1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quick Fixes Have not worked.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In the last 25 years the Rockets made what IMO quick fix moves

1. The Barkley Trade - One of the worse trades in Rocket history. We literally mortgaged our future to get back to the finals. This lead to the Pippen Signing and the Rocket Future Destroying Pippen Trade.

2. Francis/Cuttino for Tmac Trade - I did not like this trade because we gave up on Francis and Cuttino imo too soon. I know once traded they did not do as much but they were ascending . . TMac was at his peak and would never rise again. That trade cost us the PG and PF we never really replaced. Steve + Cat > TMac. I would have preferred we kept JJ. Allowed the boys to mature - We hated Cato but he was solid next to Yao. We didn't need him to be Duncan. I wanted to see them grow.
    I know many here don't think the trade was a failure but at the end .. . it was lateral at best.
    We never went any further than we did with Steve and Cat. And in those years Steve and Cat lost to the best team we would face in the first round.

I say that to say this
    There is no quick fix out there IMO. I think we have to ride this one out
    I am not mad that Harden/Westbrook would like 1 uninterrupted year and hopefully uninjured year to try again.
    Honestly - giving up after one truncated year is a bit . .. . too wuick maybe
    Esp with the coach being a lame duck.

That said I don't think we can run it back
    Every offense people mention and talk about . .. I start with the question
    When this is happening .. . what is PJ doing?
    I cringe at the thought of PJ with the dribble hand off. . . i dunno why
    PJ Must come off the bench next year. Covington must move to the PF

This means this offseason
    We need
    1. Starting Center
    2. Starting SF
    3. Back up PG
    4. Back up Center

Rocket River

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

no quick fix can help now. we need to be rid of the tillmen virus and do a complete organizational exorcism

LosPollosHermanos and D-rock like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Naw the state we are in was caused by Morey and Harden
    Tilman just looks like the bad guy because he has to clean up the 13 years of morey and harden.

With no results to show for it.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Wait. Did you seriously just suggest the T-Mac trade was a mistake?

You can’t be serious.

The better example of what I think you’re trying to say, regarding quick fix moves, would be the Westbrook trade. One so-so year of CP3 led to our clueless owner forcing DM to make a reckless just-do-something trade for a questionable fit like Westbrook. Overpaying and leveraging future assets in the process. Which, in turn, forced us to leverage more future assets (+CC) to accommodate said questionable fit.

All because we had a bad year #2 with CP3, struck out with LeBron and Jimmy Buckets and because our cheap owner didn’t like CP3’s new contract and felt the need to make a panic move.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

James wanted Russ

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

People forget Chris Paul was looking pretty washed his second year with us. I think it was his pride and anger that caused him to focus enough to come back strong last year.
    Likewise folks tend to forget how good Westbrook looked prior to Covid. Hopefully Westbrook's pride helps him come back strong this next year.

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Rockets will have to trade Eric Gordon into Twolves cap to get any kinda of wiggle room..

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Kind of a rule in life. Sometimes you get lucky, most of the times you get what you pay for.

Highlyrated likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Quick fixes" were responsible for the last 4 NBA titles.

Der Rabbi, glynch, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just trade Westbrook to star-starved New York.

Westbrook for

Randle
    Gibson
    Wayne Ellington
    Dennis Smith Jr.

That group, while not star studded, fills the starting PF, back up center, back up SG, back up PG gaps all at once.

Starting C / Gibson
    Randle / Tucker
    Covington / House
    Gordon / Ellington
    Harden / Smith Jr.

If Harden demands to be traded, we obliged and see $40 million in salaries from the trade above come off the books in the summer of 2021, get whatever we can for Harden and rebuild.

One interesting fact about the picks we owe OKC is that they're all top 4 protected. If there was ever a time to blow it up and tank it might be now or very soon.

This is all coming from a fan that's ready to move on from the Harden era because the dumbass owner of the Rockets already closed the window of opportunity.

Highlyrated likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Which 1 of Tilman’s sons are u?

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

If Tilman isn't cheap and try to avoid luxury tax. We still have Hartenstein and Clark. Who can play backup C/PF/SF spot min. I wonder if we can get a starting C/PF/SF by trading Gordon.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Do you think they will agree to send back a couple of second rounders for EG?

Highlyrated likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you consider the Drexler trade as quick fix?

What about CP3 trade?

I think Lakers are pretty happy with their AD quick fix trade.

glynch and baller4life315 like this.
  15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

The Lakers won like they usually do. Poach a great player from somewhere else. Not sure what quick fix you are referring to.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is exactly what OP is defining as a quick fix.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They went from going 37-45 in 2018/2019 to winning it all this year by "quick fixing" a trade to get Anthony Davis. I mean...how much quicker do you want it to be?

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and D-rock like this.
  18. homewight

Then the OP doesn't know what a quick fix is. Signing someone from the D-league is a quick fix. Trading for Anthony Davis is a foundational change that required a lot of time and effort.

D-rock likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And their Finals opponent also got there on a Quick Fix.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX, tinman and D-rock like this.
  20. homewight

And it took even more time and effort behind the scenes for Lebron Cuntface to illegally recruit him.