1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seeing how with the upcoming next gen consoles a lot of people are planning to buy TVs and asked questions in the console thread, I figured it's better to have a separate thread.

People who have questions or want to share their TV purchases can feel free to post about it here, I'll also post news from time to time.

General sources which give a good overview:

https://www.rtings.com/tv

https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest

2. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

With the thread break I'll repost question here. I dont move into the new house until sometime in Dec. So I am hoping to find some really great deals in Jan on pricing.

Currently have an LG 75"UHD 4K replaced my 60" Sony that is now in my bedroom. The LG has better picture and darks than the Sony, but doesn't play well with my Sony ES 3100 receiver. I have been looking at 85" sets for the new place and will move the LG into the media room that the kids will primarily use. From what I have read here it seems the Samsung is the best bet and much less than a new Sony 85" XBR-85X950H I have been looking at.

I had paradigm reference in wall speakers with a 7.2 set up in the old house I was very happy with and am now seriously considering Definitive UIW II reference series in a 5.2 set up for the new house.

Curious on any input you genius audiophiles could provide.

Thanks in advance.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What % and what type of games in the next gen systems will actually utilize VRR / 4K@120Hz?

4. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Definitive is awesome. I’ve been using them for 20+ years.

I have towers upstairs along with I wall speakers for. 9.2 atoms.

Downstairs I have a 7.1 with bookshelves instead of towers and in ceiling for the remaining.
    I also have def tech outdoors.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Isnt the Chinese company the best to go with these days? Great TV for amazing price.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Have had plasmas for years but needed a new TV and got the LG OLED C9 last year and love it. I don’t play video games so no clue on that.

Deuce and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the C9 is highly rated and next gen ready
    Good purchase!

Blake likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't think a single high budget game will achieve 4k/120hz, except for random arcade games (but even then it's a difficult task), even a PS6 and XSX 2 will more opt at a stable 4k/60 with Ray tracing.

PS5 and XSX will mostly run at 4k/30 and some cases 4k/60 (often only in performance mode with graphical downgrades), also you'll see some 1440p and 1080p at 120hz.

So regarding 4k/120hz, you don't need to worry for at least a decade in my humble opinion.

For VRR, hdmi 2.1 allows for up to 4k/120hz VRR, while hdmi 2.0 allows 4k/60 and 1440/120. So imo the 4k/120 VRR is totally meaningless for this decade.

Now the problem with the mentioned hdmi 2.0 VRR is that your TV needs to directly support it, for example Samsungs from 2018 and 2019 only support Freesync, which is only available on XBox.
    It is technically possible to do all VRR on hdmi 2.0 though and Samsung has mentioned that many models will get it via a new update or receiver.

As some games will definitely run uncapped in 4k and hover between 40 and 60fps, it is pretty neat to have a VRR capable TV, so you should always look up whether the model has complete VRR or only Freesync (fine on XBox, so far not confirmed for PlayStation).

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks. My less-informed impression was kinda similar to this. I just wanted to ask people who had spent more time researching this. I bought the Sony A8H over prime day and the only HDMI 2.1 feature it has has ARC/eARC. It isn't the TV I use for gaming and it might not ever be, so the lack of those features for gaming didn't bother me too much. Plus, best case scenario, I'm 3 years away from getting a PS5/XBox anyway, as I'm an infrequent gamer (Saturdays only!*) and only play 1 or 2 games over the course of a year. So no need to throw $$$ at the latest gen system.

FWIW the Sony looks great! We'll only use it for streaming stuff, and it does very well in that regard. The built-in Android TV is the first usable smart TV functionality I've ever had - my other, cheaper TVs had bad GUI and/or were too slow.

*I have to out this restriction on myself or I will lose all contact with the outside world.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I have an entry level 2016 4k/60fps TV, dont plan on upgrading.

Just checked its model is the KU6300 samsung. Am I totally phucked for my next gen gaming @Yung-T ??

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well it's alright for gaming, but no wide color gamut or real HDR feeling, so games won't give you a punch as the modern panels. Also no local dimming so I guess blacks look more gray-ish.

But if you don't plan on upgrading I think you aren't completely unsatisfied with the TV.
    I didn't have a good set until 1.5yrs ago and while sometimes wanting to upgrade, still had a great gaming experience.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nice, I have the 65" C9. OLED is the way to go.

The C9 (now CX) supports HDMI 2.1 so it should take advantage of the new consoles that are coming out.

Blake likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm blind as a bat and don't wear glasses when I game from my couch that's like 12ft away from the TV lol. I also am bothered by strong blue lights and pretty much run dim/warm display settings all of the time. Pretty satisfied, I found games like RD2 to be stunning on it.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea that is generally recommended, nearly every out of the box TV is extremely overtuned on the blues and you should change your color settings, white balance and gamma etc.

You can try these settings for a start:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300/settings

Rtings settings are often a bit dim and lack punch tho, so you can adjust to your liking.

Amiga likes this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have had a 2016 55 inch OLED that I bought alongside PS4, although never used it very much.

I recently revamped my PC setup, that I use way more than console and purchased the 2020 48 inch OLED. Right now I am running 1440p @ 120hz. Once I am able to get my hands on an RTX 3090, I will start running 4k @ 120 for non shooters / non racers.

Nothing compares to an OLED. Perfect blacks is something to behold. My only grievance is that Its somewhat annoying that it is a TV and not a PC and I have to have a remote. I wish there was a setting that made it a monitor, so it would hibernate like a PC monitor, but whatever.

sammy and tinman like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

SAME! Loved plasma, still have one. Got a C9 and it goes hard. I hear it's as good if not better than the CX.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I still have a panasonic plasma that's about 7 years old, so I guess I need to start looking into this C9.

I keep waiting for it to crap out but its still going strong.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It wont die, but if your plasma cant handle 4K UHD you're missing out.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't play video games and its great for everything I need.

when 4k becomes somewhat standard I will look to switch.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, the switch from 1080p to 4k isn't that big, so you'll be fine for a while.

A high bitrate and good source is much more important, so a well-done 1080p movie or show will look good unless you sit extremely close to the TV.

jiggyfly likes this.