1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank You JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RasaqBoi, Oct 25, 2020.

1. raining threes

Because a contender might need a pass rusher. (Pack/Seahawks/Titans come to mind.) This offseason they will try to fill the needs through the draft.

Better to clear out as much cap space as possible for the new regime to make moves now rather than hamstringing the new regime by being over the cap and having less draft picks to work with. IMHO

Are you against any trades at the deadline or just trading Watt at the deadline?

charlieaustin likes this.
  2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

From the other teams perspective, the issue with trading JJ is that to keep him next year, he's owed $17.5 m. He can be released after this season with no penalty, but what is anyone really going to give up for a 10 game rental? Maybe a 4th?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. BleedsRocketRed

Let this man go, please. He's done all he can for this franchise and city. Nobody will be mad, his number will be in the rafters when its all said and done. One of the GOATS got to play in a Houston uniform.

Send this man to Pittsburgh with his brothers, or Tampa with the GOAT Brady for pennies on the dollar. Eat up some of his salary if you can to make a trade work. Let him have a chance.

bcast89 and BossHogg713 like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I promise you I'm not a homer but this team has only lost to one team that they SHOULD have beaten. All the other teams are division leaders (with the exception of Baltimore). The rest of the schedule is notably easier. Perfect time for the bye; changes can be made. Change schemes, change players, change coaches. Some names that could still help the team:

Earl Thomas (or Eric Reid)
    Cameron Wake (or Clay Matthews...maybe even Suggs)
    Prince Amakamura (or Tramon Williams or Mo Claiborne)
    Not a lot of help at RB but they can try something else.

I really wish we would stop the whole "we can take this no name UDFA guy and make him a star because potential instead of getting someone who has proven he can be a playmaker". Players like Murray, Gaines, and Crossen should have been left alone.

If they don't give up and stay locked in they could finish anywhere between 7 and 9 wins. And very importantly, they will be facing the teams likely to be fighting for the potential 2nd and 3rd wild card teams. Colts, Browns, and Patriots.

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Please don't trade him to Seattle. I don't need every Hawks fan wanting to talk to me about former Texans.

BossHogg713 and TWS1986 like this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think the optics for trading Watt, vary.

If we trade him to a team like the Steelers, then that's fine because we're trading him to a contender while getting stuff back.

However, if we got the same stuff back for Watt, but the team we're trading him to happens to be the Jets (lol), then there'd be a riot because we're basically sending Watt to purgatory.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with this. So far, we've faced KC, BAL, PIT, MIN, JAX, TEN and GB.

JAX, KC, BAL, PIT, GB? Foregone conclusion. No one would have expected a different outcome.
    TEN? With the way they've played, and besides their own loss to PIT, TEN is a very good team.

To be honest, the only game to be 'mad' about, is the Vikings game.

But there are fans who think every game should be a W. :rolleyes:

8. raining threes

A desperate team probably would give up a 3rd. But this really isn't about getting value back it's about clearing the books so they can add players in FA. Draft picks are just the cherry on top. Also Watt wouldn't be the only player traded at the deadline if I was in charge. I would trade Stills/WFV/N. Martin etc... and would even give a 6th to get rid of Mercilus and clear the books of as many bad contracts as possible.

There are so many bad contracts on the defensive side of the ball it's crazy and the defense has spent alot of money to be so pathetically slow.

Nook likes this.
  9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

if it was just about money they could release him the offseason with zero dead cap. So now is the time to get any value that you can.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I mean... Not only does his team suck..

His wife is now in Chicago, and he's seeing his two brothers playing together on an undefeated team.

I get it. And with the state of this team... It hurts to say but I'm fine if we trade him... Just glad it won't be bob doing it.

11. dookiester

dookiester Member

lol who would trade for nick martin? overpaid, underperforming centers are not trade assets. this roster is a mess and it will take years to undo the damage of the obrien/easterby era. by then deshaun watson will probably explore joining teams that already have talent rather than wait for the texans to stumble their way trying to figure out how to build a team. and we'll be back to trying to find a franchise quarterback and the cycle will continue unless we find a magician GM who can fix all this.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

misleading thread title, but I get it... JJ deserves another team better than this one. I'm not mad tho. He did well here and gave us his best years. Can't fault him for that.

raining threes likes this.
  13. raining threes

If you can't trade N.Martin cut him and save 6.5 million on the cap. I think you missed the point.

Nook likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Don’t expect the Texans to trade anyone. Teams have been low-balling to try to steal players. They have especially low-balling on Watt (less than a 3rd). The Texans will be content to let the GM and HC decide on players’ future.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Def agree it's time to let him go. I feel bad for the guy, he is wasting his time here.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Just like I want Harden to die a Rocket, I want JJ to die a Texan. I don't care how much time he wastes here, I dont want him going anywhere else and succeeding. Now, if he does go someplace else, I'll be rooting for him.

joshuaao and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I use to think the same, but with the way the Texans ruin your every love out of the team.... I can't do it, I'll root for him anywhere he goes. I am almost at the same point with Harden. I would rather see these 2 succeed vs fail over and over with bad ownership.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans should not trade anyone, unless you are blown away by the package. Otherwise, waiting til the new regime is install is smart. You will ALWAYS get better return before the draft. Only in MLB, do you get the best packages during the season. In the NBA and NFL, the offseason is better.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

While I respect where you are coming from... they also could easily only win 1-2 more games the rest of the year. The schedule is easier but there isn’t a certain win the rest of the way. They have easier games against Jacksonville, Cincinnati and those are their best shot at winning. They play the Patriots but I wouldn’t pick the Texans against them.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Thats all on Mcnair. He had the power to do it, but he didn't. Didn't take a genius to figure it out. I mean that stupid play call during the chiefs game was alone to let him go right then and there. Going for it on your side of the field with a 21 point lead in the 2nd quarter? Then deciding to kick a field goal on their side of the field when you are now down.