1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020-21: Power Foward and Center Positions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Either would be an excellent addition.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

From what I've seen on here Covington has been thrown around in various trade scenarios which is pretty confusing to me but I digress.

I think you're underselling the market for Grant. Sure I'd love to have him but 3 years 16 million is lowballing, even in a summer where teams are potentially facing a smaller salary cap. The other wrinkle in your proposal is the dude has a player option of more than $9 million for next year so why is he going to take signficantly less money this summer when he can opt in at $9+ and test free agent next summer? Denver can afford to bring back 2 out of the three in Grant, Millsap and Plumlee if they wanted to and still be under the luxury tax threshold.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

4. Nook

Nook Member

Also moving on from Covington would be a huge mistake......... he is a very good player and a perfect fit.

5. mightybosstone

Harden and Covington are the only guys the Rockets should consider untouchable. I'd move everyone else in a heartbeat to improve the roster.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

Agreed. Sure, our owner might not want to spend money to keep him when RoCo hits free agency in the summer of 2022 but until then he won't (or shouldn't) get traded. If/when PJ leaves this team either through free agency or via trade Covington is the best/last front court defensive player we'll have

D-rock likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

C remains our biggest concern, but I was wondering if Dennis Smith at 4 M + could be a better backup than Rivers for Russ.
    @ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. saleem

steddinotayto likes this.
  9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

If we got Christian Wood and Nerlans Noel we are back in the game again. I baka will command big time money. From what I here the Warriors are trying to get him

10. steddinotayto

But he's not a free agent? If we want to move on from Rivers and he wanted to opt out of his player option, I'd try to sign Jeff Teague to the vet minimum. He's older but I'm thinking he can give his team 10-12 minutes a night as a backup.

saleem likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

The most GSW can offer, IIRC, is the ~$9 million in the form of the non taxpayer MLE. If that's the big time money you're referring to then yea I can see how GSW can be attractive to Ibaka.

saleem likes this.
  12. saleem

That’s all right with me, if Rivers decides to leave.

13. steddinotayto

I didn't think Rivers leaving would have been a possibility given his cushy role here but with that clip of him being openly critical of small ball (which I think he has a right to be) I don't know if he still wants to be on this team. He wouldn't be the worst back up guard to have but if he left I wouldn't be sad.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-would-prefer-to-remain-in-denver-per-report/

This is what I went off for the contract numbers. I won't pretend like I know Denver's roster well enough to go too deep but maybe letting Grant and Plumlee go, getting a decent return and a ton of cap space they could go sign a few other players. I guess it would be a win-now move to trade for PJ who is probably the best defender mentioned so far.

Thanks for crushing my dream lol

15. saleem

I agree with your points, but I will be sad if he leaves Houston. He has matured, I like him.

16. steddinotayto

LOL

Well if he's expected to opt out of a deal that would pay him $9 million I can't really see him take a 3 year / $16 million contract, especially if it's to help Denver get PJ in return via S&T.

At this point Denver has an embarrassment of riches in young talent--Jokic, Murray taking the Leap in the bubble, MPJ, Bol Bol might actually be a decent role player and they still have Will Barton. Adding PJ won't really move the needle for them but retaining Grant at a palatable contract would.

For me, moving PJ would be trading him to a team that showed little fight during the playoffs like the Mavericks or the Bucks or the Celtics where a dog like Tucker would do wonders for the team. Or even to replace Jae Crowder in Miami. That's the type of market PJ has. The caveat is what would be a good return from those types of teams if we offered PJ up? Seth Curry (we would finally have a legit 3 point shooter)? Daniel Theis (he'd be our starting center)? George Hill (legit 3 ball shooter and back up PG)?

saleem likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

I like him too and I agree he has matured while he's been on this team. He knows his role in the NBA a whole lot better now. That being said, maybe there's not going to be enough money around the league come free agency and he'll opt in on the last year of his deal and stay?

18. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

pay tax to get k love and cousins

Rocket River and steddinotayto like this.
  19. saleem

Cousins, maybe if he has recovered completely. K Love , no thanks.

AroundTheWorld and steddinotayto like this.
  20. steddinotayto

I can honestly see this play out, where Cousins take a cheap 2 year deal with a player option on the 2nd year to be our starting center, play his ass off, perform well, and parlay that to a bigger contract. Like it's become a no brainer at this point in terms of fit and need.

joshuaao and saleem like this.