1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Harden demanded Westbrook stay, which one of the following would you agree with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Oct 19, 2020.

?

What would you do?

1. I’d trade Harden. It might not be worth it to keep Westbrook.

45.5%
  2. We owe Harden, listen to him.

43.8%
  3. Take the second pick and other, non-core, players from Golden State. then draft Killian Hayes.

3.3%
  4. Same as above, but take Lamelo Ball.

5.0%
  5. Take the pick and get someone else with the second pick.

2.5%
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

If we'd have done that, this entire forum would likely be censored in no time.

2. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

It’s fine that you believe that this team can win with Westbrook, but I’d bet you’re in the minority, as the poll reflects thus far. There is a purpose for the choices by the way, I wouldn’t want Ball, but I would want Hayes. Other people might want other players and that’s an option there, too. What’s wrong with wanting a more granular view of what people here think? I’ve seen that a number of people here would have interest in Ball. I like Hayes. I wanted to see if I was in the minority. You don’t have to select any of the options if you don’t like, but this question was exactly what I wanted to know. Is it not listening to him if Tillman was in fact eager to move Westbrook before Harden intervened? I don’t know if that happened but I did want to know what people here thought. If I wanted to trade him with certainty you would have seen exactly that post. I don’t really know if that situation actually happened, but if it did, I would move him. There is a distinction. I don’t see Hayes as equal value, but I do see a player like that as being an opportunity to make the most of the situation. Especially if Westbrook was his (Harden’s) decision in the first place. So, you know where I stand. You feel otherwise, and I’m glad that I know that now. That was the purpose of this post. I’m not going to attack your opinions and will instead simply disagree. Thank you for sharing your opinions. I have enjoyed you posting your thoughts over the years and will continue to do so.

3. jevjnd

That is the question isn’t it? In a sense, the rebuild may have already started if the window is gone. I think that Westbrook has the most value to us because of the picks and pick swaps we traded away. He can buy us some wins if we needed that. I just don’t think we could get anything that wouldn’t be negative value back for him.

4. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Voted to keep Harden, but not for the poll reason. Ride out his talent, just be creative and intelligent with whom he should be partnered with (coaches, teammates).

D-rock and jevjnd like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Too early to trade him, but that point is coming soon (2-3 years).

6. jevjnd

He’s still a transcendent talent. I’m curious, how heavily would you continue taking Harden’s input into who that should be? Some people seem to say good things about Rafael Stone. How good of a successor do you think he’ll be? I felt that Morey was one of the best to ever do it, and if Morey was responsible in any way for Stone being a part of the organization, that counts for a lot for me. I’m glad that you participated in the poll and added some discussion. Thank you.

D-rock likes this.
  7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

There a long stream of 'the next xxx' players. Almost none of them ever are.

8. verysimplejason

Would you? Rebuilding does not mean mediocrity. You just have to convert Harden and Westbrook to good, wise decisions. That's why you need a good GM and coach. Just look at where Brooklyn is now. Rockets is in much better position than Brooklyn years ago.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

OP wants to see a Curry / Harden / Thompson / Green superteam.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is what it looks like to be scratching the surface as a fan especially in this Covid time, I didn't bother to research.

I had no idea who Rafa Stone was or Eli Witus before.

Unknown after unknown...... at least the frustration and initial shock seemed to fade from the Morey saga.

And I have no idea about those draftees, no idea who Ball or Hayes are as players but do keep Lavar and his sons away from the franchise.

jevjnd likes this.
  11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Most of the time, particularly in the NBA, it does. You don't get value back (how can you when you trade a superstar?). So, you are taking steps backward. Then, you have to strike it rich in the draft. Philly has been trying that for almost a decade now, with a whole slew of very high level picks, and where are they at? Same place Rockets are (ie, at the blowup stage, apparently). Everyone likes to assume building a team is easy, and it isn't. If it WERE easy, everyone would be a title contender, wouldn't they? When you rebuild, you start a process, and that process takes years to work through, and even then may not end up where you want to be. That's just reality. Everyone is free to wish for something else, but hope isn't really a plan. You MAY get lucky and accelerate it (like the Mavs did with Doncic), but those are unicorns. Lots of donkeys out there people think are unicorns. maybe some of them are even decent horses. But they aren't the transcendent talents you need to get to the championship. When you have one of those, and get rid of him, you're back to looking for unicorns.

pahiyas likes this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

13. jevjnd

I agree with you about the Ball family. I don’t think we’re going to have the same front office or player experience whenever we rebuild. That’s what I was wondering with the poll. I don’t see a way to win a championship for the organization. Some disagree, but I don’t see it with all these unknowns. I’m willing to not be pessimistic, but I don’t see a championship for Harden in Houston. I do think that Hayes is a special player and is an opportunity that won’t be there in the future. It’s possible that he doesn’t become a great player, but if he does, that might be worth more than riding this current situation out. I think that if we don’t do something soon, things will get really ugly with this lack of picks. I also think that it’s a real possibility that Harden won’t resign. The front office should have a good feel for this. If those feelings are shared by the front office, why not take this opportunity now, while he’s still great?

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I wouldn't be ready to look James Harden in the eyes and tell him to his face he's no longer a Rocket. Could you do it?

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why would you do it is better question.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

jevjnd, BigDog63 and BigggReddd like this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

We need to do what is best for the Rockets and not one player on the team. If there is a deal that moves us forward then do it if not run it back.

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I don't believe there's many avenues to improving this team but ditching your superstar in his prime is not it, fam. Give it AT LEAST one more season, especially if Beard wants it here in H-Town.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

no chance harden and westbrick win a title together. they won't even get close

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I say keep Harden and make it work with WB...

I'm betting JVG could make it work...

20. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

IDGAF if we keep WB, I think the dude can be great again if he’s coached by an X’s and O’s guy that will put him in positions to succeed. Problem with MDA and WB is that WB can’t shoot and MDA offense needs guys that can shoot. MDA refused to adjust according to his roster and always just said that he’s not going to make Russ change who he is, basically just rolled the ball out there and see what happens.
    If Tilman and co. can somehow put a roster around WB and Harden that includes an actual big and actual shooters I think this team becomes interesting. Can’t go into next season thinking this small ball BS is going to work for 82 games, nevertheless, the PO.
    We definitely need to trade Gordon for a solid big that can stretch the floor. Gordon is just so awful during the regular season and so inconsistent in the PO. I think the only guys you bring back is Jeff Green and extend PJ. Austin Rivers can go along with every other guy that’s not under contract for next season. You can go into the season with

Westbrook/ (FA PG)
    Harden/ David Nwaba
    RoCo/ House
    PJ/ Green
    (A legit starting big)/ FA stretch 5

And a solid coach to make it all work.