1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Morey Walk Away From 8 Million Dollars?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Morey is too smart to resign and give up the 8 million dollars remaining on his contract. What gives??? We all know Tilman is too cheap to pay out the remainder of Morey’s salary if he isn’t employed. Did the NBA do an under the table deal to please China??? If so, this needs media attention as it would basically be the NBA removing an American and paying him off to placate a foreign adversary.

snowconeman22 and s3ts like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey agreed to a 5-year extension in March of 2019 at $8M/yr, so he walked away from $32M by my calculations.

Regardless, Morey's smart enough to know he can make big money as a consultant in many different areas, so it's not like he'll earn nothing at all during those years. Besides, it doesn't take a genius to know how working for a cheap a*hole can grind down your spirit day after day.

TL;DR: Not having Tilman Fertitta telling you what to do and ruining your professional reputation is worth at least 32 million dollars.

#2 topfive, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup morey's 5 year extension was done March 2019. Reportedly earned $8 mil/per season after his extension. Most of us know the real reason he's gone. All that stuff about family etc is pure bs. Nothing but a lie to help save face for the reason he's gone. As if a year ago, he didn't know a year later all of a sudden I shouldn't have signed a 5 year extension or my family would stop suddenly aging lol

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, I did some research and changed my post. And I agree, it's all BS. Tilman was screwing up Morey's brand, so it was time to GTFO.

DaDakota, D-rock, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

So he walked away from $32,000,000.00? No way.....something wayyy more to this story. Tilman should be a politician b/c everything that comes out of his mouth is a stinking lie!

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

maurley finna cut some posse members loose after losing 32 mil

Lawlruschang and topfive like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wasn't that contract heavily incentive loaded. like for every dollar of tax Tilman pays, Morey forfeits. :D

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't care what Morey thinks he can do in his free time, no one intelligent walks away from $32 million dollars guaranteed.

BallSoHarden, Imanimal and BigShasta like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he can because he'll have no problem getting another job. the real suckers are the ones still having to deal with this shitty ownership. people that just think money=happiness are the sadly mistaken

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tim MacMahon made a statement that Morey is still getting some payment even after walking away. It was on the Lowe Pod with MacMahon. Made it sound like Morey got a golden parachute.

Nook, rockbox, BallSoHarden and 2 others like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Holy ****ing ****. These basketball players on 100 million deals make a big deal about that much. What a legend, a lot of principles you have to ascribe to

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Also, Morey is already rich as hell. And do any of us believe a guy like Morey won't know how to manage his money? He'll be beyond okay if he never earns another dime in his life.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I know he's staying on as a consultant for an unspecified period.

My guess is that Daryl gave Tilman an iPad with a spreadsheet...

Daryl: "Look at this: I'll agree to work a few hours a month as a consultant for just half the salary of my remaining contract. That'll save you $4M/yr for the next 4 years. Then you promote Rafael to GM at, say, $2M/yr. That means you'd be saving $2M every year, for a total of $8M in savings!"

Tilman: "Savings of $8M? I'm in!"

#13 topfive, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  14. rockets13champs

I don’t think money is the issue for Morey. If he is going for a GM job teams will pay him tons of money. He didn’t lose any money. Just the 0 salary for 2021 that’s it

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Guarantee he won't find another job that is making 8 million a year. Very few jobs in the world pay $8 million a year. NBA GM was one of them and I doubt that he will get hired as a GM again, due to the China issue. I don't think any team will touch him because other teams will get mad. Any venture that Morey decides to pursue that might be as lucrative as the NBA contract he walked away from will carry with it some form of risk.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If rumors were true, then Morey was going to leave even more on the table.

He was thinking about giving up last season as well.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

gurantee it isn't bothering him, especially with all the money he's made in the past decade plus. lets not act like morey's lifestyle is like many of the lavish nba players. it isn't and not even close. his idea of a great time is a ping pong match in basic shorts and t.

dude's seats at toyota center isn't even courtside. it's behind the rockets bench in the club section a few rows up

Lawlruschang and topfive like this.
  18. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I think that Morey is "voluntarily" leaving the Rockets in order to appease China, at the polite urges of the NBA. Tillman will get his China money back, or at least salvaged the spigot. Even if he has to pay Morey the full $32 mill, he's presumably still going to have a net gain from the China money.

___

Where I honestly could go full conspiracy is where there's the chance that Morey is still going to effectively be the GM at a distance -- a "consultant" to Eli Witus. Even Fertitta joked about calling up Morey in the future.

For those who find it curious that Rafael Stone, the team's general counsel, becoming EVP and GM, perhaps he's the conduit between the team (Witus/Fertitta) and Morey in order to make sure some sort of NBA/China-appeasing consultancy is done "by the book".

Lawlruschang and sushimaster like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

wait people actually think morey is going to be in the cut and still be some kind of advisor for the rockets that Tilman is just going to call up? lmao give me a break. morey is long gone and deleted tilman's number. stop it. he's going to be sitting back and watching this disaster continue to blow up just like the rest of us

fattz likes this.
  20. Sanity2disChaos

Texans should take a look at Morey.....

s3ts and Bo6 like this.