1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lue finalizing five-year deal to coach LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...e-finalizing-five-year-deal-coach-la-clippers

Ty Lue is finalizing a five-year deal to become the next coach of the LA Clippers, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Clippers and Lue's representative in the contract talks, Andy Miller, completed negotiations on a deal Thursday afternoon, sources said.

The Clippers' search landed on Lue based upon a confidence that his championship pedigree and playoff successes as a head coach in Cleveland, as well as his strong ability to communicate with players, will resonate within a franchise that underachieved in the 2019-2020 season.

Lue, 43, has had significant support among key Clippers players in the search process, sources said.

Lue is replacing Doc Rivers, whom he spent last season as an assistant under with the Clippers. The Clippers blew a 3-1 lead in the Western Conference semifinals, losing in seven games to the Denver Nuggets.

Chauncey Billups is expected to join Lue's staff with the Clippers, sources said, although he's involved currently in the Indiana Pacers' search for a head coach.

Lue won a championship in 2016 as the Cavaliers coach, reaching the NBA Finals in three straight years. Lue is 128-83 overall and 41-20 in the playoffs in his head coaching career.

---------------

One more off the table

Rocket River

2. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

This makes sense now. Rumor is that Tilman wants JVG and Daryl wanted Lue. This probably means JVG wanted more team control. Apparently he is more of a dictator. Also heard everyone is on the table now outside of Harden. The Rockets are interested in bringing in Embiid as well.

fckbandwagons, Jontro and Dacamel like this.
  3. vick

vick Member

Van Gundy is just like Westbrook. After each game, both put in 100 percent into every game.

4. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Glad he didn't land here without Morey. That would have been the worst case scenario.

saleem likes this.
  5. ball king23

ball king23 Member

this is the worst case scenario we dont have a coach now we have to go with JVG who omg will be back in the era of t mac with no C and not a good team with this small ball will not work now Morey is gone there is no coach and if we go with JVG this will be a bad choice

6. Fantasma Negro

7. adoo

adoo Member

Congrats to the Mexico, Missouri native.

saleem likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Congrats to Thigh Lu

9. TimDuncanDonaut

He was pretty much a lock. Sitting in the wings. The other interviews were almost formality, and maybe drive up his value.

RustyHarden likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Let's be real, we never would've paid him what he wanted anyway.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Good, I didn't want him. I love JVG but I do hope he stays away from the mess that is the Rockets..

Jontro and RustyHarden like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Athletic reports Lue's deal is believed to be worth approximately $35 million over five years, or $7 million annually.

Jontro likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Tilman offered $4M for 2 years, with incentives related to how much he ate at Landry's that could push the contract as far out as $4.1M.

Jontro likes this.
  14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I'm sure Van Gundy learned a lot from his mistakes.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want Atkinson in Houston as the new HC, but I’ll choose JVG over Lucas. JVG with Sam Cassell as his lead assistant along with Lucas is acceptable to me.
    @ApacheWarrior @Deckard

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope you’re right, but I don’t like his micromanaging. I love his passion for the Rockets.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He needs to give half that money to LeBron.

Jontro likes this.
  18. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I am with you on that but we dont know yet from what i hear
    Stephen Silas got a second interview today friday

19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I heard him on the Radio a few years after he got fired. Van Gundy said he admitted his offense was terrible, and liked Adelman's offense. I'm sure he learned a lot from watching games through the years. He will definitely get good assistants around him too.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Does it really matter my friend?

Lucas had a winning % around .650 with Spurs. (2 years) ......poor years with crappy players w/ 76ers/Cavs.

JVG did well with Knicks........but Rockets gave him the boot because Yao and McGrady couldn’t stay healthy.
    I posted a podcast interview with JVG prior to restart/ bubble. Still sounds like “old school” Thibs mentality
    of no load management and over working players through practice. He claimed his teams need to practice
    because some team somewhere was probably out practicing his team . Yeah, yeah, yeah, there is always someone smarter, taller, thinner, fatter, dumber, richer, poorer, stronger, weaker......and yes practicing more. If it equated to more wins then Kawhi not practicing and playing every game would not have resulted a
    Championship with Raptors. Did Yao/McGrady break down because of over practice + games?
    Perhaps contributed?

Cassell had one of the best teams constructed in the Clippers.....up 3-1 and blew it. Yes, he was not the head coach
    but I hold it against Doc Rivers/Ty Lue/ Cassell. I don’t expect coaches to be cheerleaders but I do expect them
    to handle inner strife. I posted in the first round that I heard rumblings that the Clippers were struggling with off
    the court stuff.

Atkinson is a Popovich disciple. Motion offense.......but he ran an offense similar to current Rockets scheme.
    I believe Durant & Kyrie Irving (who were injured this season) got him booted from the team. Why? Apparently
    they didn’t think much of his coaching style or philosophy.........something? Has he won more games
    in Brooklyn with crappy players than Lucas won in 76ers/Cavs with crappy players? If I blame it on poor coaching for Lucas with 76ers/Cavs; then I chalk it up as poor coaching in Brooklyn with Atkinson. Slightly better players in Brooklyn.

I think Morey bailed because Tilman wants JVG.......and deep down he knows that pushes Harden out of Houston.
    Rockets don’t sniff the playoffs without Harden. JVG ends up looking like JVG without Yao/McGrady once
    Harden leaves.

#20 ApacheWarrior, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    saleem likes this.