1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ICYMI] Codman Speaks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Sep 21, 2017.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wonder if Tilman could even break even with a sale of the team right now. Most likely not considering one of the best GMs left, the team is financially capped from making significant moves to win a championship and relations with our foreign sponsors went down the drain due to said GM.

joshuaao, D-rock, GotGame15 and 2 others like this.
  2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Would absolutely love to see Harden in Miami with Spo and JB. Win most certainly get a ring.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. lionaire

lionaire Member

I would love that for him.

LaVert + Dinwiddie + Allen would be a nice place to start but I wouldn't want to build around that core.

Bam + Herro would be awesome but no chance Miami would part with both.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The funny thing is that I've suggested that very package from Brooklyn before but included picks. I think Brooklyn does it without even blinking, even if it were to include 3-4 1sts.

lionaire and HP3 like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, but this year they were number 2 in pace only behind Milwaukee, and Mike D’antoni is known as The Godfather of that style offense. It’s what he wants to do, and absolutely the way they were headed with small ball. Of course James would prefer that system. That’s not to say he can’t be successful doing something else, he’s a great player, but give him the choice and there’s no doubt he’d prefer taking more shots and a fast pace. I think most scorers would.

D-rock likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is the look of things to me:

Harden and Tillman wanted Westbrook. D’Antoni and Morey did not.

Tillman did not want to open the pocketbook for D’Antoni.

Neither Tillman or Harden wanted either of D’Antoni or Morey gone.

D’Antoni felt disrespected, so he bailed.

Morey felt like our window closed with the Westbrook deal, and that his owner made multiple bad decisions that jeopardized the team, so he bailed.

now nobody is happy.

The big giveaway was when Tillman said our basketball ops got “cold feet” about the Westbrook deal. That’s not “cold feet”...what they had was a red alert that it was a terrible deal. Morey probably said something like this:

“if Westbrook learns to shoot, it will increase our championship odds by 5%. If he doesn’t, we’ve got no chance and we’ve totally blown up our window.”

Scarface, joshuaao, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  7. jacoby

jacoby Member

People were scoffing at KAT and the #1 overall pick for Harden and now you want us to take back 3 decent players?

lloyde8 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What does "video game system" mean to you? He gave you evidence that James can average huge numbers despite the pace. Maybe "video game system" means something else to you.

steddinotayto and HP3 like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden isn't playing in a video game system, Harden is a video game system.

You are literally quoting Max Kellerman, think about that. How did Kobe look in D'Antoni's "video game system?"

D-rock, Plowman, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Well, generally speaking that system runs lightning fast, as it did again this year and is it normally does by design. I’d also say that running a non-traditional lineup without a big man kinda goes along with the video game theme. It’s a scorers offense. Again, I’m not meaning to imply James can’t score in a regular scheme, of course he can, but it’s a hell of a lot easier when you’re in a system designed to take as many shots as possible, and when you’re the guy who touches the ball most of every possession. The slower pace the year before last was a weird outlier and not what they wanted, hence the video game roster they ran out towards the end of this season. It’s not an indictment on James. He’s going to find a way to score, that’s what he does, but if it can be made easier for you, of course you’re going to prefer that. That’s just human nature. I probably should have clarified it better. James doesn’t need that system to score, but there’s no doubt it benefits him.

D-rock likes this.
  11. realonemo

realonemo Member

I don't get rocket fans. Do u want to turn into the fcking new york knicks ?

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd agree with you here, after all, I've seen multiple scorers in the past have career years when they were "the man" of their team, however, their efficiency dropped tremendously and it usually did not lead to getting to the playoffs (or having some playoff success, like advancing). James has done it efficiently and has had playoff success as well, granted he hasn't won a championship, but I don't measure success in the NBA by championships.

James could of had a championship in 2017-2018 season. Obviously, he doesn't, but he almost beat one of the greatest (arguably the greatest) teams of all time.

I'm not saying James doesn't deserve criticism, because he clearly does (he could take more mid-range shots to mix it up, he could move more, he could of defended better [prior to 2017 season criticism]), but he deserves a ton of credit for the success this team has had over the years. I get it, maybe you measure success via championships and there is no way I can argue against that, but to pretend that James is just simply a player that can score and put up wild numbers because he is in a specific system, well, I don't agree with it. I do believe you can credit Mike for activating the best version of James Harden, but it's all James Harden what he has been able to do despite being constantly double teamed while doing it at an all time efficiency. Even with no system McHale, James played incredibly well and he could of possibly gotten past the Warriors in 2015 had we not had key injuries to D-Mo and Beverly (who were major contributors that season).

#272 ElPigto, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

want? it doesn't matter at this point. they started that turn 2 years ago and we're getting that much closer. he's already on par as being just as bad of an owner. The staff is the next step then the team will follow and fall in line thereafter

part of me is loving how its blowing up in his face because tilman made this bed. and he's going to have to lie in for years to come

LosPollosHermanos and HP3 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean all dude's play in a video game system now these days. Its just higher usage, that's all. People are copying us. All we did was just give James Harden the ball more. Luka is doing the same thing right now. Same with Giannis. Harden came off the bench and had to share the ball with Westbrook and Durant and was super efficient. He's a system you can rely on if you have a great number 2 on your roster.

D-rock likes this.
  15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I don’t love for any other team to win a championship. Let alone gifting our best player to them to make it happen. If this happens, I’m completely done with my fandom.

Scarface and Ramo$e like this.
  16. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

This bears repeating. Fertitta totally misread his highly paid, highly experienced GM and coach and assumed they just didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on that deal. He thought they were resisting what he felt was an obvious great deal. So not only did he override their expert opinions on the trade and give it a green light, he then BRAGGED to the press about how he was willing to take a risk his GM and coach weren't. He actually thought that divulging that little gem of information made him look good. The guy is not only a f$#king idiot, he's tone-deaf.

#277 topfive, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    BamBam, Scarface, fattz and 3 others like this.
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

When Morey met with Tillman he told him "I told you so".

Just ignore them. They are Heat fans pretending to be Rockets fans. Because nobody cares about loyalty blah, blah, blah, blah. Only this msg board fans would wish their star player would get traded away.

NEWS FLASH!

MOREY IS NOT GETTING US THE BEST DEALS ANYMORE. Did he train Stone well ? We will see. How frustrated must you be to not even want to finish your contract? No sense in being blamed for something you warned against to begin with. Morey is too smart for that. Tillman didn't respect Morey either apparently.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This dude is trolling us now. He's been legit thus far, but now, just trolling us.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Im still very dubious of Bra Bra, I do not understand the love for him. Even he himself is afraid he's gonna be wrong.

Ramo$e likes this.