1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Harden demanded Westbrook stay, which one of the following would you agree with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Oct 19, 2020.

?

What would you do?

1. I’d trade Harden. It might not be worth it to keep Westbrook.

45.5%
  2. We owe Harden, listen to him.

43.8%
  3. Take the second pick and other, non-core, players from Golden State. then draft Killian Hayes.

3.3%
  4. Same as above, but take Lamelo Ball.

5.0%
  5. Take the pick and get someone else with the second pick.

2.5%
  1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Please share your thoughts below.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

My thoughts:

I wish Les Alexander had kept the team.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dig trivias.

Listen to Harden 1x time and 1x year, if he can't get to the Finals, axe WB and put James in a box where he can't be heard.

I hope there is a Covid vaccine and a better draft next year

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Just as a player shouldn't feel an obligation to a certain team, a team shouldn't feel an obligation to a certain player. Especially when that player hasn't brought the franchise a title.

This isn't the case of LeBron and Cleveland. When LeBron won that title in 2016, he could probably demand anything and get away with it. And the front office would listen.

Harden already wanted Westbrook here and we got him. We've already listened to him and it didn't work out. And we didn't even deal with Golden State in the postseason.

I voted trade Harden. His value will never be as high as it is right now.

5. verysimplejason

Just get rid of the both of them. There'll be no finals with them here. Start anew. There's no shame in that. Don't prolong the suffering of the Rockets fans.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Might work out, but you realize it might take a decade? Look, for example, at Philly and 'the process'. They've had a whole slew of number 1 picks to use to build from, and what have they won? In a lesser conference? Nothing.

Not sure how years of mediocrity is not actually prolonging the suffering? Unless you're just saying blow it up, so we stop expecting anything?

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

The available answers don't have anything that indicates Westbrook might actually be worthwhile to keep. Look at his performance prior to the bubble, and tell me 'why not'?

jevjnd likes this.
  8. mightybosstone

Why are those trades the only options and so specific? If Harden is on the block, there's a ton of trades they could make, but you seem stuck on the idea of the No. 2 pick, OP.

And, for the record, I'm not on Team Trade Harden. History has shown us you get pennies on the dollar for superstars, and I'd rather ride this out and give Stone at least a year to see what he can do with the team. I might feel differently if they completely suck next season, but for now, they're at least in the realm of contention. Once Harden's gone, we're staring at 5-10+ years of mediocrity.

AXG, HP3, BigDog63 and 2 others like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Just make it work with Westbrook. jeez.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont understand your poll. Are you asking if we should cave to Harden or are we discussing fantasy options?

Ramo$e likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hard to "make it work" with a player who is one of the worst shooters in the NBA and one of the worst defenders in the NBA costing you $40M a year

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If You Trade Harden . . . .. . Barring some GM being incredibly stupid
    We become the New York Knicks
    for the next 10 yrs

Rocket River

GotGame15, rockbox and Reeko like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

everybody should just try harder then.

It was working before Russ got COVID and hurt his quad. MDA had no plan B when they took away the Rockets ONE play. I'm not laying that all at the feet of Russ. I'm not even a Russ fan, but people out here acting like this guy is absolute trash. I'm old enough to remember Clutchfans turning on CP3 the same way after one marginally bad season.

14. deshen

deshen Member

Whoever doesn't want to win championship here or act to stop this process, he can move on to play wherever else he wants. I don't really care.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...this is true. It is the only strategy they have. But they are still not going anywhere in the West, as constructed.

Westbrook has been absolutely dreadful for what...4 straight postseasons now? Wasn't that what we all used to make fun of him for before he joined the team? You can't overcome the structural detriments Westbrook brings: tanks your shooting, tanks your spacing, tanks your defense, and we know he isn't a high-IQ player. These things are not COVID or injury related.

The Rockets made a valiant attempt at making him a quality player by eliminating any semblance of rim protection our team had, though that was predictably exploited by the Lakers in Round 2.

#15 J Sizzle, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    slothy420, DreamShook, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My loyalty goes with Harden at this point. Unless Tilman sells the Rockets, there is nothing keeping me without Harden.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, exactly. Rockets were humming along pretty good before he got COVID and then injured. He was fitting in great with the overall concept as well...driving to the basket, and NOT just jacking up shots.

The problem in the playoffs wasn't just WB, either. The problem was NOBODY seemed able to step up when Harden was doubled, forcing him to pass. First, the pre bubble WB solved that problem. Second, getting rid of WB AND Harden just leaves you with a team of couldntgetitdones. That team might make the Knicks look GOOD.

18. jevjnd

You and the others are right. The assumption is that Westbrook can only go if it’s worthwhile, but we know that Harden would get a big return. So, basically, I think that what happens with Westbrook would be inconsequential and only worthwhile if there were trades where we wouldn’t have to attach more value to offload his contract. If he interfered with development, he could just be benched. Not sure we could get back positive value for him alone.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

trade him and turtle to the lakers for caruso and picks.

20. jevjnd

Killian Hayes might be a generational talent, and this would be a great way to start with over. I apologize for my lack of creativity, but I’m not sure that I could come up with an experienced player he’d be worth trading for.I don’t see a player like Embiid being worth it. I’d love to hear your ideas. It’s very likely that I’ve missed many obvious options, but I really like a Killian Hayes.