1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

A demo of PS5's UI and features. Some cool things, though they seem to mostly rely on devs doing extra work.

tmoney1101 and Yung-T like this.
  2. RC Cola

We also have a list of XSX/XSS launch games:
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/15/30-optimized-games-on-xbox-series-x-and-s-on-launch-day/
    I think an embargo lifted on impressions, so there might be some cool new details from various journalists. I haven't really had a chance to dig into that though, other than a brief look at someone checking out if the XSX has heat issues (spoiler: it doesn't).

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

CX you mean! I believe there was an Amazon deal recently on the Sony AG8. But I don't know much about Sony TV's, not since those LCD days. I hear they are pretty much on par with LG OLED.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just watched, having the live feed of your party member's screen is amazing, especially when you can use it as picture in picture. So many possibilities for this feature.

The integration of walkthrough videos etc also is a great extra and will be handy for many games.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How do I get a PS5 at launch? Not standing in a line but I have $.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Acquire majority shares. Hostile takeover. Duh....

8. Beezy

Beezy Member

I've got 3 PS5's on preorder (in case a retailer decides to cancel an order). I'll probably cancel the extras as we get closer to launch as I'm not really wanting to try to sell something like this on Craigslist or whatever and risk getting shot by some rando.

Burger King is giving away some PS5s. You have to buy the 2 for $5 to get a code I think.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why is Sony “hiding” the PS5? XBX has been in hands of journalist, you tubers for weeks. No one yet to to get a PS5. Sounds like Sony is worried about Something.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They had a hands-on for several Japanese media guys, so no, they aren't hiding anything.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/ps5-hands-on-reviews-positive-first-impressions-from-japan

Those who played it were extremely impressed with the cooling especially, say it barely does make any noise and the console plus fans are barely producing any heat.
    Also enjoyed the Dual Sense controller and say you can really get a feel for the distinctive materials and grounds in-game.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Those were Youtubers basically paid by Sony. Nobody, in a non- controlled environment, has had hands-on. Based on numbers, it runs HOTTER than the XBX. Something is up. Less than a month away and no review units. That design is cumbersome.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It wasn't just YouTubers but also a number of gaming journalists.

Regarding temps:
    65c on PS5 vs 58 on XSX and 62 on XBX.
    Those numbers are nothing really, your average gaming rig will run hotter when gaming and you can run up to 80 something without issues.

13. RC Cola

Both systems are doing fine from what I can tell. They might have different marketing plans that involve different schedules and rules for getting journalists involved, but I haven't seen anything to indicate either one is "in trouble" or whatever. Maybe it is due to social media, but I feel like we're hearing and seeing things from these consoles sooner than we'd normally see stuff.

I'd be more worried about software stuff at this point, though even that seems pretty good relative to previous launches (especially since things are more complicated than they were before).

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think the only questionable thing about any of the two consoles is the liquid metal cooling for PS5.
    But they have worked on this for over two years and have a patent for their solution, so I don't think it can be compared to the diy solutions that dry up after a year for many people (think the ps5 has the metal sealed off for example).

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can we work something out? Lol. I am an HONORABLE 99'er and even sold a launch day PS3 at cost to CF member @cwebbster in the past. I bet he doesn't even remember it either. Owning a PS3 early back then was a TREAT. I played Resistance online with Andrew Bynum. Slim pickings online on launch day.

cwebbster likes this.
  16. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Let's make this happen, this is the beauty of our clutchfans community!

I'm looking to upgrade to a tv that maximizes this next gen of consoles. Is the CX the best way to go at the moment? Is it better to wait? Any and all guidance is much appreciated.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The consensus in the OLED community is that the C9 overall is arguably the better option for mixed-use compared to the CX, partially due to price - if you can still even find that model. There is also an E9 model that may be of interest as it has improved surround sound, better consistency from panel to panel (rumored) and a slightly different aesthetic.

But in my opinion, for a gaming-first TV, I would go with the CX. No doubt.

The Q80 or Q90 (I forget which) is the comparable non-OLED option. It seems like a fine TV but after a lot of research and the ole eyeball test, I went OLED and never second guessed it.

Go compare the PQ in the store (if you want to brave Covid) and try to turn off any "vivid" or motion blur settings + view HDR content. That was the biggest factor OLED had in winning me over. In a previous lifetime, I was big on plasma, it takes a lot to wow us plasma people.

If you're going to use it as a computer monitor for several hours you might want to go QLED for peach of mind.

Nippystix likes this.
  18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thank you, I appreciate the thoughtful response. My question for OLED displays, when you game, if you have the same HUD for a FPS (i.e. like Halo or Destiny), with the ammo and health detail on the bottom left of the screen (or where the map is displayed), is there a risk of burn in?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I sometimes hear about it on the older models, like the C7. The C9 and up have new technology to further reduce the chances for burn-in. I believe rtings is doing an ongoing test with the C8 and still is not showing signs of burn-in.

This is embarrassing to admit, I blame Covid, but I have 16 DAYS of MW/Warzone (same HUD) on my C9 in full HDR with near max contrast and backlight, and show no signs of burn-in. But if I was running my PC monitor on it 24/7 I'd worry and likely opt for QLED.

This guy is great, the best in the biz - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcCYOO2uYPnG-21WDOWdwew - all the info you'll ever need. His studies show burn-in isn't an issue on the recent OLEDs.

Rumor is LG is pretty open to replacing the TV, even out of warranty, when burn-in rears its head on the older models.

As a plasma owner that watched sports and gamed and never experienced burn-in, it's not something I worry too much about. Seems... rare.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can you describe your TV usage roughly (gaming, what kind of shows or movies, hours per day, brightness of your room) and how long you want to keep your new TV ideally?

The risk of burn-in is always a factor and will often only appear after a few years (check polls in forums), hence why you can see the same pattern for years now, where the new models supposedly have no burn-in risk and three years later it's a different story.
    And even if you don't have burn-in, by nature OLED will still degrade in brightness and colour saturation over the years. So if you want to keep the TV for 5+ years, OLED isn't the ideal choice.

Regarding content, OLED is producing true blacks, while with QLED you need a good model that has a lot of dimming zones to make up for the different technology.
    The 2019 models were a step down from the Q9FN that had 480 dimming zones, but the new Q90R has the same amount of dimming zones if you go with the 65" model (240 for the 55" model).
    With these, you will have very deep blacks and only see blooming in certain situations, mostly in a pitch black room.

Regarding color representation, OLED can't produce the same gamut and colour volume as QLED, so with QLED you'll have more saturated and brighter colors, which for example is important if you like Anime, Cartoons or bright games.
    OLED on the other hand is pretty good at displaying darker colour palettes which you see in cinematic releases, eg action movies.

QLED is much brighter, so if you watch a lot at daytime and have a window nearby, it's an advantage to go that way. OLED also can be damaged and will degrade when facing sunlight, so if there's a window directly opposite of where the TV will be, you should be really careful.

Both display types have their pros and cons and the top models look great, so it more comes down to the things I've listed that are related to your viewing preferences, TV room conditions and risk regarding burn-in.