by Harden and Westbrook. JVG will have the clout to get them to play with more structured principles on both ends.

20. vick

vick Member

Silas or JVG better get used to eating at Landry's.

D-rock and raining threes like this.