1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

Good to hear from you Cod. Hope things are well

#541 YOLO, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Who cares? The Rockets "core" and "franchise players" by all accounts, forced Morey into making the disastrous Westbrook trade to begin with, thus alienating him. They deserve his exit. Having Harden's input is fine, but letting him run the show was always going to lead to terrible results.

It's a toxic situation that starts at the very top with Tilman. There's very little future with this group.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, I've been watching since before Hakeem won a title. I was entertained. I took the moral victories where I could. I enjoyed the feeling of brimming potential when we picked up Stevie Franchise, the coup of getting Yao Ming, swooping in on Tracy McGrady and James Harden. But it's been 25 years since we won a title. There's only 30 teams in the league. The genius has been running the show half that time. I understand you can do everything right and still not win. But, how many seasons can you go being happy losing? How long can you be placated by getting a couple more wins than the season before, or taking the eventual champion to a Game 7 before bowing out, or dreamcasting what might have happened if only Player X hadn't been injured in that critical moment? The last time they won a championship was in the previous millennium. And Morey was still in college. So sure, I get your complaint. But there was nothing special about this team. They are just like the 17 other squads we've fielded in the last quarter-century that lost and were forgotten. As my father says, the cemetery is full of indispensable people. Some other good GM will come along sooner or later.

tycoonchip, HP3, Amel and 2 others like this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Got Patrick Beverly from Siberia or wherever

francis 4 prez and daywalker02 like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

There’s nothing special about this team because tilman single handily destroyed it in a span of 2 years. You seem to think it’s on morey. It isn’t. His hands have been tied since day 1 for him to actually do his job. There’s a huge difference and something that’s shocking that there’s people that still don’t understand what’s been going on with this franchise. Many forecasted his departure bc it just reached the end of the road having an idiotic owner that didn’t allow him to do what he’s here to do. Here we are

oh Daryl morey can sign a 5 year extension. Then turn around and quit after year 1 of that because things are all gravy. Nah. He’s smart enough to know when things are just ridiculous and the future is trash

#545 YOLO, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

good to hear from you as always breh. stay healthy and keep us updated

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Franchise players? There is only one and that guy needed the owner to pay way over the lux tax to contend.

This franchise got only a chance if they select a Luka or Lebron in the draft.

Or somehow luck out with Masai Ujiri and Nick Nurse. Or having a great owner.

That's how bleak it is.

House intended a comedic tragedy.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Hope Harden doesn't leave because of this. Tillman needs make a splash with the head coaching hire. Do other things, go above and beyond to keep Rocket's franchise star happy.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Thanks for posting this. I asked yesterday who really wanted this trade. I said this was the beginning of the end for Morey if he wasn’t in favor of this trade. Getting Westbrook resulted in us trading Capela and going ultra small.

I think Morey saw his power being taken away, and he really couldn’t figure out a way to improve the team after trading away our draft picks. Morey just threw in the towel.

I’m not feeling very confident knowing Fertitta is now more involved than ever in building the team.

Shut up and listen doesn’t work very well if you lack knowledge and experience in that particular field.

Richie_Rich, alethios, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Firstly, the roster is played by D'Antoni, not Morey. Tyson Chandler was signed this past season and he is not small. He didn't play not because of Morey, but because D'Antoni style of play. I rather be contending year after-year than be like the 76ers. They tanked and got all the pieces now there are questions on the roster, if the pieces fit?!?!?. Sad he is moving on likely from invasive freedom. As someone who knows a person in the inside, Leslie is better. Leslie loves animals :)

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Damn 2020! Well, I was okay with MDA leaving. GM being un-tested and worse a noob owner mingling, I'm starting to get nervous about our pieces and how they react and fit in. At least 2-years to fully integrate management. Believe me ya'll, this is rebuild.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

On the positive side, we will no longer have a "Live by the 3, die by the 3" offense. I felt like Morey wanted a crappy offense like that.

htwnbandit likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Great to hear from you #BIGCOD

14. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

What a messsssssssss.... TILMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just read this ****ing thread there’s literally nobody mentioning harden. He ****ed us. He’s a sensitive little b**** that has shows he’s completely incapable of playing with anybody that calls him or his play into question. So he could play with his buddy and Tilly is big enough of a buffoon, we traded for the brick.

James harden set this franchise back by 5 years at least. Picks for him ASAP, and hope that he goes to a bottom dweller team

CapelaOnlyFan and Jontro like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Harden was the only reason we were competitive for the past 8 years but Hardens insistence on helping with roster moves is why the team never got over the hump. Adding WB was the death knell to this team and blame lays on him and Fertitta. I’m glad the core is upset because they should be. It’s a poorly designed roster with little assets to improve. Throwing away picks for the past 6 years has been one of the worst team building moves I’ve ever seen. Sadly with Tilman at the helm it’s not getting better.

HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So you hate Harden AND Westbrook. Hey, you changed your avatar.

18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

How the hell do we have a GM now who was general counsel for Toyota center and business ventures... wow.

was this just a next guy in line, cheap hire since McNair left? Tilman was notorious for promoting staff from within to save costs in his other businesses.

19. Asian Sensation

Not happy? Bruhh looked like a kid on Xmas morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember Jimbo.... this was YOUR wish.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-ne...stbrook-know-how-to-play-with-each-other/amp/

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes. I have defended James Harden for a very long time now, but this past offseason was a referrendum on him. If he actually wanted to win a ring at all costs, he would have sat down with Morey and discussed the best path, not just demand that we trade for his friend who's a far inferior player that costs us tons of picks. Now...would Tilman have actually paid for such a scenario? No. But it didn't help that Harden was actively going against Morey. 2018 was a beautiful team that deserved a ring, and I credit Harden and Morey for leading the way there, but ever since then it has been shortsighted move after shortsighted move. It's been a combination of ownership, Harden, and Morey to a small degree, and because of that, they deserve their current situation where they will all never win a ring, at least in Houston.

Many on here have been considered "omg so negative!!!!1!" for simply pointing out the obviousness of where this was all headed. The last two years have been all the signs of a terribly run franchise, and anybody who is surprised by Morey stepping down has not been paying attention.