1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem not impressed with LeBron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TWS1986, Oct 26, 2020.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Hakeem layin the smack down? @tinman

https://sports.yahoo.com/hakeem-olajuwon-jumps-goat-debate-170017184.html

As fans, we idolize and mythologize the era we grew up watching. That could be Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan, or LeBron James. The era we fell in love with the game, and the biggest stars of that era, hold a special place in our hearts.

With players, it’s the best guys they go against who get that same idolization.

Enter Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon, the two-time champion of the 1990s. He appeared on CNBC and was asked about the current Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James Greatest Of All Time (GOAT) debate (hat tip Basketball News). Of course, he went with his era.

“When people start comparing him with Jordan, then that’s not a fair comparison. Jordan was a far more superior player in a very tough league, and he was very creative. That’s not taking away anything from LeBron because he is a great player, but it is not a fair comparison because Jordan is a far superior player.”

This is a debate — and it should be. The fun of discussing the GOAT (and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would like to throw his hat in that ring) is that there is no right answer. This is not a simple math problem with only one solution. The GOAT debate has context, who someone played with and against, the style of play, even what a player did off the court can factor in for some people.

We know where Olajuwon stands in the debate, he’s sticking up for his era. It doesn’t make other opinions any less valid.

ak99999, gatsby, clos4life and 5 others like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is an old statement of Hakeem. I've read it before. I agree with him. Jordan was better than Lebron. Jordan played in a tougher era. Hakeem is humble, he knows Jordan was afraid of him.

@tinman @ApacheWarrior @Deckard

3. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure why this is controversial.

Of course Jordan is better than LBJ.

LBJ is one of the 2-4 best players ever but he isn’t Jordan.

saleem, UTSA2step, lilbird20 and 9 others like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I think Olajuwon was the greatest. Just never got to play with multiple better than average stars. Sampson
    was ok. I just never saw him as more than “just average”

Jordan: Pippin, Kukoc Dennis Rodman. Rodman was not the good offensive player but could slash....Def MVP type.

LeBron never won squat by himself, needed: Bosh, D-Wade....KLove, Irving.....AD, Rondo

But I’m biased.

5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Oh, oops. Didn't mean to post old stuff :).

saleem likes this.
  6. CertifiedTroll

I saw it recirculate on Yahoo last week also.

saleem and TWS1986 like this.
  7. saleem

You’re more than welcome to post this, again and again!

BigShasta and Deckard like this.
  8. saleem

Ralph was more than average, but if Hakeem had better talent around him in the late 80’s, he probably would have won 5 rings. There is no doubt that he won with players who gave it their all in the back to back championships. Rudy was right, never underestimate the heart of a champion. Hakeem was the leader of those teams.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Explain how Jordan played in a tougher ERA? The competition was weak back then and he never even played Hakeem who was the only player on his level.

Bulls could win a game while making 0 three pointers. That would never happen today. It would be impossible.

UTSA2step and hakeem94 like this.
  10. saleem

Ask the Dream, he said that. Winning without three pointers shows strength in my opinion. It shows you're not dependent on only jumpers. I didn't like the hand checks, but the physicality of the league was very tough, with many good teams. Apart from the Rockets, the Knicks, Pacers, the bad boy Pistons, the Jazz, Sonics, Spurs, the young Magic and the later part of the Showtime Lakers were part of that extended era. Our Rockets had to go through all of them too. It's not our fault that Shaq and Penny beat the Bulls in the 94-95 playoffs. It's a guard/ small forward era now. Lebron will get two free throws, even if you breathe on him now. He is skillful and a great passer/ solid defender but he would had a lot of problems getting to the line, whenever his jumper would be off in the 80's/ 90's.

#10 saleem, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Duke Fan, clos4life, sirjesse and 2 others like this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It just shows how basketball has evolved. You can’t win without shooting threes. The warriors would wipe the floor with the bulls if they continued to play that way. Everyone of those teams you listed had 1 Star at best. All the teams now have multiple all stars super stars MVPs. Talent is nba now is just so much better. I’m sorry I love Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, etc but they wouldn’t start on any team in the current NBA.

Please go back and watch a whole game in the 90s and tell me it was more physical. Not every team was the Pistons. Plenty of touch fouls every which way. Sure they changed the rules about about flagrant but superstars always got calls. Jordan shot plenty of bs free throws and probably more than Lebron. For a star as great as Lebron he actually doesn’t shoot that many free throws. If you just compare attempts it may seem like more but you have to factor in pace and possessions. Considering how much faster the game is played now, and how many more possessions it’s only natural for free attempts to increase.

UTSA2step and hakeem94 like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe Sampson was with the top 50 NBA players but like Yao was always hurt. Sampson could have and should have been David Robinson-like. If he was.......Olajuwon would have 5 or 6 rings and talked about
    as the greatest in the game. Right there with Jordan/LeBron.

Ramo$e and saleem like this.
  13. saleem

No doubt without that.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I always end this unanswerable question with the following:

Would Jordan's teams be able to adjust to today's game and play with more pace? And still be effective? Usually the answer is yes... and other than teams with a really slow/plodding big-man, most teams of the 90's would adjust seamlessly to todays game... and in many cases, having an athletic big man would be a huge advantage compared to what is considered a "big man" today.

On the contrary, would 3-point shooting dependent, small-ball teams of todays era be able to adjust if they played in the era of hand-checking, no-touch fouls on the perimeter, no easy layups, no illegal defense? I would say some would do just fine... but largely some of the smaller guys would probably feel the effects of the increased physicality and have it impact their finesse games.

15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Is this a legitimate post?

saleem, omgTHEpotential and Duke Fan like this.
  16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Jordan and other greats didn't have to go through COVID. This alone makes LerBron GOAT.

If Jordan was truly great, he would have made more than 93 Million. LerBron The GOAT has made 272M and expected to make an additional 100M. By this calculation, LerBron is 4x the GOAT Jordan ever was. And he has made it to the finals at least 10 times!!!

hakeem94 and JumpMan like this.
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol

clos4life likes this.
  19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

lol! Half the league would have had you head first in the back of a garbage truck for saying such a thing back in the day.
    The hand check was the best thing in basketball and the league has not been the same since. Refs are more like your momma at a iv game today.

saleem and Ramo$e like this.
  20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Lebron probably would have made way less if it wasn't for Yao Ming and the Rockets(China Money). Why you think he got all pissy? I promise Jordan has made more off the court than Lebron. Nobody is waiting in line for Lebron's lol. Jordan has made more on retro versions than Lebrons new shoes. I don't even wear Jordans. I had those white Hakeem's.

clos4life and TimDuncanDonaut like this.