1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do Houstonians like money more than politics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s3ts, Oct 19, 2020.

?

I'm a Houstonian, and I support DNC while working in O&G because...

Poll closed Dec 14, 2020.
  1. I need a job

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I act like a left-wing supporter and get by socially like this

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My job is not as important as the reasons why I support DNC

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Republican pigs piss me off

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Who says I support the DNC?

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Please explain.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Please put [movie] in the title.

tinman likes this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member

repug desperation posting dd threads outside dd..

concern troll is concerned .. and donny jr just made another video about hunter bidens nepotism..

( I cant wait until this is all over)

TWS1986 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I am not going to get it to that. It's not black/white, there are many reasons. I don't however believe the DNC benefits those groups as much as they would be led to believe.

Just to be clear, I have no interest in participating in a back and forth on this. So from here I will disengage.

s3ts likes this.
  6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think let's get back to the core conversation, which is why Houston O&G vote blue despite the DNC's positions on the industry. I think there's probably 4 camps;
    • Energy professional can transfer skills easily and may not even need to retrain at all (engineers, construction workers, and project managers)
    • Support organizations whose skillset is more universal (IT, reporting, accounting, and etc.)
    • Those in the O&G that can actually gain from increased regulations (internal audit, process management, O&G consultants)
    • Those who care more about the overall DNC positions than their jobs
    Given Houston is largely back office work, there's probably quite a bit of those folks. I still think more people are voting Republican than Democrat in O&G, but there's probably a decent cross section of those 4 types in Houston O&G. Rest of the Houston might vote more blue.

I do think if you go more towards field work (like in Odessa), things will shade much more red.
    Also, please move to D&D.

s3ts, TWS1986, Outlier and 1 other person like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to answer the main question, of course i like more money than more politics
    politics
    they don't take politics at the popeye's drive thru

STR8Thugg and s3ts like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

STR8Thugg likes this.
  9. Outlier

Outlier Member

This. I think people clinging onto energy are way too paranoid about losing their jobs and money when businesses will always make a way to make other types of jobs even when O&G is reduced.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

It wouldn't be fair to just discount the concerns. If you're in the final phases of your career and your total professional experience is in one industry, it's not as easy to say just pivot.

s3ts and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is "fracking" a real thing or a non-industry political word?

I've seen this phenomenon go both ways in Houston. I watched construction & home service companies vote for Trump and tighter border restrictions in 2016, even though they rely on people from Mexico to do the labor for minimum wage to make margin. Cost of labor eventually did go up and it became harder to recruit.

s3ts, TWS1986 and jiggyfly like this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

I find the hypocrisy there pretty prevalent among the conservative business owners who clearly use illegal immigrants.

Any cop can walk into Houston restaurants, go to the back, and find at least one illegal immigrant.

Really, the humanitarian position would be to enable large legal immigration, but allow them the high-paying jobs instead of pushing them into manual labor.

13. s3ts

s3ts Member

First, learn to have a civil discourse. What the **** is your problem? I'm asking an honest question, looking for real answers from people who take specific stances. This was originally about O&G and political positions, and you've done nothing but talk about guns, and challenge my knowledge on partisanship. Yeah, you do vote for candidates, but the DNC picks those candidates, and a lot of people still do vote straight-ticket. I really don't know what you're challenging.

I also never told people what they believe. This is what happens -- Houston votes blue, and Houston is the center of the energy industry of USA. Both are true (you're welcome to refute this if you want), and I'm trying to figure out WHY that is. You're over here bringing absolutely NOTHING to that conversation. If you want to say you decided to vote blue because of other policy prescriptions that you like, then say it instead of trying to predict my political stances and trying to offend people for being offended yourself.

You should try to google what "moderate" is when it comes to politics. It's not simply populist. You mentioning statistics does nothing for me, Democrats consistently win all the popular votes and all of what you say are aligning to that effect.

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm trying to figure out why you're mentioning fracking in the context of minimum wage labor from Mexico, though.

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

The interesting thing about those thoughts, however -- anytime there were downturns in O&G, all of those jobs you mentioned were consistently part of layoffs. Accounting positions in O&G are very small in number, they can contract out and staff people from a Big 4 and during downturns they get staffed on other projects. IT positions are easy to cut and contract out -- I've seen this happen in my own companies I've worked in.

I've since transferred out of O&G, moved out of the city, still maintain a pretty moderate political stance, but can never figure out the Houstonians who work in O&G and vote blue. I've met quite a few Democrats who worked in O&G that got axed the past few months due to O&G COVID downturn. It seems they're consistently more concerned with other political issues than Houston. This isn't an unreasonable position, you may want to put country ahead of your city or state. What I'm afraid, though, is that Houston has quite a few challenges ahead of it outside of just what kind of companies exist in the city. It has to attract other companies to invest into the city, etc., and help it continue to grow. More importantly it actually has to appeal to younger demographics. Otherwise, the city is going to stay stagnant. Out of the big cities ranked by population in metropolitan areas, Houston is likely the least attractive city, and that's a huge problem for the demographic and companies Houston wants to attract.

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Do Houstonians Like Fast Food More Than Sitting In Traffic?

jiggyfly, TWS1986 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Shifting gears to make a more Hangout worthy post, please do yourself a favor and go read the tweets from Nihilist Arby’s. Clearly it changed hands and stopped being funny about a year ago but the older tweets from like 2018 are amazingly funny.

TWS1986 and tinman like this.
  18. s3ts

s3ts Member

For those of you thinking about the Houston's demographics in relation to economy, here's a Professor from Rice discussing Houston in-depth.

It's a fascinating thought process being presented here.

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

@Jontro @Os Trigonum @RayRay10

Go to a strip club and after 2 dances give her a Joe Biden sticker instead of some jeffersons

see what happens

Jontro likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Go to Club Onyx and tell Destiny you don't have money and you'd rather give her advice about police reform

see what happens
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.