1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do Houstonians like money more than politics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s3ts, Oct 19, 2020.

?

I'm a Houstonian, and I support DNC while working in O&G because...

Poll closed Dec 14, 2020.
  1. I need a job

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I act like a left-wing supporter and get by socially like this

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My job is not as important as the reasons why I support DNC

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Republican pigs piss me off

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Who says I support the DNC?

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do people make fun of you at meetings?

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

No, I've seen plenty of assholes that do, though, and you fall into that category of behavior.

I'm the guy that asks that *******, "Hey, ___, did you have something to add?"

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm the guy at meetings who asks, "why couldn't this just have been an email?" and then lies about another meeting I have to attend so I can go sit on the toilet.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Majority of the platform have been gun control (more background checks, more license and registration). All things I'm cool with. When I first bought a gun, I had limited experience on using one (fired a friend's gun at a gun range) and was surprised how easy it was to get it (quick background check and here you go). I also found myself like a kid in a toy store once the online background check passed. "Hey I can other guns now too right? Is that terminator movie looking shotgun? Sweet, so how do we load and shoot a shotgun? Whoa, those look like machine guns, oh low recoil, wow maybe that will be good for the wife since I'm not sure she likes the kick of a 9mm hand gun..." Had to check myself and be like "let's figure out how to be responsible gun owners before I start buying a damn armory lol". Left the store with only two guns.... self control :). While it was kind of cool how frictionless the experience was, also did seem a little too easy. You need like 4 documented dives to dive by yourself (and diving centers won't let you dive without certification) but just need to be 21 and passed a background check to get a gun in any gun store. It did make me go hmmm.

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/the-issues/preventing-gun-violence/
    "We believe we should expand and strengthen background checks for those who want to purchase a firearm – because it shouldn’t be easier to get a gun than a driver’s license."

This is DNC position on guns, I'm not losing sleep over it.

In regards to oil and gas, not in the industry but here's the view I have.

vox.com/2020/8/19/21375039/dnc-2020-democrats-platform-climate-change-fossil-fuel-subsidies
    https://democrats.org/where-we-stan...te-crisis-and-pursuing-environmental-justice/

They dropped the “Democrats support eliminating tax breaks and subsidies for fossil fuels, and will fight to defend and extend tax incentives for energy efficiency and clean energy.” and I don't have too much issue with the remaining positions.

"We will hold fossil fuel companies accountable for cleaning up abandoned mine lands, oil and gas wells", " We support banning new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters, modifying royalties to account for climate costs, and establishing targeted programs to enhance reforestation and develop renewables on federal lands and waters. "

I don't think they'll kill the oil companies. Will they increase taxes, heavy handed incentive to develop and pivot to another energies, increased regulation? Maybe. Companies will have to adapt and evolve, but once again, not enough for it to be a single issue vote. In fact, depending on department of OG you work, it could mean more opportunities. For example, in banking when CFPB started, a lot of banks had to stand up teams to handle increased regulation, stress test and etc.

#24 wizkid83, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    ElPigto and s3ts like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He’s the other guy, the guy who knows when someone is full of crap.

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

NOPE. Based on nothing but assumptions, which makes the both of you douchebags who has nothing to contribute to this conversation.

Do the work of pointing out what makes you think I'm not a moderate and I might take you seriously. Otherwise, you're as big a joke as you throw.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

You can be a gun owner and dislike the RNA. You can also work in energy and be believe in global warming.

Not sure why people are talking about sandy hook. Santa Fe happened in our backyard.

8. CometsWin

I performed a duck test.

9. Buck Turgidson

Nice work creating your own little fantasy argument to justify the rest of your fantasy thread.

jiggyfly, TWS1986 and superfob like this.
  10. s3ts

s3ts Member

Gun control: More barriers to gun ownership like requiring a license to purchase a gun, an assault weapon ban, red flag laws that allow courts to choose who to keep guns from, etc. I'd say this is pretty straight-forward what the DNC supporters want. I think we should both agree, this is closer to the left-wing position than a moderate one.
    https://www.vox.com/2020/8/20/21377041/joe-biden-gun-violence-plan-dnc-democratic-convention

O&G: NOCs will survive because of government programs. But a great many number of American oil companies will not survive the next year. Houston is clearly at the epicenter of the losses in jobs and bankruptcies from the oil glut. There's absolutely no positive spin about this. Petroleum Engineers, Geologists, Geophysicists, they're all pretty scholarly scientific people who support left-wing causes -- but their future is pretty grim without support of the American people. Oil & Gas jobs don't directly translate to other industries, and they'll be forced to reinvent themselves to work in other industries which are already spread thin for job openings. For the DNC to not print the ideas to a webpage doesn't remove the idea from their platform. DNC supporters want to switch to renewables without doing any proper research of what that would require. The gist of all the DNC supporters' ideas for the renewables transition is to use more government subsidies. This is an incomplete idea, not sympathetic to Houstonians. The other immediate truth is we don't even have food or water at our tables (supply chain) without ICEs on freight shipping. We'd have to stop globalization completely which has a wider range of impact than people's imaginations at this point. The "Paradigm shift" that the left wing wants is only one layer of indirection away from being Anti-Houston.
    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Many-Lost-US-Oil-Jobs-May-Never-Return.html
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aoc-de...-in-oil-prices-you-absolutely-love-to-see-it/

11. s3ts

s3ts Member

Not even gonna read your next reply before ignoring you unless you actually explain yourself.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

You mean NRA? Are you adding anything at all to the discussion by mentioning that you can own a gun and have dislike/apathy for NRA? I'm talking about supporting the DNC in the 2-party system we have, whether that sits on the left-wing or the right-wing spectrum. If you're going to mention relativity in comparison to other countries, I can buy that. Otherwise, you should understand that all I'm trying to do is establish definitions before even having a debate...

