1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Blatz likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think people really use the term "misleading" or "marketing gimmick" too much and don't understand QLED from a technical standpoint, this is probably due to bad-mouthing from the OLED camp (not one actual display expert would ever say it's a gimmick or just marketing, those words are solely from OLED forums and salesmen).

QLED is not standard LED and has an additional layer of quantum dots, which distribute red, blue or green when facing light and therefore transmit the right color to the pixel, instead of normal led where it's just white.

This leads to a much higher color spectrum and better blacks, allowing a gamut and contrast that can't be reached by the standard led approach, this can easily be verified by tech measurements and eye test.
    It's an advancement of the traditional led approach, Samsung never acted like it's a completely different tech like OLED.

But even if you still care about the LED roots, in the end you shouldn't give a F about the name or tech and just look at what display is better suited to your use case.

Both have their pros and cons, anyone telling you different is biased or doesn't actually understand the performance differences between the two.
    Hence why I don't like it when someone is giving definite buying recommendations without even asking what the other person's usage habits and room conditions are.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

4. tinman

Supporting Member

what's the point of non OLED owners trying to convince OLED owners that they hate their TV?

Do suzuki samurai owners tell McClaren owners that their cars have bad gas mileage?
    Do people renting a room at motel 6 tell people at the Ritz Carlton that they have too many clean towels?

Ziggy likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's not my fault you have the reading comprehension of a toddler and seem to be mentally disabled, but at least it gives me a good laugh reading your posts.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

OLED just means more

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

When the **** did this turn into a tv thread? Why address the ****ing troll? Nobody gives a **** about what you play on. This just goes to show that people will always find someway to argue over nothing.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

its misleading in the sense that the marketing for QLED is so close to OLED that the common person may be trucked to think they’re the same thing. QLED is nice starting at the Q80 models. Anything below that you’re just getting ripped off imo.

I bought a Q60 last November and it looked worse than my six year old HU8550. I was sold on that QLED tech but when I got the tv home it was a crap picture and the frame and stand was just cheap.

If it’s going to be in a bright room with a lot of light by all means get a QLED but at the minimum I would say start at Q80.

I believe the poster said he was using the tv in a media room for movies and gaming. It’s a no brained that he’ll get more out of an OLED in that environment. He won’t miss the color saturation of QLEDs.

Ziggy and tinman like this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Agree that brightness will be a non-issue, but the 7-10yrs could become a problem.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea we should make a separate thread, this turned way off topic.

11. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Guess I'm the odd man out. All 3 of the TVs in my house are older Panasonic plasmas.

One from 2013 and 2 from 2009

tinman likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Modern TVs are under much more stress due to the increased brightness and HDR content, which makes panels last a lot less than with the old content and dimmer displays.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

14. tinman

Supporting Member

These are amazing TVs with great black levels and great viewing angles.
    I had mine for 10 years and upgraded to OLED because I wanted the perfect blacks and view viewing angles. If you ever upgrade from plasma I suggest OLED for same advantages.
    @Ziggy

Ziggy likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

People did want advice on what tv to buy for the new game consoles that can do 4K 120hz with hdr which the new systems can do.
    Not to mention taking advantage of the new hdmi 2.1 standard.

nobody wants to play their New 500$ system on 24 inch Dynex
    @Ziggy

Ziggy likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Quantum dot does help bring newer life in led tv.
    The issue is that it has to be in combination with good full array local dimming to achieve good black levels.
    The cheaper brand companies of TCL and HiSense have models that do this at a much cheaper price point but you may run into quality issues.
    mini LED is the new tech trying to topple the king OLED for picture quality.
    I’m glad Clutchfans who have TVs are talking. We only want the best

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I went ahead and created a dedicated TV thread, so I'd appreciate if this thread went back to the original topic and no trolling.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Nobody is trolling
    @Ziggy wanted to share his great tv that he uses for his games and viewing pleasure and so do I

nobody wants their Spider-Man to look like crap on a dynex tv

they want their 120 FPS and they want wide color gamut and they want fast refresh rates for their call of duty

they want black pink in Dolby vision not grey pink
    @Jontro

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I STILL have a Samsung plasma from 2007! It might not be 4K, but it handles xfinity's overly compressed non-4K feeds majestically to this day. People that appreciate plasmas seem to gravitate towards OLED.

tinman likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member