1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Leslie "Scott Fosters" Stahl being unfair to Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I viewed some of the clips. Seems like normal interview questions to me-- nothing that Chris Wallace or a normal voter at a townhall wouldn't ask him. Sounds like he was just irritated in general (maybe over him trailing in the polls, maybe because media are not picking up the "Hunters laptops" stuff as much as he would like) and threw a tantrum.

Deckard, joshuaao, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Trump doesn't like getting asked tough questions. Even worse if they are coming from a woman or a non-white person.

3. adoo

adoo Member

if u can't take the heat,
    stay out of the kitchen​

seemoreroyals likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He should have released it an hour before it was to air in order to see how quick those editors can work.

5. foh

foh Member

Her first follow up was "you know that's not true, right?" - it was about the economy being "best ever". That appeared to be weirdly posed and with an agenda behind it. She should've brought up a specific counter, especially considering that this is Trump's go to rhetoric. I don't know what Chris Wallace would ask and I don't watch 60 minutes, but that sounds like a biased follow up to me. You have to give Trump credit - he can read the room and knows how to save face. That said I'd have to watch the whole thing to form a complete opinion.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Serious?

No Worries likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is most scared of little old ladies.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Compare my full, flowing and “magnificently brilliant” answers to their “Q’s”.

Is this his real account?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is the biggest snowflake of them all

VooDooPope, Blatz, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If it is true, then it is up to him to provide the stats backing his claim up and refute her claim-- quite easily if she does not have the evidence at hand. A competent President would have handled the question easily.

Remember when Jonathan Swan interviewed him and questioned his claims on the COVID numbers? He had his staff bring info backing up his claim (rather BS numbers, but still...) he didn't have to throw a tantrum.

#10 Carl Herrera, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To me the bigger question is does anyone in his campaign staff other than Don Jr. actually think doing this helps him?

Newlin, Nook, FranchiseBlade and 4 others like this.
  12. foh

foh Member

He did that and then went into his petulant mode. Who is to say that his petulant, media is FAKE mode hasn't been working for him? He needs to energize his base and put media on defensive so that they don't publish a bunch of Trump has no chance articles that doom political campaigns.

This is a battle of perceptions and I just made an argument that you don't have a clear cut case here.

13. foh

foh Member

Nice avatar btw! :)

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What do you mean? Is 60 minutes known for editing interviews to fit an agenda? 60 minutes doesn't need to edit Trump interviews to make him look stupid. His lack of intelectual curiosity does that for him.

#14 fchowd0311, Oct 22, 2020
    Jayzers_100, DVauthrin, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The media has tradionally been bad with handling Trump's claim that "the economy was the best ever" before COVID and that's because the media is also attached to regurgitating gdp growth, stock market and unemployment rates as the sole indicators of a healthy economy rather than caring about the median citizen.

The media is also complicit in allowing the past 40 year trend of the median household racking up debt. The media was praising the economy just a couple of years before the subprime mortgage crash just because gdp growth and the unemployment rate was decent.

Sorry, an off topic rant but kinda relevant I guess here.

#15 fchowd0311, Oct 22, 2020
    Amiga and foh like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How does this put the media on the defensive? It wasn't like R Kelly came off better because he flipped out and stormed off his 60 Minutes interview.

If the idea was that they thought 60 Minutes was going to edit it to put him the worst light 60 minutes frequently makes whole interviews available on online.

17. foh

foh Member

The tweet that Carl posted had 100K likes. So to 100K people Trump is correct in accusing 60 minutes of bias. Astrodome above seems to also think it puts media on the defensive. Media is about ratings and so if lots of people think Trump is in the right here, then media can be construed to be on the defensive imho.

Again, I just thought, the journalist in question could do better than to start with "get ready for tough questions" and then follow that up with "you know this is not true, right?" type of statement. This just seemed combative and lacking in substance and I just wanted to mention that to the OP.

If my opinion is in the minority, that's ok - I'm open to other arguments. Trump wants the media to ask Biden about the Hunter affair - he may be getting his wish tonight at the debate thanks to his antics and accusations and the fact that these antics resonate with his base.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Was it anything like this? This was one day after the New Zealand election. Final interview with a losing candidate. We need more journalist like this. Snowflakes can stay away.

American's Journalists in comparison are weak and politicians too easily can say whatever without being checked. Then there are the special snowflakes that cry foul with basic questions.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Trump is a whiny b****. He wilts like a flower and throws a tantrum whenever he faces any sort of adversity.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trump continually whines about not getting any softball questions. It seems good to be told beforehand that he would get tough questions.

Did Stahl ask any unfair questions of him? I didn't see/hear any.

FranchiseBlade and Nook like this.