I said Sandy Hook and the shootings that followed. I don't know why people just don't freaking read. Is it twitter? Probably. Very little patience.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houstonians support their strip clubs more than they care about politics

got to support our ladies

@Jontro

TWS1986, Jontro and s3ts like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ask a 99er

TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think far left wing don't believe in guns at all period. Right wing wants the status quo despite how much more powerful both guns and ammo tech have became since the 2nd amendment was written. Moderate to me is some where in the middle. It's a spectrum, we can debate how far along any particular view point is but really what's the point.

Regarding OG, you asked about how Houston OG professional can support democrats, and I gave a few view points. If you think the NOC will survive, with the increased regulation, then those in NOC might be voting for their own interest if they support DNC (maybe short term pain, but increased barrier to entry knocks out smaller players, setting up some sweet sweet gains in LTI from having a larger marketshare in the backend).

As far as transition, I'm not qualified to speak on any body's individual experience. I recognize it'll be harder for some than others. I've always thought engineering was less about what you've learned rather than constantly learning to learn but recognize not everyone is trying to reinvent themselves every couple of years.

I agree with Deloittes rationale below, once again, it's going to be harder for some.

"Many of them were already going into renewables, according to industry insiders, notably engineers, construction workers, and project managers, who did not even need retraining or reskilling because their skills were easily transferable to another industry."

"The workers, meanwhile, should take care to acquire the new skills they would need to improve their chances of re-employment in oil and gas, with knowledge in economics, computer networks, and visualization given as examples in this respect."

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm trying to establish a set of definitions here. DNC supports more of a left-wing gun policy than moderate, can we agree on this? I mean, you claim to be a moderate who supports the DNC's gun control policies, but doesn't sound quite like it. It seems to me, you're more progressive than moderate. Today, the conservative thought is further right -- they want to remove the government from gun control as much as possible. For example, removing Gun-Free Zones. As you say the moderate spectrum doesn't matter as much, but it really is worth pointing out that conservatism today has also polarized beyond just keeping policy as-is.

NOCs stand for National Oil Companies. There aren't any American NOCs... American oil companies do collaborate with the federal government and military programs for obvious national interests that align, but yeah, you should read up on what they are.

Seems like not many give a damn about the workers that depend on the O&G industry. That's shitty, though, because, again, a lot of them don't need to be convinced about global warming or the need to transition to cleaner energy sources. I mean... for what little align between left/right, moderates, progressives, etc., I think a lot of us can agree on education. And as a country, we don't really paint a nice picture for the rest of the world to see when we aim to eradicate the professions of these skilled laborers who have PhDs in a core science (Geology, Geophysics, etc.).

I think Houstonians who work in O&G who are very highly educated want to believe that they can get bailed out by the DNC and left-wing folks. Truth is, the party they seem to support hates Houston to the core.

17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

For me, it's not that simple. I'm somewhere between choice 3 and 4. I've actually voted for Republican candidates in the past as well. Then as I got older, my ideals, beliefs, values etc changed and I started voting differently. The RNC has not given me a significant pause to switch back so far.

#37 TWS1986, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    s3ts likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Hate to play the race card, but here it goes...

Look at Houston's population of Hispanics and African Americans.

Both groups tend to vote predominantly blue.

/thread

s3ts and TWS1986 like this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

No, it's absolutely true. I don't know if you guys have ever seen these racial demographic and voting maps. Check it out.

https://bestneighborhood.org/race-in-houston-tx/

https://bestneighborhood.org/conservative-vs-liberal-map-houston-tx/

Now I'm white and lean Democrat, but it's still fascinating.

s3ts and STR8Thugg like this.
  20. CometsWin

Nobody votes for DNC policies, they vote for candidates and their policies. I don't even think you know what the hell the DNC or RNC are really. Maybe you should look that up first before you start telling everyone what they believe.

The fact is most American's views on gun control more closely mirror those of Democrats than Republicans. You've created a fake position and you're asking people to defend the position you created. In this case, 60% of Americans feel laws should be more strict and 11% feel they should be less strict. That's more than a five to one ratio. So you obviously don't have any idea what's "moderate" on gun control. I'm a gun owner but I also think everyone should be required to undergo training, a full background check, and be licensed to carry any gun. As a gun owner with a handgun license I resent the hell out of not being able to take my gun into certain places. Gun free zones are a noble, failed effort made necessary by our lack of common sense gun laws.

tierre_brown and ElPigto like this.