1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 18, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hmmm, we are supposed to play Soccer Sunday morning in the woodlands, need to watch this thing to see if it veers north east as expected.

DD

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cone is starting to get pretty narrow. I won't jinx it, but I'm not going to lose sleep tonight.

Hurricane Delta Advisory 19
    Valid: 03:00 PM CDT Thursday October 08, 2020

[​IMG]

Current Location: 24.6N, 93.3W
    Geographic Reference: 375 Miles SSW of Lafayette, LA
    Movement: Northwest at 10 mph
    Max Winds: 105 mph gusting to 125 mph
    Current Hurricane Severity Index: 18 out of a possible 50 points (9 size, 9 intensity)
    Max Predicted Hurricane Severity Index: 23 out of a possible 50 points (11 size, 12 intensity)
    Current Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 150 miles
    Max Predicted Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 155 miles
    Organizational Trend: Increasing
    Forecast Confidence: Above Average
    Estimated Central Pressure: 965 mb

Key Points
    1. Delta continues to organize
    2. While there has been a slight east shift to the forecast track, confidence remains high that landfall will occur between Lafayette and Lake Charles.
    3. Delta will produce heavy rainfall, destructive winds, and tidal surge impacts to the northern Gulf Coast.

Our Forecast
    Delta continues to organize. While the maximum winds have not yet increased, the pressure has fallen. An eye is also becoming visible at times on satellite imagery. We still expect that Delta will become a category 3 hurricane tonight and peak with 120 mph winds tomorrow morning. Thereafter, a weakening trend should begin as wind shear increases. Winds are forecast to be 105 mph at landfall. There is some uncertainty with this intensity forecast. Winds could be anywhere from 85 mph to 120 mph at landfall. Delta may expand a little in size as it approaches the coast. Any increase in the size will increase the tidal surge threat.

Delta is moving a bit slower than earlier which is often the sign of an impending turn. We expect a more northward motion to begin tonight. A turn to the north-northeast is expected tomorrow morning. The model guidance this afternoon has shifted slightly to the east. Our forecast also made about a 5 mile to 10 mile eastward shift. Landfall is highly likely to occur between Lake Charles and Lafayette early tomorrow evening. After landfall, a motion to the northeast is expected.

In addition to the winds and tidal surges, isolated tornadoes could occur, along with inland flooding.

Expected Impacts On Land
    Northern Gulf Coast: Significant damage from the wind and tidal surge is expected. Long lasting power outages should occur. Inland flooding could also occur due to heavy rainfall.

Expected Impacts Offshore
    Central Gulf of Mexico: Squalls continue to increase in intensity over the deepwater lease areas as Delta approaches. Heavy squalls will move into the coastal lease areas tomorrow morning.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

Well ****.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Dodged another buzzsaw.

Hurricane Delta Advisory 22

Valid: 09:00 AM CDT Friday October 09, 2020

[​IMG]

Current Location: 27.9N, 93.7W
    Geographic Reference: 135 miles south of Cameron, LA
    Movement: North at 13 mph
    Max Winds: 110 mph gusting to 130 mph
    Current Hurricane Severity Index: 20 out of a possible 50 points (10 size, 10 intensity)
    Max Predicted Hurricane Severity Index: 20 out of a possible 50 points (10 size, 10 intensity)
    Current Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 155 miles
    Max Predicted Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 155 miles
    Organizational Trend: Decreasing
    Forecast Confidence: Above Average
    Estimated Central Pressure: 960 mb

Key Points
    1. Delta is weakening
    2. Landfall will occur later today between Lake Charles and Lafayette.
    3. Delta will produce heavy rainfall, destructive winds, and tidal surge impacts to the northern Gulf Coast.

Our Forecast
    Delta is weakening. Aircraft data indicate that the pressure is rising and the winds are a bit lower. Since the wind shear will be increasing, further weakening is expected before landfall. Our forecast is for winds to be 100 mph at landfall. The forecast Hurricane Severity Index value at landfall is 15 out of 50 points, consisting of 7 size points and 8 intensity points. We cannot rule out Delta being slightly weaker than forecast. Regardless of the landfall intensity, a damaging tidal surge is expected near and east of where the center makes landfall.

Delta is moving to the north this morning as per the latest aircraft and radar center fixes. A turn to the north-northeast should soon occur. We expect that this motion will continue until landfall later today. Landfall is expected to occur between Lafayette and Lake Charles, a little east of where Laura made landfall in August.

Conditions will deteriorate over the upper Texas Coast through the early afternoon hours. Conditions are also starting to deteriorate over Louisiana. The worst of the weather is expected late this afternoon and this evening as landfall occurs. The strongest winds are expected to occur east of where the eye makes landfall.

After landfall, Delta will be rapidly weakening as it moves through Louisiana and into Mississippi. However, heavy rainfall and isolated tornadoes will be possible along the path of the storm.

Expected Impacts On Land
    Northern Gulf Coast:
    Significant damage from the wind and tidal surge is expected. Long lasting power outages should occur. Inland flooding could also occur due to heavy rainfall.

Expected Impacts Offshore
    Northwest Gulf of Mexico:
    Hurricane conditions are affecting the offshore lease areas. Conditions will improve tonight once Delta moves inland and weakens.

[​IMG]

#884 Xerobull, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Joshfast likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Another year where we dodge another bullet. If I'm a gambling man I go ahead and take my chips off the table. We're looking at houses in San Antonio.

B-Bob and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Xerobull

Katy will be beachfront in 50 years. (kidding)(I hope)

#886 Xerobull, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  7. Outlier

Outlier Member

So that was the last tornado for the year?

8. Xerobull

No way, son. We need to go through the Greek alphabet so Cat 6 Hurricane Omega can smack DC on November 3.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I live in the Woodlands and the worst we get here is heavy rain and power outages. The water drains to the gulf course so that helps

10. Xerobull

Delta landfall live video from LA

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

It is windy.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Someone should use the sounds of his wipers in a track on an LP.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"This is Jim Cantore here in Cameron. The wind is really picking up. As you can see oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..........................."

"Um, looks like we lost the feed there. Jim? Jim? I think we might have lost Jim, too."

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Why do they send reporters out there? (Not talking about Cantore or Storm Chasers but you know, like the local news)

"We advise you do not go out! Stay off the roads! Turn around, don't drown!" ... "[News] Let's check in with Bob live in Lake Charles. How's it looking out there Bob? (as it's raining sideways & TS/H force winds)"

Also another random question: why do weather maps resemble that of a penis? :D:rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

King1 and Xerobull like this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Those in Grogan’s Point, Timberlakes, and all the areas within reach of Spring Creek wouldn’t say “all we get is heavy rain.” No, we don’t get the wind damage but there was a ton of damage done by Harvey and the other major flooding events of the last few years.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I found the meth lab. It was over in Lafeyette. I made a video from the fligh-over data

And I think it's somehow connected to this

[​IMG]

#896 heypartner, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  17. Xerobull

You might see a total loss. I see 'Artist's Dream! Uniquely Angled Mobile Home For Sale!'

Deckard likes this.
  18. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Up next Epsilon and maybe something in the Caribbean (only 10% probability yet)...

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member